Where would you go live if you were sick of normal life?

entertainment

Don't think I'll do it but I like to fantasize.

Options I've considered include: Algiers, Lisbon, Kathmandu, one of those places in Italy that pays you to move there.

sus

Don't think I'll do it but I like to fantasize.

Options I've considered include: Algiers, Lisbon, Kathmandu, one of those places in Italy that pays you to move there.
I've heard rumors that the Italian joints involves extortion by the mafia—because you're required to build using local labor, which is typically mafia-run, and will charge foreigners exorbitant amounts for incredibly sub-standard labor.

Not sure how true or inevitable this is, and whether being handy yourself can mitigate the damage.

sus

I've been meaning to travel through Mediterranean Africa for a while, if any Dissensians would want to join for part of the journey

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Good night shift horror escapist thread

Appalachia for access to guns, decent farm near the main river, kids can run amok and Mrs loves agriculture and horticulture. There was a window aeons ago but it would’ve been a compromise too far marrying a mentalist who wouldn’t have left Philadelphia anyway. You have to push south west to get out of the range of east coast second homes and wouldn’t want to encroach on Asheville hippy dreadlocks or Kentucky/WV oxy clans. Skyline Drive can mix tree cover and rolling country. Stunning in autumn and spring. If not Appalachia then deep Catskills

Portugal because drug work is progressively forward thinking there and their academic wing work miracles in policy sense. 45+ degree summers are no joke mind and could see a serious relapse session with @IdleRich occurring and my sobriety ring 💍 is a few months shy of 23 years

Brittany - Paimpol to Lorient to Guingamp to Begard, not fussy, Saint-Brieuc, Concarneau. Never far from the coast inland and you can be in Bordeaux or Paris in no time. Only ancient monuments outside of Orkney that ever gave me a surreal encounter experience were Carnac’s. Best cider in the world plus Calvados, seafood, galettes, you don’t need to drink to enjoy Brittany but it helps

West coast of Ireland, from Kerry to Galway to Donegal. The Banshees of Inishfuckoffland highlighted it’s been too long. A far more realistic out but rural beats higher population spots. Loads of family, loads of poitin, glad alcohol is out of frame but ethanol is a wilful and persistent presence. Delicious lamb, delicious fish, loads of places for the brood to explore and could happen next year with careful consideration

Wales possibly Preseli Hills, Cardigan bay or Gower. Given the warmer summers, each has secret treasures of natural wonder. Residents get quiet, off-season weekdays to indulge a range of wildlife, all manner of weather elements (rain isn’t an excuse to stay in) and tucked away features and coves. Seems tourism will expand further so it’s a fine balance between distance and amenities

Austria, never been, it looks wicked but you know, Fritzl, whatshisface, Arnie, sketchy form

luka

ive done it and in my experience you need a rich city to support you. so london or, even more boringly, new york.

william_kent

if I was to drop out and develop a taste for animal tranquillisers and fentanyl: Kensington, Philidelphia

if I was to drop out and develop a taste for cystal meth: the Tenderloin, San Francisco

if I was to drop out and develop a taste for a cocktail of crack cocaine, crystal meth and black tar: Skid Row, LA or Venice Beach

but as it is, sort of sober me would opt for, and this is providing that money isn't a problem, the Axis powers: either Tokyo, a "real city" or, and this where i get conflicted, Dresden or Leipzig ( Leipzig may win out because I've always got a discount in the record shops there )

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Beirut seemed pretty cool when I visited about a decade ago, although I think Lebanon is pretty messed up these days - people holding up banks at gunpoint just to access their own savings, etc.

version

Beirut seemed pretty cool when I visited about a decade ago, although I think Lebanon is pretty messed up these days - people holding up banks at gunpoint just to access their own savings, etc.

This is what Luke thinks the north is like.

• Haha
Reactions: Leo

shakahislop

i've done this in the past and basically the main thing i concluded is that more than the place, you need to think about what you're going to do when you get there. it's totally different moving to a city coz you think that it's the best city in a kind of abstract way, and moving there coz you've got mates there or a particular job to do or you're moving for a partner etc. that's my experience of it anyway. i tried to move to france and it was lonely to start off with. my mate had a similar experience in berlin. floating around unmoored. although probably if you stick it out for a few years whatever it probably works out in the end. or maybe its quite personality dependent as well.

i'd probably go for london or madrid myself, probably, forgetting all practicalites and fantasising a bit.