Circuit Breakers

version

Circuits, feedback. Everywhere and, like the coils of a snake, constricting. How often have you heard someone describe being stuck in a loop? You're possibly in several right now; mental; physical; social; professional; financial; biological.

What are the 'breakers'? Does the breaker in this instance protect the circuit, as it does in electronics, or disintegrate it? Are you yourself a circuit in need of protection or is a circuit something that acts upon you and in need of disintegration?

Stories of dead gamers due to mammoth video game sessions, people with either no circuit breaker or who've had their breaker disabled by whatever was driving the loop. Current technologies seem particularly adept at both creating circuits and disabling breakers. The body's need to eat, sleep, drink and excrete can be dulled to such an extent that people will literally die in their chair before breaking the circuit.

2933294134_f096d4b2f0.jpg

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
More like ouroboros

Not enough time to sit and play games to death but you could supplant scribes in the past for a similarly patterned commitment

Work fits, you have to disentangle other people’s negative feedback loops incrementally - remove addictive substances from corpus, diagnose mental illness only where appropriate, introduce packages of self care, remove unhelpful social groups, add physical activities, introduce retraining referrals

The gaming analogy is a helpful one as it’s one of the few activities associated with marathon sitting down sessions and thrombosis. Seen it with mates and choon making too, same looped pattern for an entire evening, jfc take a walk for 5

version

The gaming analogy is a helpful one as it’s one of the few activities associated with marathon sitting down sessions and thrombosis. Seen it with mates and choon making too, same looped pattern for an entire evening, jfc take a walk for 5

I've been pulled into both before. There's something about it that overrides whatever else is going on, you can be sat on one foot and feel your leg going numb and you won't change position until it becomes unbearable.

I found an interesting thing in the 'lizard brain' thread where someone claimed electronic media shuts off or alters certain brain waves. Apparently McLuhan's son did some work on it so maybe it's pseudo-science but it also wouldn't surprise me.

version

To pull in another thread, Ozempic's a circuit breaker. Although it breaks one circuit (overeating) in service of others (financial, chemical).

sufi

lala

What is a circuit-breaker?​

A circuit-breaker is a tight set of restrictions designed to reverse the tide of the epidemic and bring the number of cases down.
The rules could feel a lot like the original national lockdown - but crucially a circuit-breaker is for a fixed period of time.
The hope is they are less damaging - to the economy and people's mental health - than a longer lockdown, because people can plan ahead more easily.
How far Covid rates drop would depend on how severe the restrictions were, and how much we stick to them.

a circuit breaker is another bullshit analogy misunderstood and misused by incompetent politicians trying to sound like technocrats

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
In general I'd say the the circuit breaker, in the figurative and literal sense, functions to halt runaway feedback which goes against the interest of whoever is effectuating the circuit break.

version

slickwilly9684
7 years ago
So many late nights, I could hear this music in my sleep sometimes back in the day