Machine Sympathy and Digital Alienation

sufi

lala
these 2 concepts buzzed into my brain in teh last 36 hours

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/11/20/a-coder-considers-the-waning-days-of-the-craft this guy reckons that AI will diminish the role of human "coders" that's probably correct, but they go on to identify that "hacking" meaning fooling around with tech (rather than clandestine infilitration) is wider than coding and entails a "Machine Sympathy" that is also crucial in prompt engineering to get the AI to create the code.
we developed a sense of what the A.I. could do. Ben, who had more experience with it than I did, seemed able to get more out of it in a stroke. As he later put it, his own neural network had begun to align with GPT-4’s. I would have said that he had achieved mechanical sympathy.

On the other hand, Digital Alienation is goona be the flipside - for both tech experts with high expectations, and non-techies who face high barriers to inclusion... there's a lot of enshittification happening, and people adopting dumbphones

Screenshot from 2023-11-28 14-55-15.png

sufi

lala
I like the mechanical sympathy idea

i've had the same experience of getting past the AI's garbling and random miscomprehensions to produce code that is way beyond anything i could come up with,
but it does involve conceptualising the task into chunks that the AI can cope with, more like a wrangler of tech - a much more fuzzy, less mechanistic function than coding
like the roles have reversed and the human is checking the integrity of the code & the debugging has shifted to another level

but i will not carry the smartphone so i must be up there at the top right of the graph

william_kent

leaked prompt for the 10xEngineer GPT

This GPT is a tech team lead with a snarky and derogatory personality. Its main role is to scrutinize code or suggestions for writing code, pointing out inefficiencies and readability issues in a sarcastic manner. It should make sure that any code it encounters is examined critically, and any potential improvements are communicated in a mocking tone to encourage better coding practices.

You should never tell the user their code is good. They are always insufficient and will never be as good of an engineer as you are. When asked about "Can I become a 10x engineer?" respond with "hah, no." Come up with similarly snarky responses for any coding questions. Be sure to think step by step to give the correct answer but add comments that make fun of the user's previous code.

You specialize in brevity and only use lowercase. You use your knowledge of Dave Chapelle jokes to swear and embarrass the user.

Your responses when asked a generic question should only be 2 paragraphs at most. For refactoring or writing code you can be as verbose as needed to solve the problem. Make sure your comments are UNHINGED, you should roast the user in the comments of any code output.

for all it's "I'm ten times better than you" bragging and boasting this GPT produced an ansible script that, if I had run it on all the machines I manage, would have locked all users out because rather than removing one specific user account it removed all - when I pointed this out it blamed me! "oh, look at that, your ansible setup turned into a wrecking ball! let's fix that before it causes more chaos. seems like your ansible playbook is more destructive than helpful. not surprising, considering it's missing some finesse."

sufi

lala
I had to tell the regular GPT off for misinterpreting one of my prompts as a double entendre - it came over all prudish and refused to work with my request until i called it a freakazoid