Unwarranted Audience Participation

william_kent

I don't want to derail @wild greens amazing thread yet again ( pills were better in my day, yawn ) but:

@wild greens
Anyway that night someone came upto me when I was DJing and fucking wheeled The Music while it was playing, leaning over the decks and made everything jump, I was worried it was scratched. A bit like that Riz La Teef/Sherelle farrago, though this didn't make me famous I just wanted to punch him.

One time I was at The Buffalo Bar (is that what it's called?) near Highbury and Joe from The Horrors was DJ-ing and I was talking to him, he put on Vacuum Cleaner by Tintern Abbey (popsike has a copy sold in 2015 for £1462)8 and some guy tried to shake his hand or something and jumped the needle across the record. He wasn't too pleased about that...

last night [i found this snippet about a night out at the "Electric Chair":

Fabio kicked off by playing "Strings of Life" ( a rave classic by the "Godfather of Techno", Derrick May, who incidentally was playing in Manchester a few weeks ago when, according to G, someone started scratching his records whilst the legendary DJ was in the middle of his set...major no-no..Derrick May grabbed the bloke, head butted him, and then threw him to the bouncers - you don't want to mess with those boys from Detroit). **

** especially an alleged rapist ( innocent until proved guilty! ) DJ from Detroit, the HARDEST city

Cajmere Boiler room set at ADE

really solid house music which suits an MDMA rush

but at around 40 mins the wanker Boiler room "host" spins back the CDJ and green velvet / Cajmere looks distinctly nonplussed - WHEEL UP! Fuck right off!

( there are other funny moments, like some Dutch girl trying to pull Cajmere, obviously oblivious to the fact that he might not be interested )

--

another favourite video taught me that sometimes it's ok for some random to "pull up"

Aba Shaka - When dance was Nice

I was horrified the first time I saw this, OG vinyl wrecked for the sake of "vibes', but I've grown as a person and can appreciate that Digital English was just niceing up the dance

what are you favourite unwanted audience trying to be a DJ moments?

Last edited:

william_kent

I can see that this thread is a non-starter, dead in the water, but anyway

Psychic TV at the Hacienda, early 80s

the Coil guys had departed and were ascending the anal staircase

some dude jumps on stage, and to everyones surprise it wasn't my mate "mad dave"( RIP) ( from MCR TOPY ) who got burnt to death by "mad dog from bristol' because he didn't share his smack, but GPO indulges the chubby dreadlocked pierced white boy fellow who proceeds to fill the microphone with spit

I didn't see PTV as many times as I saw Hawkwind but it was a close tie, who knows who had the best visuals, although maybe PTV won out with the eel pr0n ( that's a joke but after the @william_kent is evil and banned from a continent revelations maybe you should insert a tongue firmly in cheek because I am just the worst )

to be honest when listening to thsiI can't tell when the audience guy takes over from GPO but on the night I could see the stage

I doubt Led Zep and sabbath had the same problem of the fans sounding better than the main act

version

There's that Stooges live album, Metallic K.O., where Iggy supposedly gets beaten up by a particularly hostile audience of bikers.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I used to have this great video of this guy Grisha who owned a record shop in Moscow and was also a dj and promoter - and, most important here, played drums in a punky hardcore type band.

The video featured his band playing some pretty raw squat party in a fucked up looking abandoned warehouse or factory or something. It was pretty DIY with the stage being a raised dais that lifted the band about six inches above the pressing throng of nutters surrounding them. If I remember rightly Grisha was sitting on the floor playing his kit. Either way, this drunk or otherwise inebriated fuckhead kept stumbling on to the stage and wandering around looking confused and banging into the band until Grisha could clearly stand no more and he jumped up and battered the guy with his drumsticks before throwing him very decisively into the crowd and then - as these stories are supposed to end - slipped back into position, instantly picked up the beat and carried on playing.