Michael Mann Wave

DLaurent

There's some decent songs in Michael Mann films, not just the Tangerine Dream soundtracks but assorted 80s stuff. I found the band Shriekback today, but then it dawned on me, there's loads of stuff like that from the 80s. You just have to think of a term and put 'wave' after it on YouTube and it comes up. If Michael Mann did Dissensus what kind of music do you reckon he would play? Can you help me out with a playlist?

version

There's something endearing to me about his taste in music. There's no irony in it. He takes these bland songs and sticks them in these very earnest, stylish thrillers and gives them weight and romance.

william_kent

the final scene of Manhunter has to be the finest use of Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Vida in a film EVER

Manhunter - EPIC scene

the way that the guitar shreds milliseconds after the window shatters is just epic, celluloid perfection

( edit: also, this is the best Hannibal Lector film EVER, IMHO )

although, maybe, just maybe, rivalled by the Simpsons lighters candles held aloft in a church scene

Simpsons - In the Garden of Eden by I. Ron Butterfly

incidentally I'm quite fond of this disco do-over I once bought for 10p, but it's no longer on my shelves because it seems I sold it for a profit in order to buy drugs...

Disco Circus - In A Gadda-Da-Vida / In the Garden of Eden

edit: I've just double checked my shelves and I do still have the bongo frenzy version to hand

Michael Viner's Incredible Bongo Band - In A Gadda Da Vida

@ 3:38 plus ish - two minutes of pure BREAKS!

william_kent

i was just reading the wikipedia page for Manhunter and there was a profound reason for using the Iron Butterfly tune:

Mann also spent several years corresponding with imprisoned murderer Dennis Wayne Wallace. Wallace had been motivated by his obsession for a woman he barely knew, and believed that Iron Butterfly's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" was "their song." This connection inspired Mann to include the song in the film

william_kent

the long lost OST to "The Keep"?

I'm cheating here because i've posted it before...

oh dear, i'm repeating myself, time to fetch my coat.....

The soundtrack to The Keep has long been an object of frustration to Tangerine Dream fans - the official versions have all been "music inspired by" or "tangentized" ( ruined by Edgar Froese's tinkering ). A recent TD boxset ( Pilots of the Purple Twilight ) promised to contain the soundtrack but disappointingly just turned out to be more music not in the actual film.. and now there is the promise of a Record Store Day release [0 ] of the soundtrack which I am guessing will another letdown... some TD enthusiasts reckon that these two youtube uploads are close though:

Tangerine Dream - The Keep bootleg OST CD 1

Tangerine Dream - The Keep bootleg OST CD 2

[0] : the Record Store release turned out to be music from the TD CD boxset that had nothing to do with the film, "it's complicated"

william_kent

just so everything is in the same place

the Dr Destructo 12 inch "produced " by Michael Mann ( I'm guessing "production" means he stumped up the cash for studio time, not that he twiddled any knobs, ooh err missus, etc ( in b4 t ) )

Tangerine Dream - Dr Destructo ( 12" / extended )

it's an extended version of the tune featured in Thief, so it's relevant to this thread

william_kent

LTUwNDEuanBlZw.jpeg

MIAMI VICE

a quintessential 1980s mainstream TV show

the soundtrack album of which featured the tune that kickstarted the quintessential production sound of 1980s mainstream chart music

DRUMS FED THROUGH GATED REVERB!

Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight

linebaugh

He has pretty questionable taste if you follow his soundtracks past the 80s. He goes from Tangerine Dream to Moby, Groove Armada, Linkin Park and Audioslave.

You wonder if his taste changed or he always had the potential for shit taste but just didnt have access to shit prior

william_kent

You wonder if his taste changed or he always had the potential for shit taste but just didnt have access to shit prior

after finding out about why he used the Iron Butterfly* tune in one of his films I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt - maybe Moby, Groove Armada, Linkin Park and Audioslave produced the imaginary "our tunes" of the 90s era sex pest obsessive stalkers turned murderers that Micky Mann was corresponding with?

like, his taste isn't shit, it's the taste of his serial killer pen pals that sucks?

* fun fact: Iron Butterfly were named after the grim hypodermic needle design

premiala-meat-injector-3.jpg.webp

a means of delivery which I'm pretty sure William S Burroughs loved

and Steely Dan were named after a metal dildo mentioned in a William S Burroughs novel

so,..

conundrum

why are both bands shit?

DLaurent

I wonder what else he had on his playlists in the 80s. I bet Frankie Goes to Hollywood would be there, even though the music probably got chosen for him?

IdleRich

IdleRich
just so everything is in the same place

the Dr Destructo 12 inch "produced " by Michael Mann ( I'm guessing "production" means he stumped up the cash for studio time, not that he twiddled any knobs, ooh err missus, etc ( in b4 t ) )

Tangerine Dream - Dr Destructo ( 12" / extended )

it's an extended version of the tune featured in Thief, so it's relevant to this thread

There's a twelve inch of Dr Destructo? No way! I love that tune, I guess I need to get that now.