Marlon James

forclosure

Also you never answered my question, who is your favourite rapper?
Man I got like 10-15 and it changes i never have it fixed

Like starlito,kurupt, Sadat x, messy marv,drakeo the ruler, Sean Price,P.E.A.C.E. from freestyle fellowship, Ka,bandgang Lonnie bands,Zuse

forclosure

I reckon I could do it easily, I'm quite quick. I reckon your very slow. Plus I know the area.
you do know the area but I doubt it guys who are this deep into Arthur Jafa don't come across as having swift hands

You're the kind of man who would bring the guardian to a building site and fake shock at somehow having a copy in your bag

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Josey Sales is interesting in that her never sympathetic at all but when he "mysteriously" dies in his cell you miss him
there's a strong element of social banditry in the novel's gangsters - at least when in they're in JA, in the 70s

reflecting the strong vein of social banditry - outlaw as folk hero - running through the JA badman tradition, i.e. The Harder They Come etc

I think James does an excellent job of showing how the reality is - unsurprisingly - decidedly less romantic and more complicated

i.e. there is a sense of the gangsters as lumpen rebels, but at the same time they're employed as enforcers and tools of oppression against their own people and communities - cooptation has, I believe, been a common response to banditry from the state

Josey Wales is the smartest and most self-aware of the gangsters, the only one iirc who seems to grasp just how they're being used by CIA et al and what the means, so even if he's too calculating and self-interested to be sympathetic like Papa Lo, you can still mourn his demise at the hands of the Man

forclosure

there's a strong element of social banditry in the novel's gangsters - at least when in they're in JA, in the 70s

reflecting the strong vein of social banditry - outlaw as folk hero - running through the JA badman tradition, i.e. The Harder They Come etc

I think James does an excellent job of showing how the reality is - unsurprisingly - decidedly less romantic and more complicated

i.e. there is a sense of the gangsters as lumpen rebels, but at the same time they're employed as enforcers and tools of oppression against their own people and communities - cooptation has, I believe, been a common response to banditry from the state

Josey Wales is the smartest and most self-aware of the gangsters, the only one iirc who seems to grasp just how they're being used by CIA et al and what the means, so even if he's too calculating and self-interested to be sympathetic like Papa Lo, you can still mourn his demise at the hands of the Man
It's interesting because he's somebody whose explained more than once why violence in his books are what they are and it's because he wants to longer on them in ways that other mediums don't because they're hoping the viewers don't pay no mind to it

That calculation and self interest is what a usually the big divider between the generations of criminals and goons and the older guard of you really pressed some of them why they did all that they did they really couldn't tell you

padraig (u.s.)

That calculation and self interest is what a usually the big divider between the generations of criminals and goons and the older guard of you really pressed some of them why they did all that they did they really couldn't tell you
initial generation often has some kind of resistance purpose, even if it's just blindly lashing out against injustice and can't be articulated

if that generation survives and prospers, it becomes a business, its own power structure

new generation comes along and 1) isn't desperate, or as desperate as the founders 2) is more interested in business opportunities

banditry is at cross-purposes with organized crime

organized crime wants to coopt power structures. bandits bring down bad heat, and get gunned down in the street.

it was the major theme of that John Dillinger movie Michael Mann and Johnny Depp did awhile back

Dillinger and his ilk as anachronism in the era of crime as large-scale, organized business

padraig (u.s.)

and yeah I'll have to check out his first two at some point

I'd assume w/o looking into it that the social bandit badman thing harks back to escaped slaves and maroon communities and so on, in folk memory

sounds like The Book of Night Women gets into that era - sounds like a really interesting book

I'm somewhat familiar with Haitian sugar plantation slavery, which was unimaginably brutal, can't JA was much better if any