"Dance" covers of famous pop-rock tunes

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's always cool to hear a different interpretation of a tune you know well. I like covers that are very different from the og - or else what's the point? Especially interesting if you're in a club and you hear a tune you know being mixed in, except then you realize it's actually a cover.

It seems to me that when I was growing up loads of singles came with a "dance remix" as part of the package, and nine times out of ten it was just the song with the beat replaced with a basic house one (or if was called 'drum and bass mix' there was... well you guessed it). And a lot of actual covers take that minimal effort approach, just getting a different vocalist to sing the lyrics on top of a vadic beat. But it doesn't have to be that way, I'm looking for the one time in ten where someone who actually liked the original took the time to make a decent cover. Probably a lot of you still think those are cheesey - cos they kinda are, but they are also fun I reckon.

Here's some that spring to mind to get that ball rolling, if you know more then hit me!

For whatever reason there are a lot in this disco-punk-funk style (could probably do a whole thread of them but let's randomly start with this)

This one is maybe not strictly a cover, but it fucking like it is to me...

Go on then, entertain me... and I guess that the further away from the dance-floor the original is, the more surprising and kinda better the cover is... go!

IdleRich

IdleRich
Oh it's Appollo 440 - but without being a pedantic twat, isn't that a remix rather than a cover? My completely arbitrary rule is asking for ones where they go in the studio and lovingly (ha) start from scratch NOT just someone sticking the vocal over a different backing.

version

It says remix, but seems more like a cover to me. I don't think any part of it is from the original recording. It sounds like it's all done with synths and drum machines and the vocals are new.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Oh I thought it was the original vocal... still I'm gonna childishly refuse to back down on the basis that it says "remix" in the title, as you handily point out. Otherwise it would fit the thread nicely.

william_kent

Boney M - Gadda Da Vida

I was going to post ( in fact I did, but I deleted it in a drunken fit of pique ) the tired old

" Disco Circus" cover that I've posted on this forum at least ten times, but then I discovered the Boney M version!

there's a Manchester connection involving Moss Side royalty - there's a story I can tell at the next Great Northern Dissensus Meet Up featuring the nephew of a former Boney M backing singer being kidnapped and...

edit: there's a MAXI version! .... that i just ordered off discogs, damn you rum & coke! *

Boney M - Gadda Da Vida ( Maxi version )

edit: I'm sure I once had a 15 minute long disco version of the Iron Butterfly song, as far as I can recall the LP had an intensely homo-erotic cover, but I'm ashamed to say that i may have sold off some records so I could buy drugs, according to decisions I'm not sure I fully regret

*I'm supposed to be saving up for a fortnight next year in Japan with the love of my life, she really won't be pleased when she finds out I'm buying corny disco vinyl cover versions of rubbish hard rock, as each 12 inch I buy deprives her of some weird overpriced meat on a skewer, and she gets really "hangry" as I've learnt to my cost

edit: but when I win the lottery and buy a mansion with a low ceiling basement only illuminated by strobe and red lights, totally obfuscated by dry ice, then you'll appreciate my selection of cheese channelled via a funktion one sound system and class A, B ,and C drugs, you're all invited, lol

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
from my personal collection:

The Wonder Band - Whole Lotta Love. ( 1979 )

congasm! *****

***** edit: I was trying to conflate orgasm and congas, but maybe @Clinamenic, our resident neoglism expert can help me out here...
Thats a tough one, especially since neither "orgasm" nor "conga" really has much in the way of synonyms.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Pete Shelley - Witness the Change fusion monster

direct to Shelly’s two red and blacks seeing massive flatfish swimming through the dance floor

IdleRich

IdleRich
This is a good one...

Actually, adding a new rule to save time, from now on you have to say who did it previously... in this case it was Corey Hart I believe.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Sort of a cover I'd say

Some people say that's not so much a cover as inspired by but... well you be the judge

IdleRich

IdleRich
I have so many versions of this track, originally recorded by Brian Eno, this take is strangely camp and not-so-strangely rubbish... and yet...