The Man Cave Continuum

william_kent

Oh yeah I've seen that before - the tv I mean not the the lost folk horror toad magick classic of the 70s although I have seen that too.

I'm sure the TV would be shit for reception, fidelity, etc, just look at the "rabbit ears" aerial, but "at rest", the design is pure

IdleRich

IdleRich
I reckon I'd get more use and pleasure out of a Pierre Cardin dry bar

337156156_550868573830241_1412502942503165152_n.jpg

337287302_751783536540973_6771531054534988289_n.jpg

It would fit perfectly with my Vision 2000 record player.

william_kent

I reckon I'd get more use and pleasure out of a Pierre Cardin dry bar

I wish i had taken a decent photo of the East German coffee table that was in the "Die Welt Die DDR" museum in Dresden which had handy slots for glasses of spirits and bottles of Deutscher Rum Verschnit:

3143.full.jpg

oh, owing to the magic of the internet, someone else did:

33063283768_22a9bac526_b.jpg

love the way it has slots for 8 bottles

if you ever visit Dresden, this museum is a must see

william_kent

I could live with that, a quick Google throws up a similar circular one.

before the wall came down we were indoctrinated with shite about how East Germany had it worse off than us, but in the DDR museums you see devices that were unknown to us - in the 70s they had percolators when we had instant nescafe

and don't even talk to me about cameras!

but, in perspective, I have visited at least one Stasi museum, and maybe it wasn't all good

IdleRich

IdleRich
One guy I know said that when younger he went to an exhibition recreating the brutal grinding poverty of life in the USSR before the wall came down - he noted how much nicer the flats were than the Glasgow council house in which he'd grown up.

william_kent

one of my aunts and uncles lived on an estate in Glasgow "before the wall came down" and I can confirm that the displays of "living rooms" in the DDR museums are "nicer"

but for all the grot, at least my relatives didn't expect a knock on the door at 4 am and to be "disappeared' because of some ill advised comment on how we were governed

william_kent

I get the impression that the DDR was more tightly controlled than Russia itself.

the Stasi museum in Leipzig is a revelation, every word written, every word uttered, all recorded and scrutinised by the "state"

in the West we didn't have to worry about having the wrong haircut, we were just playing at rebellion, we had it easy

william_kent

I've posted these before, but here are some of the photographs I did take while in the "Die Welt Die DDR" museum in Dresden ( which is weirdly situated on the top floor of a sub Arndale shopping centre in the worst part of town, I only stumbled it upon accident to be honest, on insisting on "exploring"):

1680834504867.png

hitler youth? strangely stiff right arm?

1680834523985.png

what's going on with the left arm on the lady in blue?

1680834543647.png

gwenneth vibes? gloop? oh no! some skier has assaulted me!

1680834565052.png

check the lamp on the left

IdleRich

IdleRich
What's the lamp?
I love the way they've shown that woman with her arm twisted behind her back as a metaphor for her oppression.

william_kent

1680842434110.png

@IdleRich

like, what are the placement of the feet of the creepy Paltrow looky-like on the right telling me about life in the DDR?

the subtle clues escape me

sufi

lala
the Stasi museum in Leipzig is a revelation, every word written, every word uttered, all recorded and scrutinised by the "state"

in the West we didn't have to worry about having the wrong haircut, we were just playing at rebellion, we had it easy
I watched a documentary about the lighthouse cult the other night - a personal development cult where they spent hours each day on berating motivational group zoom calls which were all meticulously transcribed
so you'd have two people doing first drafts, two more going through and correcting typos and abbreviations, then finally the two drafts would be merged, so not only they keep a record of everything that anybody says but also they keep the cultees under extra pressure with all this work and scrutiny of each other's work - very impressive use of admin as a tool of oppression

STN

sou'wester
I wonder if psychogeography has a place in this (excellent) thread, on the grounds that a lot of the time it’s just a hipper name for local history.

See also: Cope’s Modern Antiquarian, the Weird Walk zine, which have the added benefit of providing opportunities to buy fancy technical boots and things.

william_kent

there comes a moment in any holiday where i decide i should just stop taking photos and should "live in the moment" and this was the breaking point for me in "die welt die DDR"

1681012536329.png

I just gave up at this point, what's going on with the armpits? and the neck?

how creepy is this exhibit?