Hardboiled (genre not John Woo)

IdleRich

IdleRich
I don't really know a lot about reading this genre but I have seen a lot or noir films (almost as many as @DLaurent) which I guess either overlap with or are based on the books that I think of as hardboiled... and yet the genre went on later, I guess right up to James Elroy who is still writing or at least alive so I mean it goes up to now.
So (to make it different from Luka's thread) I suppose we talk about books from Chandler and Hammer through Thompson, er, Spillane maybe up to Ellroy AND the films based on them.
Go.

william_kent

yeah, but "crime fiction" is broad category that can include Agatha Christie and other "locked room" mysteries...

hardboiled is distinct

william_kent

I'm thinking that Dashiell Hammet is the progenitor, but was eclipsed by mainly

Raymond Chandler

Jim Thompson

Charles Willeford

James Ellroy

although that lineage is punctuated by notable, but maybe minor, authors like:

Paul Cain

the MacDonalds: Russ ( Chandler's successor? ) and John D. ( crappy pulp...but I have to admit there a few of his books residing on my shelves )

Robert Parker ( again, I've read a lot, but can i recommend? )

all the guys published by ( the now defunct? ) Lizard Press

etc.,

on trips to London I used to look forward to my acquisitions from the long gone no longer exists crime bookshop on Charing Cross road, sad to see it it is no longer there, might be a starbucks now or some other corporate shit

Last edited:

william_kent

sometimes only a couple of paragraphs from a hardboiled novel will remain

in my case it is Charles Willeford's Miami Blues ( read the book, seen the film ) where the encounter with the Hare Krishna creep at the airport is burned into my memory

highly recommended

IdleRich

IdleRich
Dashiel Hammet took that obviously made up first name from his mum's maiden name which was De Chiele or something... is that related to the way his main character has no name? Almost certaintly not, but it could be.