Lets all get into sherry

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
i don't think i ever tried a sherry, it does also remind me of grandmas and strong perfume indeed. i'll try one soon.

Benny Bunter

Worth trying Manzanilla if you can find it. A bit lighter and less acidic than jerez with a sort of slightly salty undertone to it. And you can mix it with 7up to make rebujito

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
As if sherry wasn’t strange enough on its own, I’ve passed even farther down the bridge of taboo and have mixed it with tonic - on more than one occasion no less. Anyway, tonic aside, I’ve liked sherry for a few years now.

luka

As if sherry wasn’t strange enough on its own, I’ve passed even farther down the bridge of taboo and have mixed it with tonic - on more than one occasion no less. Anyway, tonic aside, I’ve liked sherry for a few years now.
what type(s) of sherry? im going to try the sweet one next i think its called pedro jiminez

Benny Bunter

Pedro Jiménez is a really nice dessert wine, very thick and sweet. Again, not the sort of thing you can drink much of.
Give Manzanilla a go if you can find it.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
what type(s) of sherry? im going to try the sweet one next i think its called pedro jiminez
Oh sweet, definitely. Haven't quite wrapped my palate around dry sherry yet (although I have in emergency settings used it as a stand-in for dry vermouth for certain cocktails). Anyway, for sipping, sweet, yes.

Benny Bunter

A good sherris-sack hath a twofold operation in it. It ascends me into the brain, dries me there all the foolish and dull and crudy vapors which environ it, makes it apprehensive, quick, forgetive, full of nimble, fiery, and delectable shapes, which, delivered o'er to the voice, the tongue, which is the birth, becomes excellent wit. The second property of your excellent sherris is the warming of the blood, which, before cold and settled, left the liver white and pale, which is the badge of pusillanimity and cowardice. But the sherris warms it and makes it course from the inwards to the parts extremes. It illumineth the face, which as a beacon gives warning to all the rest of this little kingdom, man, to arm, and then the vital commoners and inland petty spirits muster me all to their captain, the heart, who, great and puffed up with this retinue, doth any deed of courage, and this valor comes of sherris. So that skill in the weapon is nothing without sack, for that sets it a-work, and learning a mere hoard of gold kept by a devil, till sack commences it and sets it in act and use. Hereof comes it that Prince Harry is valiant, for the cold blood he did naturally inherit of his father, he hath, like lean, sterile, and bare land, manured, husbanded, and tilled with excellent endeavor of drinking good and good store of fertile sherris, that he is become very hot and valiant. If I had a thousand sons, the first humane principle I would teach them should be to forswear thin potations and to addict themselves to sack.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A good sherris-sack hath a twofold operation in it. It ascends me into the brain, dries me there all the foolish and dull and crudy vapors which environ it, makes it apprehensive, quick, forgetive, full of nimble, fiery, and delectable shapes, which, delivered o'er to the voice, the tongue, which is the birth, becomes excellent wit. The second property of your excellent sherris is the warming of the blood, which, before cold and settled, left the liver white and pale, which is the badge of pusillanimity and cowardice. But the sherris warms it and makes it course from the inwards to the parts extremes. It illumineth the face, which as a beacon gives warning to all the rest of this little kingdom, man, to arm, and then the vital commoners and inland petty spirits muster me all to their captain, the heart, who, great and puffed up with this retinue, doth any deed of courage, and this valor comes of sherris. So that skill in the weapon is nothing without sack, for that sets it a-work, and learning a mere hoard of gold kept by a devil, till sack commences it and sets it in act and use. Hereof comes it that Prince Harry is valiant, for the cold blood he did naturally inherit of his father, he hath, like lean, sterile, and bare land, manured, husbanded, and tilled with excellent endeavor of drinking good and good store of fertile sherris, that he is become very hot and valiant. If I had a thousand sons, the first humane principle I would teach them should be to forswear thin potations and to addict themselves to sack.
Well it's done your writing no end of good, whatever other effects it may have.

IdleRich

IdleRich
cd9da929cc871540d00dac8de6f64b79.png

Surely being British you should prefer port cos it's basically British. The ignorant Portuguese had all the grapes etc lying around but until the British turned up and licked em into shape - "pull yourself together man!" - and told them what to do with it they didn't have the slightest clue of how to go from that to a delicious fortified wine. That's why they all have English names such as Cockburn's (it's pronounced Co-burns Tea stop sniggering).

Then again, I've also heard a story about how it was invented by accident, the British shipped a load of wine from Portugal to UK but when it arrived it had spoiled so they sent it back - and apparently by the time it returned it had reacted again and turned into delicious port wine. Or am I mixing up with IPA? Either way seems strange, why would you ship it back instead of just chucking it?