serendipity

catalog

do you try to cultivate it?

if so, how?

i used to like it back when we had a narrow bandwisth, just 4 channels and limited radio, how you would come across stuff and just watch .

ive recently left youtube on autoplaty in the backgrtound as a way to get it a bit

catalog

What's difficult about youtube is that you are requited to constantly interefer with the ads. I want something that can just be on and moves without ads. I suppose I just have to pay for it

catalog

Like second hand bookshops as well. I don't bother a lot of the time now cos just go on amazon but never eg buy a book based on cover or quick flick through which I used to do a lot.

catalog

Fucking mixcloud putting you on some really duff paid for promotion podcast when you finish the mix you wanted. Soundcloud used to be ace for discovery.

Leo

do you try to cultivate it?

isn't the point of serendipity that it can't be cultivated? I guess you can open yourself up to more opportunities for it (like leaving YT running for hours), but you can't make it happen.

catalog

isn't the point of serendipity that it can't be cultivated? I guess you can open yourself up to more opportunities for it (like leaving YT running for hours), but you can't make it happen.
Yeah I mean what do you do that facilitates it happening more.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
What's difficult about youtube is that you are requited to constantly interefer with the ads. I want something that can just be on and moves without ads. I suppose I just have to pay for it
You've never heard of free adblockers?!

catalog

They're shut they cause as many problems as they solve. I use a lot of streaming sites for films and cba turning the extension off and on

version

uBlock Origin's great, takes a second to turn on or off and you can do it for individual sites and pages.

catalog

I know that's the one I've got you told me about it ages ago but I still cba. That's basically the difference for my generation. We cba to learn anymore Internet bollocks

• Haha
Reactions: Leo

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I know that's the one I've got you told me about it ages ago but I still cba. That's basically the difference for my generation. We cba to learn anymore Internet bollocks
"They're worthless because they require me to expend literally a second of my precious time to make them do what I want." 🤣

Leo

most of these interesting sites that you love so much wouldn't exist without the revenue they generate from ads. do you still illegally download music mp3s too? don't be so fucking cheap, you fucking cheap-ass bastards!

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
What's the difference between dling and listening on a streaming platform? Especially if you're listening to 90% older stuff like me?

0.000001$ to the artist? I'll stick with soulseek.

Leo

if everyone thinks that way, @pattycakes_, all those older artists will be out their quarterly $13 check from spotify and will have to drain their bank accounts for that pint and pack of smokes.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Most people's computers are online all the time and they use stuff like youtube and spotify for convenience. So I don't see that happening. If my laptop was online all the time (it's not) I'd just use youtube and soulseek for the stuff not on yt.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
a *few old blogs were unreal for pilfering obscure electronic music, giving you the chance to listen affordably in a way usually processed out and about or with mates

been gone so long can’t remember many, Lovefingers was one towards the very end who kept low bitrate mp3’s of single tracks rather than zipped lp folders, sounds your ears were drawn to could be explored freely and, while LF didn’t reintroduce too many secret weapons, his picks were fun

* with hindsight don’t know if that was a help or hindrance as my own brain was programmed by sleeve art filing recognition systems and this reboot created incalculable scattered folders of digital music, usually catalogued more orderly in physical formats

Leo

back in the early music blog/napster days, I actually felt nervous the first few times I downloaded a song or album. I was convinced I was going to get caught and have my internet service cut off. I still occasionally DL tunes or albums from blogs or rip a track from YT if I want it and can't find a digital copy for sale or used/cheap on cd. I don't do streaming, probably doesn't make much sense but I just fucking hate what it did to artists royalties and can't bear to give them money every month. fuck it, I'd rather own the music anyway.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I did buy a newish Maurice Fulton plus one of his older ones off of BC a while back, but in gen me buying anything I'm listening to nowadays wouldn't get anywhere near the artist's pocket. Streaming sucks from the artist's perspective. No two ways about it. But, a bit like with the music blogs of old as hands said, it does allow for younger people to explore older, more obscure music, which is a good thing. I just don't know how many of the younger gen are even doing that. It looks like most people are happy to have their playlists curated for them. And when it comes to spotify, those algos are largely influenced by the few major record labels who are trying to squeeze money out of their bigger legacy acts.

Bit of a rock and a hard place right now.

Reactions: Leo