IdleRich

IdleRich
I went to Boisedales once, football team had a celebratory meal there when we won the league. Smoked cigars too I believe.

sus

You're building up to a 'symphonies only a white dude could have written' thread, aren't you?
I'm not building up to anything, and I definitely don't think there's anything a "white dude" can do that a "black dude" can't, other than get a nasty sunburn. I'm just not hot on racial essentialism, even when it's purportedly celebratory.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I' I'm just not hot on racial essentialism, even when it's purportedly celebratory.

That comment is kinda tongue in cheek but kinda not. Largely 'cos music isn't a "level playing field", undistorted by history, the impacts of the processes that birthed racism and inequality. It can be a form of readdress and rebalancing, explicitly so in genres like reggae. Is say, the career of The Rolling Stones, colour neutral?

sus

I tend to believe that perpetuating cycles is a bad way of exiting them. But I don't want to argue and it's not even my place. Y'all have been around this board way longer than me, it's your culture, you're welcome to like and define what you like however you like.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I tend to believe that perpetuating cycles is a bad way of exiting them. But I don't want to argue and it's not even my place. Y'all have been around this board way longer than me, it's your culture, you're welcome to like and define what you like however you like.
Saying black music is great, disproportionately so, isn't perpetuating a cycle. Saying music is free from colour, and exists outside of race, somehow separate, would be though.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Just wanted to chip in and say I've really been enjoying this list, Dan. I'm about halfway through. Absolutely loved a lot of the 80s hip-hop and electro on the first page - loads of it has this quite industrial-sounding edge to it which reminds me of all that Sherwood-produced stuff, Tackhead, Mark Stewart and all that, which I notice you've included after a detour via reggae/dancehall/dub, which makes total sense. The only stuff that hasn't really worked for me is some of the US soul tracks, which sound, I dunno, a bit gloopy to my ears? If that makes sense. (I notice you haven't included any tunes that would hint at your deepest, darkest secret - a love of 60s/70s acid folk!)

BTW, I think you missed a link for tune #48?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

Listen Tina Marie is a goddess but she's an exception. in fact if I hadn't reminded you of her you would have never namedropped her. voluntary segregation is just as bad as racial essentialism, if not worse, cos the one who segregates sees themselves as superior.

sus

It is interesting though because in the US, characters like Danny are the butt of endless jokes, cf Atlanta S1E9's Craig. Whereas in the UK apparently these sorts of regressive tendencies pass as progressive? Different discourses I guess.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Just wanted to chip in and say I've really been enjoying this list, Dan. I'm about halfway through. Absolutely loved a lot of the 80s hip-hop and electro on the first page - loads of it has this quite industrial-sounding edge to it which reminds me of all that Sherwood-produced stuff, Tackhead, Mark Stewart and all that, which I notice you've included after a detour via reggae/dancehall/dub, which makes total sense. The only stuff that hasn't really worked for me is some of the US soul tracks, which sound, I dunno, a bit gloopy to my ears? If that makes sense. (I notice you haven't included any tunes that would hint at your deepest, darkest secret - a love of 60s/70s acid folk!)

BTW, I think you missed a link for tune #48?
Cheers T. This is track 48, can't seem to edit it for some reason.

Re. 80s soul, one of the emergent changes that's happened in the last few years is the reappraisal of 80s production sounds - lots of 80s jazz, the jazzier end of house, lots of 80s obscurities have all been reappraised. Not really necessary for me but there's something about that smoothness that's a bit magical to my ears.

I nearly included some Sandy Denny but decided it would violate the strict apartheid regime I've been operating in this thread.

sus

Yes, going through and listening to a dozen pages of tracks is a much bigger task than clicking back through quotes to find a hilarious IdleRich diss. It's pretty straightforward, if you're not trying to be obtuse.