do you ever feel like Corona - The Rhythm of the Night is maybe actually best song ever?

do you ever feel like Corona - The Rhythm of the Night is maybe actually best song ever?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
yeah it is. It's also my karaoke song, i was doing it at my mates party in a bar last year and it sounded awful just me and the instrumental playing low. Then my mate jumped on the decks and mixed the full tune with me singing and dropped it into the next chorus, everyone went nuts, i got a kings chair etc, amazing moment

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
They both remind me of running around sticky floored youth clubs. there's something scary and seductive about those big romantic pop house bangers that resonated and communicated a feeling even before id been in a club or fallen in love etc

I've never been in a youth club, thank allah. Teenage Body Odour is bad enough.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
They both remind me of running around sticky floored youth clubs. there's something scary and seductive about those big romantic pop house bangers that resonated and communicated a feeling even before id been in a club or fallen in love etc
There's something painfully nostalgic for me about the trancey synths in this1/

1994 I was 9 years old and death didn't exist

Only the rhythm

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
there's something so endearingly Western in this forum, despite all of your antagonisms with Crowl.

People still don't get that my championing of gabber/hard techno, techstep, darkside jungle, raging 303s, is an eastern (mis)recognition/misappropriation.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I did contemplate actually doing that, but in the current clubbing climate it might not make sense to remove the more euro housey/handbaggy elements as this is a nice middle ground for when you have to dj for a 2022 crowd of younger folks. Obviously a lot of you aren't djs and so what younger people are actually playing in clubs, or dancing to doesn't matter so much

If I cut out the bits I consider cheese and maybe slow it down a bit... and then add in something extra that I haven't thought of yet, I could transform it into something that I would play out. And, for better or worse , the small crowds I play to in Portugal are so disconnected from any current climate or trends in clubbing that I really don't have to consider that sort of thing at all.

tomfun

If I cut out the bits I consider cheese and maybe slow it down a bit... and then add in something extra that I haven't thought of yet, I could transform it into something that I would play out. And, for better or worse , the small crowds I play to in Portugal are so disconnected from any current climate or trends in clubbing that I really don't have to consider that sort of thing at all.
Have at it, I am sure you'd do an excellent job.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
S'alright. fun, well constructed cheese but that's about it.
obviously this is a valid if drearily literal take

of course on one level - the most straightforward level - well-constructed cheese is exactly what it is

even on those simply pragmatic terms it's a true gem in the long and venerable tradition of Italo-[disco, house, dance, etc] cheese

but this thread and the feeling that prompted it is about the odd magic the art can sometimes create, often unintentionally

why does The Rhythm of the Night speak so strongly to a couple of old hardcore punks like me and my buddy?

why did Clair Denis feel that of all 90s pop-house songs this one should capstone the elegiac quality of her take on masculinity and queerness?

these are really questions about why art provokes the feelings it does, and in that sense not really answerable

padraig (u.s.)

Was this song known in the UK when the Corona song came out? As in, was it known that it was sort of a loose cover, or was it just assumed that the Corona one was an original?
this I had never heard before, thanks for that

anyone who has any familiarity w/the Italo-cheese tradition knows that even by dance music standards it is an impossibly tangled web of remakes, ripoffs, uncredited covers, and so on, so it's hardly surprising

The Rhythm of the Night is pretty clearly a vastly superior version but I'm not sure why it generates that odd magic in a way the original does not

padraig (u.s.)

and yeah I mean Italohouse had already undergone a critical reappraisal and been recuperated by the reissue/revival-industrial complex

so not surprising at all that it's moved on to Italodance, esp as it's such a short distance to travel

everything once thought uncool must inevitably be reappraised. the reissue-industrial complex is a gaping maw that must be fed.

and there will be always some Gabber Eleganza types ready to put an intellectual varnish on and make it respectable

I think truly great cheese tunes like The Rhythm of the Night can sometimes defy that recuperation by the cool industry tho

that they can be so fucking unreservedly great on their own uncool terms that even reappraisal by coolness arbiters can't diminish that greatness

padraig (u.s.)

I do wonder if the sudden comeback of eurohouse and other similarly mawkish styles of music is a result of young people who run clubnights playing more hyperpop and nightcore in their sets. Some of the events i have witnessed have been leaning into it so far that you'll hear all types of twee japanese computer game breakcore and k-pop next to your Sophie's and 100 gecs type stuff and the dancefloor will be going off.

I noticed that previously respectable d&b djs who are maybe mid to late 20s will be incorporating happy hardcore and cheesier jungle techno into their sets, whereas the 18-25 jungle djs are often just straight up playing toytown happy hardcore, gabba, 160-200bpm remixes of the absolute cheesiest pop songs.

So it would make sense for people who are plugged into the scene to be taking notice of what young people are actually embracing on the dancefloor, and then try to incorporate some element of it as either an entry point, or just to feel like they are staying current.
this jives with my old guy impression of younger, especially queer people, here in Chicago

I don't go to any shows very often but when I do they're usually diy hardcore (the original kind - punk - tbc, not happy, or gabber)

and idk about other places but here there are long-running crossover threads between punks and dance music

so DJs often play between bands and it is usually a fucking endless barrage of happy hardcore and melt your face acid techno stuff

which as you say seems to be trending recently more toward happy hxc, toytown, intense cheese over the banging, brutal, etc

and I get the further impression from people more in dance music proper that that's the case there as well but idk how much exactly

padraig (u.s.)

yeah it is. It's also my karaoke song, i was doing it at my mates party in a bar last year and it sounded awful just me and the instrumental playing low. Then my mate jumped on the decks and mixed the full tune with me singing and dropped it into the next chorus, everyone went nuts, i got a kings chair etc, amazing moment
yeah there it is

it's like that famous moment of Folamour dropping Abba at a Boiler Room thing