Psychedelic fuzz soundtracks like Vampyros Lesbos

IdleRich

IdleRich
I know we have various soundtrack threads but let's have one specifically for this style of fuzz psych OSTs

Two killer annoyingly rare psychedelic sitar jazz madness lps with wicked covers are

337866296_1265825777354671_796479725265296292_n.jpg

And

337993736_757499365928332_8452841483896467192_n.jpg

By Manfred Hübler, and Sigi Schwab.

As i understand it those two records were dug into to create the soundtracks to Jess Franco's "classic" sexploitation films Vampyros Lesbos and She Killed In Ecstasy

Perfect examples of that sleazy fuzzy fun sound which the Italians did so well (despite these chaps being German).

I believe this one shares some of the same personnel too

337919228_246528757759114_7993926243779520785_n.jpg

And there is another super collectable vampire one which I feel I should mention just cos of the vampire link

337540144_613810046829314_2950368900637820212_n.jpg

I find something quite interesting about how when picking an exotic place for vampires to live, Dartmoor (or Dartmoore) seemed like a good idea. I guess exoticism is closely related to how far away something is, or as Jesus put it "a prophet is only without honour in his own town".

All of the above once obscure and rare, desired by collectors with the personnel unknown - now compiled and reissued and common as muck.

But what is there out there that I don't know?

Edit: I guess everyone is aware of loads of artists such as Perturbator and Carpenter Brut pumping out synth soundtracks to go with 80s slasher films that never got made and this is basically an adjacent scene but with its targets set a decade or two earlier.

And of course the synth thing does have loads of real films with real soundtracks - particularly since Drive... all that Italians do it better gear, Lost River, Beyond the Black Rainbow etc etc but let's leave that out of this thread, if anyone wants to they can create another one for that.

martin

----
Guess you know this? (dunno if it's what you had in mind) The Arrows' "Cycle-Delic" is like a fuzz tsunami, though my fave tune is probably the tearjerker "Satan"

R-468965-1203938831.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
Absolutely what I had in mind. I'd forgotten about the US stuff but the biker films yield lots of killers.

I have the album Cycle-Delic by Davie Allan and The Arrows from which Savage Pencil comped that track, it has another similar but shorter track called Mind Transferal

These guys did a few soundtracks, there is one great album called Wild Angels, I love these two killers

When I dj in bars for people to listen to - as opposed to in clubs for people to dance to - I still play some of the above tunes

Wild Angels is most well known in the UK cos of the following scene...

IdleRich

IdleRich
Another guy who did biker soundtracks is Les Baxter, he's more known as an easy listening producer

Leslie Thompson Baxter (March 14, 1922 – January 15, 1996) was a American musician, composer and conductor[1]. After working as an arranger and composer for swing bands, he developed his own style of easy listening music, known as exotica and scored over 250 radio, television and motion pictures numbers

But Hells Belles is fuzzy and tougher than you might expect, and this soundtrack is fun all the way through

IdleRich

IdleRich
The UK made at least one killer contribution to the biker fuzz soundtracks canon as our man @william_kent has rightly pointed out.

John Cameron of CCS fame there. He also did some great libraries on KPM which are sadly outside the remit of this thread.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I find something quite interesting about how when picking an exotic place for vampires to live, Dartmoor (or Dartmoore) seemed like a good idea.
Also goes for the Italian zombie classic The Living Dead At Manchester Morgue - a film that does have plenty of living dead but in which they never go near Manchester - for that reason it's better to call it by its other title Let Sleeping Corpses Lie. Either way, Sorgini's soundtrack is a killer

IdleRich

IdleRich
I started this thread cos I recently heard this killer pastiche/parody pseudo-soundtrack in very much this style

And then someone suggested this one too, it's called Children of Scorpio by a band called Project Gemini.

Seems there are at least two bands doing this just now. I dunno if that counts as a movement - I suspect it has more to do with Bandcamp allowing bands who recognize they have a small but hardcore following to turn a profit with a model of selling expensively packaged "deluxe" products to them - but for the purposes of my thread let's pretend it does.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Another track that springs to mind cos it's just the right sound - although not from any film as far as I'm aware... I sold my seven inch of this many years ago for some reason too

IdleRich

IdleRich
A few random ones including those that I've mentioned elsewhere just to get them all in one place

Molino ripped off Psyche Rock here I'm sure, but I wonder if this was the actual inspiration for the Futurama tune

Savage fuzz on this library

Killer acid flute

This one is a library - I assume the name Valotti is made up, probably a UK guy but could easily be totally wrong - and I'm not sure if it's on any soundtrack - but it fucking well should be and the sound is perfect for this thread... big long term want, please somebody find me a copy of this record!

IdleRich

IdleRich
Stelvio Cipriani did loads of killers - as I said, this is a fav

And I guess he liked it too, certainly he didn't see any need to change it for this film, the name of which is pretty derivative too - you can imagine them saying "instead of a shark we'll have a squid... and if a shark has jaws, then a squid has... Tentacles!"

I guess Femina Ridens is his most feted soundtrack

IdleRich

IdleRich
And then someone suggested this one too, it's called Children of Scorpio by a band called Project Gemini.

And I've no idea if it's a deliberate reference to it or not, but Children of Scorpio immediately reminds me of the Zodiac inspired killer in Dirty Harry. And that soundtrack features Lalo Schifrin at his fuzziest (as far as I know) on this tune which is right up there with some of the Italian gear above in terms of nasty buzzsawing fuzzzzzz

Although the version they didn't use is even better

I had a stab at extending that into a proper dancefloor killer type thing with added synth bleeps but I lost the work in progress somehow. A terrible loss to the world no doubt

IdleRich

IdleRich
I confess I've never seen this film but apparently it's the origin of the oft-compiled Sitar Beat which has to be the most famous German fuzz sitar soundtrack tune

Apart from Mathar obviously

Oh and should probably include this French sitar psych one while we're at it

IdleRich

IdleRich
I know we already have a Bollywood thread so don't wanna digress into the countless killers there unless they fit perfectly... but this fuzz-psych MONSTER really does and it's one of my all time favourite tunes

And this one from the same album is also banging

IdleRich

IdleRich
Anyway, I've listed what looks like quite a lot of fuzz-filled psychedelic soundtracks old and new from Europe, the US and India... but I'm pretty sure that I've barely scratched the surface so please hit me up with loads more utterly insane brutal ill sick raer breakbeat psychedelic fuzz funk bombs.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Ah yeah I have that seven in fact. From that weird film version of Candide renamed Candy with loads of cameos - Ringo Starr as a gardener, Marlon Brando in brownface as an Indian Guru

337980761_2357220577793057_8555250928651971058_n.jpg

v ·─µ lkinm ,,µł

`
qscd cs xcszxz\ Anyway, I've listed what looks like quite a lot of fuzz-filled psychedelic soundtracks old and new from Europe, the US and India... but I'm pretty sure that I've barely scratched the surface so please hit me up with loads more utterly insane brutal breakbeat psychedelic fuzz funk killers,
ideally ones that will be easy for me to get my sweaty hands on though I realise that lathings down rather too much.

william_kent

I’m on holiday in the former DDR, searching for this tune from an East German spy TV series ( which doesn’t borrow from the 007 theme “at all” )

Orchester Lothar Stuckart - Tentakel

“Fuzz breaks from behind the (former) Iron Curtain”

Edit: today’s excursion was a fail for this tune, but the shop owner told me to come back “before noon” some day next week and he will play me, and I suppose attempt to sell me, the rarest, most obscure, DDR fusion / funk breaks