BIG words

Benny Bunter

Cool poem. Only stuff I've seen by him was in Scots dialect so I've kind skipped over them. If I was to attempt to sit down and read it properly I'd definitely look up all the big words, but it just looks good doesn't it?

Where I have seen that 'slickensides' word before - Joyce? Prynne? Jones?

luka

Cool poem. Only stuff I've seen by him was in Scots dialect so I've kind skipped over them. If I was to attempt to sit down and read it properly I'd definitely look up all the big words, but it just looks good doesn't it?

Where I have seen that 'slickensides' word before - Joyce? Prynne? Jones?
i was wondering today who was the first poet to draw for the geology. in my head it's Jones, certainly this poem has a lot of similarities with the anathemata, but i dunno.

Benny Bunter

Can't really think of anyone before Jones - possibly Neruda around the same time had some stuff that was pushing in that direction.

luka

At its core, geopoetics proposes that a connection between language and geology has become a significant development in post-World War II poetics. In Geopoetry, Dale Enggass argues that certain literary works enact geologic processes, such as erosion and deposition, and thereby suggest that language itself is a geologic--and not a solely human-based--process. Elements of language extend past human control and open onto an inhuman dimension, which raises the question of how literary works approach the representation of nonhuman realms. Enggass examines the work of Clark Coolidge, Robert Smithson, Ed Dorn, Maggie O'Sullivan, Jeremy Prynne, Jen Bervin, Christian Bök, and Steve McCaffery, and he finds that while many of these authors are not traditionally connected to ecocritical writing, their innovations are central to ecocritical concerns. In treating language as a geological material, these authors interrogate the boundary between human and nonhuman realms and offer a model for a complex literary engagement with the Anthropocene.

Benny Bunter

Yeah, lots of stuff about crystals and that. The edition I've got has notes at the back that show where he got a lot of his obscure words from, some of them being textbooks and articles about geology, among with a whole load of other scientific stuff.

Benny Bunter

I was making headway with him at one point, but I left off reading him for a while, and when I came back I felt like I was back to square one almost.

Benny Bunter

Celan was always on the lookout for new words, and what look like neologisms are often in fact, strictly speaking, not at all, even if in their new context they effectively function as if they were. In “Eroded” the words “Büßerschnee” (“penitent’s snow”), “Gletscherstuben” (“glacier-parlors”) and “Gletschertischen” (“glacier-tables”) are, as Joris points out, all bona fide geological terms. Joris complements this practice in his translations: the word “slickenside,” while also geological in origin, doesn’t correspond to the German term exactly, but it is “more interesting.”

Benny Bunter

Eroded by
the beamwind of your speech
the gaudy chatter of the pseudo-
experienced — the hundred-
tongued perjury-
poem, the noem.

Evorsion-
ed,
free
the path through the men-
shaped snow,
the penitent’s snow, to
the hospitable
glacier-parlors and -tables.

Deep
in the timecrevasse
in the
honeycomb-ice
waits, a breathcrystal,
your unalterable
testimony.

(Transl. Pierre Joris, 1968)

Benny Bunter

I like the timeless, chilly, inhuman, alien quality to it. You get something similar in Neruda's stuff about Antarctic rock formations too

blissblogger

it's a small word but a recent acquisition that I am determined to use at some point - ichor

"the fluid that flows like blood in the veins of the gods"

also has an archaic medical meaning that we'll ignore as it spoils it a bit

woops

is not like other people
it's a small word but a recent acquisition that I am determined to use at some point - ichor

"the fluid that flows like blood in the veins of the gods"

also has an archaic medical meaning that we'll ignore as it spoils it a bit
used to be addicted to this stuff

william_kent

medicine and life sciences have some long words, but I don't know if they count as "big"

trivia fact that will come in handy at a pub quiz:

the longest word in the the English language is the real name of the protein Titin, and is 819,189 letters long, which means I can't post it here due to the arbitrary character count imposed by the moderators of this forum, but here is an inadequate reading by a guy with an accent who could have learnt a few lessons about circular breathing from Evan Parker - I was hoping for no pauses and turned it off in a huff minutes into his 3 and a half hours waste of time

reading of the longest word