charli xcx with christine and the queens - new shapes

sus

This is an OK Charli XCX song but it gets sickly sweet pretty quick—shower not a grower, you could say

sheils' theory, he told me i have to credit him, is that her fans are into her cos of what a rubbish amateurish pop star she is
teenie in front of the mirror with the hairbrush microphone
Yes this was my thought as I was Nodding along, dressed like my dad in a sea of glittering twinks. Camp as corpses says. A relatable. The artifice is the appeal, a celebration of the lack in authenticity

The crowd… The clothes on these nerds was so so bad. All the worst elements of early 2000s shit clashing together. So Britney smashing into nu metal and matrix but with mullets. Apocalyptic in a way

Charli is effective because she fails at being a pop star, shes not exceptional in voice or looks or dancing or anything but ironises stardom in a way that makes her fans feel they could be her. indulges the hairbrush microphone fantasy

It’s really just about the Christine verse. I really like her a lot. A beautiful wee French midget lesbian Michael Jackson tribute act

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
but the whole video give off that impression, not pop stars but people pretending to be pop stars, thats where the fun is located to a large extent

The latest LP/tour is self-consciously leaning into "I've never been a good dancer but still gonna have a crack at all this choreography/pop star stuff". Its her last album under contract with Warner and her career arc, ostensibly at least, has been all about battling for artistic independence so you could read it as doing on her own terms now the polished packaged performance head office wanted her to do a decade ago. Perhaps. It's always been some breed of performance one way or another.

I watch this concert once a week. You can see the difference in someone who clearly isn't drilled in working the stage and all that, compared to her trying it on presently.

She definitely does the relatable / para-social thing very very well, that and all the above is a product of being an Extremely Online, which in its own way is probably hard pull off if you aren't.

linebaugh

they succesfully retconned polachek into pop stardom. people talk about her. shes on tik toks. shes played in applebees. gus took the bait so hard the hook its poking out of his ribs. hes canvassing for the evil empire and happy to do it

linebaugh

The crowd… The clothes on these nerds was so so bad. All the worst elements of early 2000s shit clashing together. So Britney smashing into nu metal and matrix but with mullets. Apocalyptic in a way
every single person I tattoo looks like this. Ive had to institute rules about what I tattoo to ward off the hoarde

Last edited:

linebaugh

I dont know if its bladee's fault per se but hes the artist that got launched into superstardom because of this aesthetic wave. hes gotta be the most popular artist amongst zoomers right now

linebaugh

alot of this is the natural progression of japan and anime aesthetics into culture. you can get the same feeling now but you dont have to be an orientalist and/or pervert.

luka

The latest LP/tour is self-consciously leaning into "I've never been a good dancer but still gonna have a crack at all this choreography/pop star stuff". Its her last album under contract with Warner and her career arc, ostensibly at least, has been all about battling for artistic independence so you could read it as doing on her own terms now the polished packaged performance head office wanted her to do a decade ago. Perhaps. It's always been some breed of performance one way or another.

I watch this concert once a week. You can see the difference in someone who clearly isn't drilled in working the stage and all that, compared to her trying it on presently.

She definitely does the relatable / para-social thing very very well, that and all the above is a product of being an Extremely Online, which in its own way is probably hard pull off if you aren't.
this was a good post. i dont think i'll watch that concert once a week cos im not mentally ill but i watched 2 minutes of it and i can see its an important document and im grateful youve brought it to our attention

Doing so involves being forgiving of her awkwardness, embracing it. There seems to be quite a lot of deliberately embarrassing stuff going on