The internet's impact on music megathread

sus

The wasteland was mass cultural event.
OK not to get distracted here but what is the source because I haven't heard this, and the printing numbers on those first editions are like, triple digits

Also it's the Waste SPACE Land you heathen philistine

sus

You could talk to people who don't put stock in "the Discourse".
No they are also enmeshed, where do you think they get the idea to watch Marvel movies and listen to Tay Tay? it's interminable, it's just shallower rungs of hell, the structure is the same the only difference is how deep you go

linebaugh

OK not to get distracted here but what is the source because I haven't heard this, and the printing numbers on those first editions are like, triple digits

I took a ts eliot class in college, maybe they lied to me, but we watched a document that talked about all of london, even the commoners, getting wrapped up in it. let me try and find it

version

No they are also enmeshed, where do you think they get the idea to watch Marvel movies and listen to Tay Tay? it's interminable, it's just shallower rungs of hell, the structure is the same the only difference is how deep you go

Print this out and pin it above your desk.

Screenshot from 2022-10-17 19-40-26.png

• Love
Reactions: sus

version

Someone watching a Marvel movie isn't as exhausting as someone fully invested in Twitter 'takes'.

version

I got sucked into reading celebrity gossip a lot recently and could feel it melting my brain. It's like a juicier, shallower parapolitics with a much more bountiful supply and the people seriously invested in it are completely unhinged. They've managed to combine the worst of the mainstream with the worst of the fringes and have cultivated a conspiracy theorist mindset around stuff like which celebrity is dating which and why someone got kicked off a film, plus they're all in on the God awful neoliberal therapy speak.

linebaugh

I cant find it, oddly hard thing to google. but TS eliot wrote CATS, I dont need to defend his popularity

version

The original subject of the thread is a real 'medium is the message' question.

Is music objectively worse or has the internet, i.e. the delivery system, just altered or damaged the way we consume it?

linebaugh

I dont think' is music worse' the question though. I think saying its worse is the silly sentiment suspended is railing against

Reactions: sus

linebaugh

I guess trying to frame the question as any sort of value assessment is silly.

I definitely think pop and rock music in the mainstream are worse but I think thats as much to do with those genres in the narrow framing that allows them to exist as 'popular' have run out of ideas which I dont think can be attributed primarily to the internet.

version

I guess trying to frame the question as any sort of value assessment is silly.

I go back and forth on this. It does seem impossible but not at least trying to seems to lead to the current point where you've got adults who live off children's media having a tantrum when someone like Scorsese says that that's what it is.