Afro-futurist Films

IdleRich

IdleRich
One more thread tonight. I really enjoyed (ok with a few provisos) Neptune Frost the other day and it made me think of how few films in this genre I've seen and how little I know about it. Had a google around but - apart from Space is the Place - I'm not really sure where I should be starting. Also I'm struggling to find them with English subs.
Educate me on this please.

This is the trailer for Neptune Frost in case you didn't see it before

One film that did look interesting was this, some kind of vampire thing going on I think

rubberdingyrapids

how did you see neptune frost? i really want to see it.

the term afro futurism seems to have been broadened way beyond its original meaning recently (it not just black sci fi, but basically 'alternative' black realities, which can include any number of things like daughters of the dust which is odd to me as its a historical film or touki bouki which is a road movie basically), but other films like this:
space is the place, brother from another planet, black panther, sorry to bother you.

IdleRich

IdleRich
how did you see neptune frost? i really want to see it.

Just googled it and watched it on 123movies, not really the full on wide-screen experience I know but was the best I could manage.

the term afro futurism seems to have been broadened way beyond its original meaning recently (it not just black sci fi, but basically 'alternative' black realities, which can include any number of things like daughters of the dust which is odd to me as its a historical film or touki bouki which is a road movie basically), but other films like this:
space is the place, brother from another planet, black panther, sorry to bother you.

Yeah you're right actually I remember seeing Sorry to Bother You being described in a Guardian article as part of a new wave of Afro-futurism when I saw it. I wonder what else was included in that, probably Jordan Peele I guess but not sure what else.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Ah, I've found the article and I was wrong, it's actually about Afro-surrealism not Afro-futurism which while presumably related could also have a totally different meaning. I suppose that it says something about how I think about it cos Futurism and Surrealism would not really be thought of as in any way similar if they weren't both prefixed by Afro... or maybe putting the same prefix in front of two words can't help but link them.

Anyway, this is the article I was thinking of

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/dec/06/afro-surrealism-black-artists-racist-society

IdleRich

IdleRich
Probably not Afro-futurist at all but the BFI sent me an email this morning telling me to watch these two films and it's too much of a coincidence to not mention it

version

I doubt it falls under afro-futurism given the story and setting, but Belly feels afro-futurist to me.

tumblr_nfh45oxXDE1rkm21ko9_640.png

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Just saw this thread, while looking for another film thread. Is this really the sum-total of our knowledge in this field?

That is sad... and probably racist, come on guys, think a little harder, please. Or surely some of you seen Neptune Frost by now...