Otis reading - these arms of mine

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
it's an ok use of technology, but when it become the dominant method, you lose the natural soul of the unadulterated great voice and human vocal stylings.

Maybe but I think yearning doesn't really exist in UK and American society anymore. There are still pockets of it in the middle east, but even they are fading away.

this is a companion thread to 'western movies' because obscure things are all too often obscure for good reason. sometimes obvious things are the best things. i was listening to one of dave godin's compilations over breakfast this morning and it reminded me,nothing beats soul music, nothing. when i was a young boy i used to swoon to sam cooke and aretha franklin, even as a tiny child i knew this music was magical, it reached a level nothing else could, something direct and real, when i was an adolescent nothing reached my troubled heart like soul music and now as a burnt out, spiritually bankrupt, bored with life 20something, it still is the only music to really do it for me. no other music is so emotionally articulate. the heart is simple. the human animal is a simple animal. at the deepest level, the heart simply longs, and soul is the sound of that longing. thats why its the best music ever made. it strips back the layers. the protective layers. the armoured heart. it exposes the naked, wormlike heart. and dsiplays it, holds it up, says look, the worm, the heartworm, the level at which we're all the same, our common humanity, the heartworm. thats real music that commnicates what it is to be human, doesn't describe, presents, here it is, this is what its like. to be a plaything of the fates, desire's helpless puppet, suffering love and loss, hope and despair, overwhelmed by forces the mind has no control over, things deeper, older and stronger than the concsious mind, frightening forces, like the sea is frightening, the dark, turbulent sea, so deep and strong and unknowable, sam cooke, jackie wilson, bobby bland, solomon burke, irma thomas, artha franklin, the temptations, smokey robinson, otis reading, al green, clarence carter, arthur conley, the sound of the sublime. you can keep your bleepy electro wank and your european avant garde composers and free improv noise, your japanese out rock and all the rest of it, gimmie 3 minutes of the sublime, with horns!

here

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
When you delve into the archives you really get to see a different luka, who doesn't think all music is wrong, a uk funky devotee and soulboy

He is a sensitive boy beaten about by the world and now he guards the worm, he wont hold up the worm no more

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
When you delve into the archives you really get to see a different luka, who doesn't think all music is wrong, a uk funky devotee and soulboy

yes and you're going the way of him. thoughtless consumerism will do this to you.

Look it's not that techno is any kind of radical earth shattering music anymore, clearly it's not, but you need elliptical repetition to satiate the sonic cravings without necessarily being epic emotional music. Now be a good boy and take your medicine and stop with your angst!

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
if techno is caffeine then soul is opium. Yes, we would all love to listen to soul music non stop. it's better than post-punk, it's not even a contest. But too much of a good thing numbs you. Just like it is not healthy to consume opium every day. You need the stimulation of caffeine to turn you into a machine.

Maybe, simpler. Id still choose to be born in this perverted time though - dawn of the internet, climate change, AI, UK funky, pandemic. were seeing some interesting stuff dont you think

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Maybe, simpler. Id still choose to be born in this perverted time though - dawn of the internet, climate change, AI, UK funky, pandemic. were seeing some interesting stuff dont you think

I told you. I'm in techno mode today, so emotions do not matter at all. This might change in the evening if cunting currys ring me when I'm taking a shit and then when you try and return the call you get that poxy message about how you don't need to call back.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i'm not against the romantic, I'm just dialectical. I see value in both romance and austerity. But Luke doesn't want to understand what dialectical means cos hes a skunk casualty. That's what happens when you refuse to master your senses, you think dialectic is some kind of harry potter magic boy veil.