current commercial photography

shakahislop

not sure if it exactly counts as 'art', but this is a big part of visual culture and thought it might be interesting to have a place to pick apart some current threads and trends. its everywhere obviously, i see as much of this as any other form of cultural production, and its a key part of the online experience. quite often i find images more offensive than anything else, not in terms of them being obscene or explicit etc, but in terms of the values they're communicating, what affect they are trying and suceeding in provoking

shakahislop

one trend i keep coming across is this kind of combination of surrealism, irony and abjection. that's spendo's girl caroline polochek, a promo shot I think, and then the cover of a charlie xcx album from last year. its quite confrontational imagery i think, especially considering that its in a broadly pop / mainstream part of the culture, there's an obvious violence to it.

attachment-caroline-polachek-desire-i-want-to-turn-into-you.jpg

Charli_XCX_-_Crash.png

Last edited:

jenks

thread death
It seems to me that Helmut Newton’s influence is strong on these. With a pinch of Ellen von Unwerth - sorta sexy/sorta transgressive

shakahislop

1392.jpg

from the guardian today. i know i'm posting a lot of pictures of sexy girls. this is an insta model, so not exactly the commerical photography i was talking about above, but its still part of an online visual culture that in one way or another makes its way onto my screen. this is a good example of another trend, the way that photography increasingly looks like CGI. Between the filters and the fillers, what people look like in photos of this kind is becoming a reality-computer hybrid. which is a dominent mode of popular cultural production at the moment i think, a lot of music is going down the same track.

the photo is a bit clearer on the guardian site https://www.theguardian.com/comment...rcumboob-the-cleavage-trend-for-a-chaotic-era

i'll find some photos of sexy muscle men to balance it out

luka

i stared at some people today in covent garden and i couldnt tell if they were from ecuador or north korea or tajikistan

luka

but theyd clearly been worked on to make themselves look like filters. they saw me staring, a man particularly, looked stung, haughty and embaressed

luka

people rich enough to pay but not rich enough for the taste discriminations of a world city and its judgemental eyes

version

That tweet I posted in the cosmetic surgery thread the other day had one under it with a professional photographer claiming people are getting upset with the way they look in her photos because they're so used to seeing themselves through filters.

shakahislop

HONORE.png

on the metrograph (fancy indie cinema in manhattan) website. i guess this is a promo shot that they / he / his marketing people use everywhere. there's a specific breed of bullshit with photography projecting some kind of idea of writers and directors etc in this kind of space.

IdleRich

IdleRich
That tweet I posted in the cosmetic surgery thread the other day had one under it with a professional photographer claiming people are getting upset with the way they look in her photos because they're so used to seeing themselves through filters.
Like I said in the mirror thread, if your taste isn't what the algorithm said it should be then your taste is wrong. Same if your looks don't match the filtered version then they are wrong.

shakahislop

1f8f96f1-4134-4a49-8b36-f3a14d9b6ce3_433112+-+2+x+Airstreams+under+Milky+way+morning+-+Pano+Merged+-+LoRes+copy_1000x750+%281%29.jpg

c4442ed1-2fcb-4240-a54c-bce2bae24406_433112+-+2+x+Airstreams+under+Milky+way+morning+-+Pano+Merged+-+LoRes+copy_1000x750+%284%29.jpg

can't get this any higher res for some reason. travel photography is a whole thing obviously, but more and more the images are like CGI, fantastical, impossible things that look more like movies than reality.