20 years since Boy In Da Corner

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Interesting going on their site, very slick. Didn't know Kool FM was part of Rinse now. Didn't even know it still existed tbh.

Benny Bunter

Nice one, I'll give that a listen.

Weren't a lot of 'proper' grime fans who'd been already been listening to dizzee and them for ages on radio sort of disappointed/underwhelmed by the album when it came out? Lots of complaints there wasn't enough actual grime on it.

I still love the album personally, apart from maybe a couple of tracks, but it was the first time I'd heard any grime at all. That first tune sitting here was pretty spellbinding, and then how Stop dat comes in straight after, great way to start an album I thought

wild greens

Set wasn't great was it but the interview at beginning was quite interesting really

Hadn't heard Fickle off Showtime for ages, it's aged quite well that one

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Presumably was my introduction to grime in my living-in-a-village days.

Then again, maybe it was More Fire Crew's "Oi"? And So Solid, of course.

luka

heard oi coming out a party boat at deafening volume the other day. sounded great. the best grime vocal tune that one. better than i luv or anything else.

wild greens

Just out of interest, how did you get into grime @wild greens ?

I must have been 17 or 18 when I Luv U came out and that was probably the first pivotal one for me, personally, though i don't think its the "best" now. I was really into the club stuff up north then and used to get mixmag/muzik/jockey slut (that one was the best). Grime was like mythical magazine music for a while then i got into it properly via my cousin & his mate working/grafting down here

shakahislop

thought it was terrible when it came out. got it out the library but didn't get it.

got into it years later after dubstep had led me into grime, had it on an mp3 player, was hitchhiking through france. remember the first time i heard jezabel, i was walking down a bike path next to a canal out the outskirts of toulouse looking for a field to camp in. that song is really rough and nasty, it always was, and it sounds even worse in retrospect. a grim piece. but really evocative of being at school.

wild greens

You make up memories, of course, but my memory is that "I Luv U" was a mindblower at the time. Still sounds mental, actually.

I think most of this is just time association really, or at least some of it, but the run through late 90s timbaland/neptunes into grime still seems hugely futurist in a way that most things don't

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think most of this is just time association really, or at least some of it, but the run through late 90s timbaland/neptunes into grime still seems hugely futurist in a way that most things don't
Yeah I think today's pop/rap music is pretty bland for the most part. I suppose when young thug et al were coming out it it was quite fresh and jarring for people.

New York/jersey drill is the only music I've heard lately that has some of that WTF element. But even that stuff doesn't sound quite as weird and abrasive as I luv u.

Obviously I luv u would have been much more shocking and exciting for me cos I wasn't tapped into grime at all.

Was gonna say I was probably listening to boring underground rap music and then that triggered a thought in my head that probably the nearest analogue to that tune in the rap music I was listening to was company flow. The distortion, the intensity etc.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Actually I also was played some of that Brazilian funk music lately and that definitely has some wtf going on, very cheap and nasty sounding tol

wektor

Actually I also was played some of that Brazilian funk music lately and that definitely has some wtf going on, very cheap and nasty sounding tol