sus

when I was 14 and learning guitar I thought this was the coolest video I had ever seen

That band was very interesting from a conceptual-symbolic perspective. Red white and black de stijl meets American religious symbolism. The satanism of American country, the pagan spirituality of blues. Brother sister incest. Sun Records hard-on. Vaguely glossolalic vocal delivery. Alternating between simple blues strumming and rock-'n'-roll satanic machine worship of an electric guitar.

shakahislop

i'd never put them on now, its hard to get anything out of even nostalgia but i dropped i think my first pill watching morrissey, the dillenger escape plan, and then the white stripes. not very traditional and it wasn't planned but i have some nice memories as you'd expect. although i think i did freak out later in the night.

at the time i liked how loose the white stripes live show was, it felt expressive to me, they seemed more like people playing music and less like people running through a setlist, i hadn't seen much like that before, at its heart it was guitar noise. always found the brother/sister/husband/wife and the colour scheme etc, and the videos, all the packaging, offputting. but liked how he played the guitar and her basic drumming too

Reactions: sus

linebaugh

That band was very interesting from a conceptual-symbolic perspective. Red white and black de stijl meets American religious symbolism. The satanism of American country, the pagan spirituality of blues. Brother sister incest. Sun Records hard-on. Vaguely glossolalic vocal delivery. Alternating between simple blues strumming and rock-'n'-roll satanic machine worship of an electric guitar.
you could write for rolling stone

IdleRich

IdleRich
That, at least, is the story my (quite socially & economically progressive) mother tells, emphasizing grandad's integrity of belief over their deep political differences. (Which can be quite nasty—they went through periods of not talking during the Trump presidency). Whether, and how true that story is, I'm not sure
So she admired his commitment to his beliefs while being so angry at them she refused to talk to him.

I do think that this is a big problem with Trump (or Brexit in UK) - the sheer divisiveness, sides unable to even meet and work on a solution. A total paralysis from a parliamentary level right down to that of individual families.

In my family it didn't go quite that far... but my brother is utterly enraged in that he feels Mum and Dad [EDIT I JUST SAW THIS BIT THAT I NEVER FINISHED COS I WAS INTERRUPTED] voted in such a way as to take away his child's opportunities and, after hours of argument, we ended up with a subject that is taboo and gridlocked... a huge waste of time basically.

It might be pride! I wouldn't assume it's pride. People make immense sacrifices for their beliefs sometimes, and I am hesitant to deflate all that by psychologizing it as, you know, fear or aversion or some underlying personal failures.

I say "deserves it" because I think orienting your life around money is a pretty widely recognized failure mode whose best-case scenario, even if you manage to keep your mountains of gold, is spiritual emptiness. In other words, if there's a pot handle everyone knows is hot and you touch it and get burned maybe you had it coming.
So a sort of moral come-uppance; after doing everything right according to the rules of finance (but only those rules), playing the game seriously and playing it hard, to win, it looks as though it's all paid off. Until, on a whim, the merciless trickster gods of capitalism snatch it all away and having ignored the other aspects of life he has no other resource, no other value system by which to score his existence and demonstrate his worth. An extremely harsh lesson - I think the idealized version of this story is where the Scrooge character does win all... but realises the emptiness of this victory, and then after some kind of Damascene moment he repents and is able to change, use the money for good, make friends etc But what you describe is far more brutal - as life so often is.

I understand his circumstances are (greatly?) reduced, but he's not destitute, homeless right? I'm sorry to harp on this, but it really intrigues me, how did he deal with it? Is his attitude changed to himself and to others? Is he bitter or philosophical? Does he blame himself or others or luck or the game itself?

catalog

Also I've got a question, you said James ferraros grandparents are middle class. So what is your granddad? Upper class? Or working class?

catalog

I got chucked off the golf course near the magic tree when I was taking some people to see it. This bloke zoomed round me on his cart and ordered me off.