Climate change and death of the earth

sus

Most likely? A non-trivial part of the global south will see dangerous disruption, basically everyone on this board will be fine and largely unimpacted, by 2100 most of the effects will be managed and stabilized through climate engineering, and in a thousand years it'll be a blip in humanity's history—as forgotten as the little Ice Age that hit Europe from the 14th to 19th centuries

sus

It's possible that the hysteria/panic I see among in a lot of 20-somethings (including siblings, good friends) helps catalyzes... I dunno, international response? Is plausibly upstream of political changes? It also seems like that hysteria brings a lot of negative knock-on effects for the memetic hosts. I'm not willing to claim it causes mental illness but I think it all creates an ambient stress that a lot of people are sensitive to. Maybe comparable to living under the bomb in Cold War?

sus

The general trend of technological advance outpacing our ability to coordinate/adapt/manage it worries me far more than climate change in particular. Global warming and nuclear armageddon are connected insofar as their the result of man's power growing. Biotech and bio-engineering and bio-terrorism this century could be a bloodbath. It's possible that a foreign actor is behind the fentanyl epidemic, and our ability to synthesize narcotics is improving. We might see some really ugly homegrown stuff pop up. I'm not apocalyptic about AI, I don't think we're as far down the road to AGI as many claim, but there's a non-zero chance that it becomes a similar sort of danger—bad actors being able to affordably do real damage, and set adversarial super-intelligences on the world.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Most likely? A non-trivial part of the global south will see dangerous disruption, basically everyone on this board will be fine and largely unimpacted, by 2100 most of the effects will be managed and stabilized through climate engineering, and in a thousand years it'll be a blip in humanity's history—as forgotten as the little Ice Age that hit Europe from the 14th to 19th centuries
Leaving aside the ethics of saying "Well yeah, people in Africa, India and South America are fucked but everyone here, in proper countries, will be OK", do you not think hundreds of millions of climate refugees trying to get into our proper countries might have some kind of impact?

luka

Leaving aside the ethics of saying "Well yeah, people in Africa, India and South America are fucked but everyone here, in proper countries, will be OK", do you not think hundreds of millions of climate refugees trying to get into our proper countries might have some kind of impact?
politics are already geared towards this eventuality. Gus is a |Californian Utopian.

sus

The title of this thread is "death of the earth" and a massive proportion of Western educated liberals think that's what's happening right now. It's not; there's not a shred of science that indicates anything like that; there have been far more dramatic and fatal changes to Earth's atmosphere several times in earth's history; and it's laughable that libs who posture and crow over "listening to the science" are just as distant from scientific projections as their conservative strawmen.

I'd like for this board's discursive waterline to be a head above your average London lib-arts yuppy flat. If you're gonna have a whole prissy fit over my wording, and use it as an attempt to virtue-signal-dunk for a webforum fifteen weirdos large, then clearly we've got a long way to go.

sus

One thing people don't know is that on about half the continents, definitely including North America, I believe including Europe and def in the UK, speciation is moving faster than extinction. We're trending to more species and more biodiversity rather than less.

Chris D. Thomas's Inheritors of the Earth is a fantastic read on (1) the rapid adaptation and hybridization we're seeing in response to the Anthropocene (2) how many extinction forecasts are less dire than they're made out to be (3) the problems with an environmental movement that wants to freeze some "pristine" natural state.

droid

Gus here is a fascinating case study in how seemingly intelligent individuals can be catastrophically wrong about literally everything.

To take just one example:
The title of this thread is "death of the earth" and a massive proportion of Western educated liberals think that's what's happening right now. It's not; there's not a shred of science that indicates anything like that; there have been far more dramatic and fatal changes to Earth's atmosphere several times in earth's history; and it's laughable that libs who posture and crow over "listening to the science" are just as distant from scientific projections as their conservative strawmen.

It is true that there have been many dramatic and disastrous changes in Earth's atmosphere, but other than rapid catastrophic events such as asteroid impacts, none have been as fast as anthropogenic global warming. The Great Oxidation Event took about 200 million years, the Late Ordovician mass extinction took about 1.4-3 million years. Most relevant perhaps is the End-Permian extinction event which was probably caused by natural carbon burns and volcanic eruption, resulting in feedback loops and rapid methane clathrate release and a 8-10 degree increase in warming. This took place over around 100,000 years and killed 90% of life on earth.

emissions-rate-1.jpg

Modern industrial civilisation is currently emitting carbon at many times the rate of the End Permian.

sus

Yes the difference is that human beings are highly adaptive (this is what it means to be intelligent; you can change course more rapidly than evolution) and therefore the scale over the overall spike will be much smaller than any of these events

sus

Droid didn't you get bullied off the board by luka years ago? I've read the thread, what're you doing back?

sus

He's like a superhero in a comic book... "The world isn't grateful for what I do here, I'm out" but then an existential threat appears and droid has to come out of retirement to do battle with ol Gus to save the soul of Dissensus. It's beautiful

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
You got schooled, again

Take it with a degree of grace for once, instead of distraction/screening attempts at obfuscating your ignorance like a child might

Something something London libs (Londy to you, *shakes head), overall fantastic word play exhibited, looking forward to more

• Haha
Reactions: sus

woops

is not like other people
what is all this bullied off the board rubbish, it's not a good thing if that happens, dissensus is not some kind of endurance trial to the death