Strong A capella / Acapella

catalog

just ordered the wicker man novelisation. i feel like it contains a lot of stuff i'm interested in at the moment.

william_kent

some tunes I have to listen to every version of, and this is one:

Sunset Four Jubilee Singers - Wade In The Water ( 1925 )

the earliest "acapella" in my "collection", if you don't count Gregorian chant, Armenian chant, Buddhist ritual, etc.,

certainly this is the earliest recording of an acapella that I "own"

one of those tunes I worked back from, my first exposure was Harvey Mandel,

Harvey Mandel - Wade In The Water ( 1968 )

psych breaks!

and then I found out it was a cover version

because someone told me, "oh, that's a cover of the original by someone or other" ( a couple of 60s northern soul tunes )

which turned out to be untrue

because it

dates back,

allegedly,

to the "underground railroad" and the late 1800's, but the myth that the "wade in the water" refrain was a warning for the escapees to duck into the river doesn't quite ring true because surely the search teams would have heard the singing, and even though wading into the water would have confounded the scent sniffing of the search dogs, they must have heard the glorious vocal harmony vocals?

stay schtum, don't snitch!

but this is one of those tunes where I feel compelled to hear, or at least give a listen to, almost, every version ( although when i see names like "Eva Cassidy" then I decide, that is not for me )

here's a recent-ish one where the beauty of that woman's voice on the far left back row moves me:

Fisk Jubilee Singers - Wade In The Water ( 2020 )

although, just for my own amusement, maybe I should also add this redneck inbred family vs the Fisk jubilee singers version:

Fisk Jubilee Singers and the Erwins - Wade In The Water ( 2021)

covid era social distancing on full display

the red dye has faded from her hair, but the same woman from the Fisk choir steals the show ( far left, although she's been deservedly promoted to the front row )

her voice brings a tear to my eye, not ashamed to say

edit: notable mention:

castigating the darkside

The Charioteers - Wade In The Water

william_kent

Rosina De Peira - La Novia ( 1982? )

not sure I want to get into my cosmic wave theory at this time in the morning, but long story short, it hit Europe in the 60s, and somehow reached Osaka and Nagoya in the mid nineties, where this tune was picked up by a psychedelic freakout collective from Nagoya

Rosina finally met up with the acid mothers before her unfortunate passing in 2019 ( R.I.P ), and as far as i know only one recording remains, she sings the tune unaccompanied, on her own. and then Kawabata and co weigh in like a lead balloon, a cosmic overload pinning you to the floor

early acid mothers concerts were notable for the point where all electronics ceased and the frontline would sing this tune acapalla, throat singing, advanced harmonic chant overtones, four voices as one, before slamming into the heaviest riff ever

william_kent

SUNRISE

time for some advanced harmonic chant and overtone singing

David Hykes and the Harmonic Choir - Brotherhood

cosmic wave washes over all

sunrise, sunset, it's a circle, there is no end...

maxi

Early history
A cappella could be as old as humanity itself. Research suggests that singing and vocables may have been what early humans used to communicate before the invention of language.[3]

Opposition to instruments in worship
  1. The absence of instrumental music is rooted in various hermeneutic principles (ways of interpreting the Bible) which determine what is appropriate for worship. Among such principles are the regulative principle of worship (Ulrich Zwingli), Sola scriptura (Martin Luther and Ulrich Zwingli), and the history of hymn in "Christianity". Dispensationalism emphasizes the differences between the old (Law of Moses) and the new (Jesus and the Apostles) covenants, emphasizing that the majority of the practices from the Law of Moses were replaced by the teachings of Jesus and the Apostles. The absence of instrumental music in early church worship is significant given the abundance of Hebrew Bible references and commands to worship God with harp, lyre and cymbal. After several hundred years of Tabernacle worship without references to instrumental music, King David (c. 1500 BC) introduced musical instruments into Temple worship reportedly because of a commandment from God, complete with who was to sing, who was to play, and what instruments were to be used.[20]
  2. ^ Rather than calling the use of instruments "evil", modern opposition typically uses terms like "unspiritual"[30] or an Old Testament "shadow".[31]