Amapiano

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Sets from these Major League guys appear to be ground zero in it really catching on outside SA this last while.

Some of their vids have an interesting departure from the trad Boiler Room style set-up where the camera is going around the party all night and the vocalists steps out of the scene during their own tracks.

The tunes sound pretty great out and make for serious blends with other stuff down around 110. Which is good cause you definitely couldn't listen to hours of this stuff alone.

Have been playing this non stop since last year.

forclosure

i'm just saying Amapiano at least to me is the kind of music you bop your head to while you got a drink in your hand just taking in what you see around you

Not saying that you can't dance to it like the ting Sectionfive posted shows but it's more about a mood rather than bussin a skank and that

forclosure

you know like how because of all the vaporwave shit Sade and Enya have now been reclaimed as "important and influential" musicians?

similiar to that it's more about mood than "content" even if the music itself is considered "empty"

cossrooper

It's inherently not 4x4 music, there's no kicks. I've always seen it as "weightless" house, in a way. Similar to how there was a weightless grime thing.

If you watch videos of actual South African DJ's playing it, it is almost always a daytime thing, well lit, at a Cafe or rooftop bar or something. It does not appear to be something that is being played in dark red light basements, at least at the source. so that matches you guys' description of it being balearic or mood based rather than straight up boom-boom dance music.

cossrooper

Also, because it's a daytime thing, the scene seems to be pretty flashy. Everybodys got Gucci gear on and shit and there's bottles of champagne and there's cameras and people doing dances and stuff. way more of a hip hop/top 40 club vibe and pretty separate from like European club scene. not a value judgement either way but just an observation.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Dunno, can think of a few NY/NJ shindigs that were daytime and outdoors, grills on (I went for the food!), mix of generations too, full on community doing its thing

version

You do get some stuff done at night, but it's the same sort of vibe and doesn't look like a club thing. It's people hanging around with drinks and whatnot and the odd person dancing. An event with a DJ rather than the DJ being the event.

cossrooper

Dunno, can think of a few NY/NJ shindigs that were daytime and outdoors, grills on (I went for the food!), mix of generations too, full on community doing its thing
definitely, you're right. and in fact this weekend in NY everything I did was in the afternoon grilling and house music and stuff. but there is something different feeling about these amapiano vids... it's probably just the cameras tbh. also maybe me and my friends all dress like shit 🤷‍♀️