Canary Wharf

luka

Cut to the memorial citadel of Britain’s office age, east London’s Canary Wharf. I can remember when it was on its way to being the Shoreditch of the East End, its warehouses colonised by film-makers and artists. It would today be dancing all night. Instead, it was transformed by Margaret Thatcher’s infatuation with the developer Paul Reichmann’s plan to build a European Wall Street. She made the wharf the biggest state-funded project in UK history. She and her environment secretary, Michael Heseltine, hurled money at it. They declared Canary Wharf’s entire building programme a tradable tax dodge, costing taxpayers billions. They freed it of property taxes. They built it two new railways – the DLR and Jubilee line – a spaghetti junction of motorways and the most expensive road scheme in Britain per mile, the Limehouse Link.

luka

it set a pattern for new London. Huge tract of privately owned space with it's own private security team kitted out to look like policemen. I often go there when I am hungover. I've never been able to work out exactly why. Impossible to use cash there. You can't pay for a ticket in cash at the station even.

luka

I often think about the different tribes that populate the different parts of London. How different they look physically, the different ways they present themselves. It's brilliant looking at the Canary Wharf people in their suits and smart skirts and polished shoes.

luka

lots of places to eat on an expense account of course (eg Roka) but they also have 2 Greggs which are always very busy. They had some expensive street food stalls set up for them for a while but it didn't last. I like the Museum of Docklands a lot and one of my favourite Wetherspoons is right next doot.

luka

on one of the lockdowns i started going to Poplar everyday. i don't know why. but it's very striking how cut off it is from Canary Wharf despite being right next to it. Just a footbridge over a massive road.

martin

----
lots of places to eat on an expense account of course (eg Roka) but they also have 2 Greggs which are always very busy.
I bought a steak bake from one of those. Always loved riding on the DLR, surely the pride of London public transport.