apple music top 100

shakahislop

Dove into the pitchfork top 100 on another flight today (well not all of it its 7 hours long). I enjoyed it more as I got drunker I’ve got to say, but it took four whiskeys, some of the anthemic stuff felt more aligned with my mood as a result, and there was a really good extended house/techno tune about Marseille (Marseille is the most conceptually perfect place in Europe so they were onto a winner before I even heard the tune).

As I’ve already said in this thread, computers are everywhere. Everything is tight, even the stuff which is based on a guitar or a bass or whatever is processed and quantized. There’s a ton of detail in the beats and the rest of the production, and vocals are almost uniformly processed, all kinds of effects, panning in one ear, close-mic’d whispers, multi-tracked, screwed up and screwed down pitches, vocals starting on the right side with one set of effects and ending on the left side with a different set of effects, almost none of it sounds like someone singing or rapping in a room. There are also an absolute fuck ton of random sounds buried in the mix of a lot of tunes, super maximalist production. Beats are everywhere but no drumkits. All of this stuff is computer music first and foremost. It’s quite amazing how comprehensive it is. It’s a bit reminiscent of the 80s I think in that respect, though I’m sure I’m not the first person to point that out.

Heavy basslines don't seem to be popular at the moment. Loads of really deep punishing bass drums though, all over the shop. There’s one pretty good tune by Hagop Tchaparian which has a techno intensity and most importantly has thumbnail art of someone stakeboarding on the Williamsburg bridge.

Lyrically the most striking thing is the number of lyrics about how good your own pussy is. Five years ago I thought that kind of tune was amazing, real progress, but I’ve got to say I’m pretty sick of it by now. Although it is still striking and definitely not boring. With the exception of sexual politics (there’s a pretty good electro tune about sexualization of teenage girls), politics is entirely absent.

There’s some soft rock on it, the kind of smack bang in the middle of the road thing with a tinge of country that I would have expected pitchfork to shy away from. Actually there’s a country-americana thing going on throughout the pitchfork top 100, things like Big Thief, Angel Olsen, Plains, that I suppose has always been an influence running through the kind of stuff they cover. Probably if you’re in the US fiddles and that kind of thing, those country signifiers, have completely different semiotics, maybe represent a different set of allegiances. I did like alt-country back in the day but the stuff here sounds more like the pop-country with some of the southern edges shaved off.

I was surprised by how shit it was overall. It’s a good exercise for realizing how good the music I actually listen to normally is though. Overall the pitchfork selection it feels quite identity-less, taken as a whole. It’s the middle of the road of various not particularly innovative genres plus some rap. So exactly what you’d expect. Except that they really don’t seem to be interested in indie rock any more. Maybe no-one is now. Even the arctic monkeys tune on there doesn’t sound anything like indie. There’s a lot more rap than there is indie, without exaggeration. Good riddance.

shakahislop

a noble undertaking, shaka. I'm vaguely curious about what they constitute as the best of the year, but not enough to actually dive in.

This one's for all your hard work:

i quite like it as an exercise, it's pretty engaging if you approach it as something analytical rather than expecting to actually like any of it. the way that popular music twists and evolves along with the technology and collective tastes is something that's probably been theorised to death but its definitely not over. people are looking for affects that they need in their lives for one reason or another and music is still one of the ways that everyone is self-medicating. me included. there's the associated question for self-reflection as well: particularly with the apple music top 100 why do other people get something out of this en masse whereas i need something more esoteric?

one other thing that jumps out about pitchfork as an assemblage is given that they could probably get any music writer they wanted to write for them, why does it as an entity gravitate towards music that's so boring?

Last edited:

Leo

100%, mvuent, a travesty. The only use for Granny Smiths is in a pie, not eaten off the tree.

Leo

An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Good form of roughage, helps keep the digestive track flowing smoothly.

IdleRich

IdleRich
the literal-ness and directness of the lyrics of most of it feel very much of the moment. that's a trend that's everywhere, in all artforms,

Well isn't this cos you're allowed to say anything you like now, no need to ask for a hotdog for your roll, just call it Ram Your Dong In My Cunt and you'll be good. As always there is a tension between the increased possibilities of relaxed rules, and the fact that allowing absolutely anything removes the need for subtlety and also arguably a lack of illicitness can remove thrills.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The fact that allowing absolutely anything removes the need for subtlety and also arguably a lack of illicitness can remove thrills.

Or, as in the catchy new phrase I've come up with has it "Everything is permitted, nothing is true"

shakahislop

Are those sounds in there Armenian or am I being misdirected?
yeah he's half armenian half british apparently. good skills hearing that in the tune. i guess i got a general 'eastern' vibe from bits of it but would never have been able to pick out armenia.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Bored at parents' house I've been listening through some year end lists too... notably Crack (free London based magazine that we picked up in Oxford), Nightshift (free Oxford based magazine that I picked up in Oxford) and The Guardian (free Manchester based magazine that I picked up on the internet) and my detailed analysis is that they are - almost - all terrible.

One thing that nobody has mentioned here but featured high on most lists - number one on Crack - is Ethel Cain? Anyone know anything? Sounded like utter bollocks to me, turned her off after half a tune.

IdleRich

IdleRich
yeah he's half armenian half british apparently. good skills hearing that in the tune. i guess i got a general 'eastern' vibe from bits of it but would never have been able to pick out armenia.

I just guessed that from the name not the sounds. Hence what I said about being misdirected... like that Nicholas Jaar one where the video is filmed at a party in Georgia and you (I) sort of assume the samples are Georgian but they are actually from Chile or something.