Now-commonplace musical opinions held amongst the 'cool' that would have been unthinkable to hold in your 'cool' youth

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've noticed particularly in the last ten years that everything that was once deemed incredibly uncool has become cool. Pretty sure happy hardcore is now seen as really cool by hipsters. (I was into happy hardcore when I was 13 btw)

Not sure if this is just the way of the world or the internet giving everyone a voice.

I thought of this cos I just stuck on a Sade song and although I'm enjoying it (somewhat, it's not one of the best ones) it occurs to me that this was probably seen by certain ppl as boring bland shitty music for yuppies back in the day? That's certainly the case with Hall and Oates for example.

sufi

lala

Intergenerational transmission of the patterns of functional and structural brain networks​

basically you hate whatever people used to like due to the pathways that they set up in your brain

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Nu Metal came back around, although the NYT writing about it's possibly the death knell.

I heard some Limp Bizkit from a garden party being held by next door's teenage sons over the summer, and it struck me that it would have been like people of my generation at that age listening to Iron Maiden.

nu metal fashion in 2020 was a big one for me. Something I found orgasmically cringeworthy (and tbqh genuinely thrilling v occasionally as a kind of hyper corniness) when I was at prime audience age

But more interesting is the confluence of these bad taste millennium aesthetics as I pointed out with the charli xcx crowd - nu metal meets Britney and prog / psy trance all at once

Music and art more generally oscillates along these poles where the young and energetic and beautiful enjoy the perversion of wider sensibilities, and they’re the only ones who can pull it off