music from the last 72 hours

IdleRich

IdleRich
That was actually a self-deprecating joke.
I do prefer to yank it out of the mix like that - for me it's a way of keeping the beat going but at the same time breaking up the smoothness so it doesn't all just merge into one blob. Though when I did that in Porto another dj in the booth looked at me as though I was totally mad and started laughing.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
basically describes my entire playing records in public

all about the selection. fuck the technicality

that's fine for ragga and bashment but with mills/hood type minimal techno or proper deep house it can get really tiring to hear the mixable dj intro all the time. but if you can skip them, then yeah no problem.

william_kent

sounds like your man spent his load too soon, I crossfade with a second to go.... sometime there's hiss and dead air...but "building a vibe'

IdleRich

IdleRich
that's fine for ragga and bashment but with mills/hood type minimal techno or proper deep house it can get really tiring to hear the mixable dj intro all the time. but if you can skip them, then yeah no problem.
Yeah you don't want to hear 30 seconds of just the beat at the start/end of every track. I understand why so many tracks have that of course but hearing it makes you very conscious that you're listening to a very functional dj-tool type record, and if you play all of it every time it's like you're showing the crowd the ugly workings of a machine that should be hidden.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Yeah you don't want to hear 30 seconds of just the beat at the start/end of every track. I understand why so many tracks have that of course but hearing it makes you very conscious that you're listening to a very functional dj-tool type record, and if you play all of it every time it's like you're showing the crowd the ugly workings of a machine that should be hidden.

in a lot of more traditional house and techno clubs djs will mix into the last djs tune. I'm not really into that, i think it should be a clean slate.

blissblogger

l

Strangely sober and mannered. there's a record by Oliver Lieb @blissblogger — Spicelab - A Day on Our Planet from 1994, which does this wibbly wobbly new age trance dance but it's way more colder, germanic and blatantly druggy. Have you heard it?

no never did.

I've decided this album is Caroline Lukas/Kate Bush techno. In that sense, it's pretty good, just not for me.
yeah that nails the vibe. i liked moments in it but i can't imagine going back.

blissblogger

My first thought was Lemon Jelly.

The post could have gone equally well in the liner note thread.

yeah that's the bandcamp blurb but it's such a long, expansive blurb it is effectively like an old school liner note

like quite a few of these 'release rationales', not sure it does the music any favours

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I should explore Holden a bit more cos one of his tunes ('Sky is Pink rmx') is one of my favourite techno (or whatever it is) tunes and I also rediscovered this the other day somehow

Just having a browse on Spotify, the first tune on there by him (chronologically) is a straight up trance tune which doesn't accord with what I imagined he 'was'.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Does feel a bit dance music for indie boys, not Kasabian indie boys, Radiohead indie boys

Still I like that gimmick he exploits on 'Lump' and 'Sky is Pink', not sure how often elsewhere, of a portentous riff slowly bubbling over, fizzing, buzzing, then dissolving into fractals etc.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Now i think about it, and listening to 'horizons' side by side, I guess that is a trance thing - I mean its obvious really. A three or four note riff — with an 'epic' sort of feel to it — getting louder and louder. But I never thought of trance before listening to those tunes cos they sound more dark and robotic and stripped back.

Benny Bunter

Music from the last 72 hours has a shelf life of about 72 hours these days and it's been this way for years now - old man opinion but you know it's true.