Oxfordshire Culture mafia

sufi

lala
what a surprise he went to a fancy pants private school

i've also learned he's a friend of a friend of a friend several times over

It's a thing for real

former pm have his own village, not to mention the bullingdon PPE brigade trashing everything they touch

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Can’t comment tbh, one county where experience is ltd to a party in a field 32 years ago, an acid comedown at the 3 Knights and this congregation of miscreants who seep into the public domain

Know Berkshire much better, not that dropping this info in is an endorsement

People can’t help where they’re from jokes aside but it does seem one county where genuine evil has converged, like Surrey or Shropshire

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
What are its noble features Rich? Green spaces? Woods? Fields of wheat? Rustic pubs? Bygone merry olde England? What changes did you see growing up there, open question to the OCM

IdleRich

IdleRich
There are those things for sure, when we were growing up we could see this from my brother's bedroom window.

images.jpeg

You got yer thatched roof cottages, picturesque villages and cosy pubs... absolutely completely fuck all to do for days on end. As a teenager I would have to beg dad to get a lift into the mighty metropolis of Wantage just so I didn't go completely out of my mind. These villages are lovely to retire to if you can afford a nice house and you have a car so you can get to the shops for supplies etc but for a teenager or any other person who likes to do stuff it's a living death.

Also, as Ollie says, a lot of these places now have these expensive gastopubs which serve duck breast and souped up roasts with lists of trimmings that go on for ages.

Um, is good for walks in the country I guess, playing golf. Oxford is full of wankers but I don't mind it, it looks pretty and has a variety of food, certainly used to have lots of pleasant pubs, botanical gardens and punting in summer - and best of all it has a very regular and convenient all-night coach service to London.

Put it this way, where I grew up was pretty much midway between two towns and you sort of had a choice as to which one to affiliate yourself to for your weekly food shop, entertainment, football team etc and to me Oxford was hugely preferable to Swindon.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Looking at a map I've just realised (at the age of 37) that I grew up right on the Eastern edge of Oxfordshire bordering Buckinghamshire.

Lots of farmland around where I grew up, lots of rural estates. Massive houses atop the Chiltern ridge, gated homes with mile-long drives. Quite a few big houses in my village along certain streets, but I wouldn't think the really rich people live there.

Oxford itself has some fairly shitty areas but then of course there's North Oxford where the mind boggles at how wealthy you'd have to be to live there. (Not quite as much as the mind boggles around e.g. Mayfair/Hampstead.)

Went to a comprehensive school so I knew some people who lived in huge houses with giant lawns instead of back gardens but nothing too outrageous (the outrageously wealthy presumably would all be going to a public school—Stowe?).

I enjoyed growing up there, even as a teenager, although of course you were bored out of your mind and wanted to get to a city OTOH but I have fond (rose-tinted) memories of drinking in nature reserves and going to pubs which would be absolutely full of your mates.

Like visiting it now to see my parents and go on walks but I wouldn't want to live there. Culturally speaking there's nothing much going on (or at least there wasn't when I grew up there), and in the pre-internet days you really felt like e.g. pop culture existed in some magical faraway land.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'd say the landscape where I lived is often picturesque, even beautiful, but it's a pretty unspectacular sort of beauty – probably like a large part of southern England. Big expanses of fields, forests, hills. Nothing on the sublime order of North (or even South) Wales, etc. No wilderness.

I suppose a lot of other places have this sense of place-lessness that I feel oxfordshire has — unless it's just me who feels it. But the pride people have about coming from e.g. Yorkshire or Cornwall or London etc. is totally foreign to me.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Re: political mafia: I remember visiting my friends in Oxford not long ago and going on a walk down the river near their house, a beautiful summer day, and being surrounded by these picture postcard buildings, canal boats, all that jazz ('far from the madding crowd') and thinking that if you grew up in this sort of luxury it would be easy to think that there's really nothing wrong with the country/world as it is, everything is tickety boo as far as you're concerned, let's just keep things like this...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
(And the fact is I'm pretty politically apathetic and uninvolved, which can be put down to all sorts of factors but undoubtedly where I grew up must have something to do with it, a sense of complacency from growing up in comfort with little exposure to poverty and very little multicultralism, etc.)

IdleRich

IdleRich
Went to a comprehensive school so I knew some people who lived in huge houses with giant lawns instead of back gardens but nothing too outrageous (the outrageously wealthy presumably would all be going to a public school—Stowe?).

There were a few public schools that were attended by people in my village. My next door neighbor went to Abingdon Boys (where Radiohead met I understand) and so I assume there was an Abingdon Girls to go with it although I'm not certain. I think that there was at least one Didcot based public school too.

...you really felt like e.g. pop culture existed in some magical faraway land.

This is exactly it. I knew that these things were going on but they were so disconnected and far away it might as well have been on another planet.

sufi

lala
Re: political mafia: I remember visiting my friends in Oxford not long ago and going on a walk down the river near their house, a beautiful summer day, and being surrounded by these picture postcard buildings, canal boats, all that jazz ('far from the madding crowd') and thinking that if you grew up in this sort of luxury it would be easy to think that there's really nothing wrong with the country/world as it is, everything is tickety boo as far as you're concerned, let's just keep things like this...
... except you hate and fear and despise everything outside your bubble

Leo

... except you hate and fear and despise everything outside your bubble

it cuts both ways, though. i'd guess there are some people in those sheltered towns who are fascinated by what's going on outside their bubble and eventually seize the opportunity to leave home and explore this exciting new world happening elsewhere. that was my experience, growing up in a boring mid-size Massachusetts town. and it sounds like what happened with Rich, Corpsey, Shaka and a number of others here.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
it cuts both ways, though. i'd guess there are some people in those sheltered towns who are fascinated by what's going on outside their bubble and eventually seize the opportunity to leave home and explore this exciting new world happening elsewhere. that was my experience, growing up in a boring mid-size Massachusetts town. and it sounds like what happened with Rich, Corpsey, Shaka and a number of others here.

Berkshire 4 Life