Films you've seen recently and would recommend WITH reservations

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
civil war is pretty cool. some good stuff in there. but its all a bit hazy. a film about war photographers but not that much depth on that. a film about a civil war but not much really on the politics. gets intense near the end, but up til then its a bit of a slow/intermittent burn with some truly weird music choices that i am assuming are meant to be irreverent but just come off tone deaf. alex garland can obviously direct, but not sure he can write, or think as well. a bit like a more conceptually ambitious edgar wright.
saw this in the cinema last night and have enjoyed it as well. i have a weak spot for road movies with all its obligatory scenes such as getting gas at the deserted gas station and dealing with all the weirdos. i agree with you that the music was a bit off at times, especially the de la soul track that started right after that very intense and bloody shoot out was a strange choice. it made the film a bit cartoonish.

DLaurent

Escape from San Quention 1957 a prison noir with a good actor in the form of Richard Devon, recognise him from somewhere else, almost gave up on YouTube films though due to ads.

DLaurent

Ah yeah, I thought it had stopped working so I disabled it a few months back, but it seems to work fine, cheers.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Late Night With The Devil - I enjoyed it a lot. I thought it was a genuinely original idea, pretty much a play (or could be) with virtually all the action taking place in a single room - the TV studio for a Letterman style show called Nightowls Are Not What They Seem - and the bits outside of it could easily be dispensed wirh if required.

So ultra-low budget with even the bloke playing the main guy being unknown to me, minimal fx until the end and so on. It kept me watching and interested and i genuinely enjoyed the tacky 70s talkshow feel. So why the reservation? Well, for a film that is nominally a horror it's just not very scary, which is an issue right?

Also i should say, at the start it begins with one of the longest voice-over narration exposition type things I've ever heard. Watching that it seemed to me that someone had heard the phrase "show don't tell" and just gone fuck it. I mean it's so far in the opposite direction that it feels deliberate, I almost felt I had to respect the idea of breaking one of the most fundamental rules of cinema so extremely right as the very first thing that happens in the film.

nb one of the characters is based on The Amazing Randi (though much more of a wanker as far as I can tell) who has been discussed on here I'm sure and was a pretty interesting guy I'd say.