hand to mouth

sufi

lala
how far from destitution are you?
even with a consistent salary i never had more than a month in the bank all the years i lived in stinky london

but that sort of precarity feels more honest than being embroiled in finance, a simple skint life

Leo

thing is, financial ruin sometimes comes to the wealthily too. the more they make, the greedier they become, and the more expensive they rack up. no one is totally safe. in the states, all it takes is a serious health issue. however, it is possible to be relatively comfortable without being a slave to the man.

makes me nervous just talking about it, an impending jinx.

sufi

lala
i was looking for the article about how this or that proportion of the population are 1 salary away from the street - the gurdian is usually full of them

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Comfortable but seen a lot of death and pavements, often subconsciously link the two yet all one heartbeat away from disaster. Not that kids weigh on you more their care if you drop one day and discussed all with wife, she’ll probably put a dnr on my records

In the past? Precariously at times, homeless, semi-homeless where you’re never in a place long enough to settle and squats which eventually (inevitably) get pigged. In vehicles here, in the US via a network of Irish itinerant visa-overstayers who self funded communal apartments working tourist spots, working the summer through to autumn, mad range of scams, massive education too, maybe the most important although you could binge on rewards too

Reactions: Leo

Dusty

Tone deaf
I spend my life worrying about money. Even when there's enough of it around for the immediate future, I start fantasising about losing my job etc. I should probably seek therapy but I can't risk the outlay.

I had to give up freelancing work and find a 9-to-5 because the stress of not knowing how much I'd make month on month was weighing too heavily on me. Was definitely living hand to mouth at that point.

I suspect 50% of the UK are the same as me? It defines us. Especially with the cossie livs.

luka

i guess the fun part is betting on yourself. spending today and backing yourself to have it tomorrow.

luka

drinking too much, throwing money around, just to say, i'll get up and make it again in the morning