Do you have health insurance?

do you have health insurance

• Total voters

Leo

In fairness to Tea, his propensity is less Nazi jokes than accusing people of being Nazis.

mWttrs2

Of course there is. I take care of my health more now. I began to eat better, spend more time outside, drink vitamins occasionally visit the gym. I have some health problems and therefore it is more profitable for me to go to the doctor with insurance than without it

Last edited:
Reactions: sus

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Been asking this today, curious if folks here can help me out:

Can someone help me understand how health insurance makes sense from an individual/microeconomic perspective? I’m in the US, and if the average insuree saves money by having health insurance, versus not having it, how does that business model work for the insurer?

I can see where paying regular premiums, as a means of amortizing the costs of otherwise abrupt health emergencies, is a value prop - but that also just seems like a matter of budgeting and financial prudence, no? By paying for health insurance, are you buying stability?

I must be misunderstanding something, because as I currently understand it, the average person would, probabilistically, be spending more money with health insurance than without it, otherwise the business model wouldn’t be sustainable. Or is there some positive-sum arrangement?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Right now I have some state/welfare health insurance plan, Medi-Cal, but its quite circuitous and seemingly rarely observed by the few medical facilities I've visited.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
It defines one of the numerous healthcare tragedies Americans somehow tolerate. All about the dollar $ bills and if you’re a citizen in a $ spiral due to employment eg in an accident where you’re not responsible, accessing healthcare is a world-known joke

Sure, if you pay top premiums you’re through the bottleneck but if you’re a small business employer you can’t cover the spread on insurance premiums for your employees. Shark pool. 401k payments obscure shocking healthcare provision too,, a peculiarity compounded by retirement options. An ex’s Nan in Philadelphia had a quality package of care but she had a war widow’s pension “thing” and her son-in-law was DoD on an insane salary

More British people use it than ever due to public service prolapses. Would only use it to expedite an intervention with the kids or for travel - been overseas without it in a bind and it end up costing much more not creating such a provision trying to metaphorically wing it

mixed_biscuits

Can someone help me understand how health insurance makes sense from an individual/microeconomic perspective? I’m in the US, and if the average insuree saves money by having health insurance, versus not having it, how does that business model work for the insurer?
The confusion is because that's not true: the average person ends up spending more through insurance than they would on healthcare directly, but the point of insurance is to provide a safety net for when one would otherwise have to pay an unusually large amount; the insurance is against low probability disastrous events rather than run of the mill stuff that one could otherwise pay for easily.