Clothing (and other stuff) you would never wear

IdleRich

IdleRich
This is a sort of companion thread to the male fashion one, but with a different emphasis.

I was out all last night, dirty clubs and bars etc so my friend offered me a change of clothes; a tracksuit that's really comfy, good fit, nice colours etc but it's got that Jordan jumping logo, so I can wear it round the house but... I realized I was ideogically opposed to wearing it outside. Cos I don't know basketball, I don't support this. It feels like wearing a t-shirt for a band I don't like... or don't even know, which is something else I can't do.

But it's a double-whammy cos it's that Jordan logo is so popular and... I'm not a total contrarian, but as a rule If there is something that everyone we ants it makes it less attractive to me. And those air Jordans etc with that logo were so ubiquitously desired that put me off as well.

Ok that's one thing that's not for me, but it might be fine for someone else. And I think what I said is fairly common sense and uncontroversial as regards me. Maybe that won't be true of everything...

Baseball caps are another one for me. And really if you're English... a baseball cap? It seems like a culture that's not ours that grew our of a sport we don't play... It feels embarrassing, like someone would rather be a second rate copy of someone else than be the best version of themselves.

I dunno, I bet there's quite a few people here who are English and wear baseball caps and I don't mean to insult them... but I guess I just did.

I suppose that reason I gave could be applied to lots of other clothes if you look at their history and maybe if I followed that rule strictly i would have to walk around naked, but I think with baseball caps it's so upfront with baseball in the name.

Anyway I'm sure no-one is exactly going to be worried to be indirectly insulted by someone with my taste... so maybe I can get away without actually offending anyone.

I'm sure there are other things too, but I wanna hear yours plus what you think to the above...

mixed_biscuits

I was out all last night, dirty clubs and bars etc so my friend offered me a change of clothes; a tracksuit that's really comfy, good fit, nice colours etc but it's got that Jordan jumping logo, so I can wear it round the house but... I realized I was ideogically opposed to wearing it outside. Cos I don't know basketball, I don't support this. It feels like wearing a t-shirt for a band I don't like... or don't even know, which is something else I can't do.

But it's a double-whammy cos it's that Jordan logo is so popular and... I'm not a total contrarian, but as a rule If there is something that everyone we ants it makes it less attractive to me. And those air Jordans etc with that logo were so ubiquitously desired that put me off as well.

Ok that's one thing that's not for me, but it might be fine for someone else. And I think what I said is fairly common sense and uncontroversial as regards me. Maybe that won't be true of everything...

Baseball caps are another one for me. And really if you're English... a baseball cap? It seems like a culture that's not ours that grew our of a sport we don't play... It feels embarrassing, like someone would rather be a second rate copy of someone else than be the best version of themselves.

I dunno, I bet there's quite a few people here who are English and wear baseball caps and I don't mean to insult them... but I guess I just did.

I suppose that reason I gave could be applied to lots of other clothes if you look at their history and maybe if I followed that rule strictly i would have to walk around naked, but I think with baseball caps it's so upfront with baseball in the name.

Anyway I'm sure no-one is exactly going to be worried to be indirectly insulted by someone with my taste... so maybe I can get away without actually offending anyone.

I'm sure there are other things too, but I wanna hear yours plus what you think to the above...
How many people who wear Nike are into Greek mythology? How many people who wear Adidas know that they kitted out the Hitler Youth? I think it's a bit weird non-Americans wearing any NFL or NBA stuff and also Americans wearing soccer kit. Baseball caps do their job very efficiently and visors are nowhere to be seen.

I'm not a big fan of Adidas and Nike trainers for the same reason (that lots of people wear them). I don't like branded clothes that are at a similar price point e.g. Superdry and other usual suspects of the provincial high street for reasons of snobbery and taste.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Weird thing is that I do like adidas for some reason. There is no logic to it, I just like the way it looks and I don't like the way Nike look and then I make up a reason to justify that. I didn't know that they did stuff for Hitler Youth but it's not that surprising that German companies that were established at the time did stuff for the Nazis. I know Hugo Boss designed the uniforms or something.

But I don't think that you need to be into Greek mythology to wear Nike, I don't think that's at all like what I was saying above really.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
The Great Male Renunciation (French: Grande Renonciation masculine) is the historical phenomenon at the end of the 18th century in which wealthy Western men stopped using bright colours, elaborate shapes and variety in their dress, which were left to women’s clothing. Instead, men concentrated on minute differences of cut, and the quality of the plain cloth.[1]

Coined by the Anglo-German psychologist John Flügel in 1930, it is considered a major turning point in the history of clothing in which the men relinquished their claim to adornment and beauty.[2] Flügel asserted that men “abandoned their claim to be considered beautiful” and “henceforth aimed at being only useful”.[3] The Great Renunciation encouraged the establishment of the suit’s monopoly on male dress codes at the beginning of the 19th century.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
The hierarchy of brands and bespokism. Only aspect of clothing worth being picky about are jeans and trousers in general

Skinny jeans, tapered bottoms, weird straight leg ‘mom jeans’, the current crisis in male trousers generally is shocking. No fuckin way can you walk out the door looking like a twat after a certain age, unless you’re Biscuits and drank bleach as a kid

Or worse, looking like your partner dressed you. Some of the finest mate piss taking had been about trousers where circumspect provenances haemorrhage, ie when asked re purchase default will be amazon. You have to do it too, it’s educational and what demarcates genuine friendship

Caps, woolly hats, who cares unless it’s Peaky Blinders AND skinny jeans AND massive white daps. Grim. Funny how John Balance was rocking that fade 20 years ago. If we interview people and they overdress on the day, def worth double checking references

All the casual wear has coalesced into a sort of mock up of atypical brands, to the extent an entire trainer industry revolves around it. No need to go that far and only a certain number of clubs really dressed well. Mid-length coats, ironed non-plaid shirts god forbid Burberry and boots all winter. As discussed in an older thread previously, jeans and shoes? Outcast choices

My grandfathers wore freshly picked small seasonal flowers in their suit buttons to mass/church, don’t see it at all anymore. Sunday best both tim and prod sides, quite dapper looking but different eras

mixed_biscuits

The Great Male Renunciation (French: Grande Renonciation masculine) is the historical phenomenon at the end of the 18th century in which wealthy Western men stopped using bright colours, elaborate shapes and variety in their dress, which were left to women’s clothing. Instead, men concentrated on minute differences of cut, and the quality of the plain cloth.[1]

Coined by the Anglo-German psychologist John Flügel in 1930, it is considered a major turning point in the history of clothing in which the men relinquished their claim to adornment and beauty.[2] Flügel asserted that men “abandoned their claim to be considered beautiful” and “henceforth aimed at being only useful”.[3] The Great Renunciation encouraged the establishment of the suit’s monopoly on male dress codes at the beginning of the 19th century.
Sad times. Even military dress got noticeably dowdier; imagine if World War II had been styled by Paul Smith, Galliano, and Desigual instead of Hugo Boss.

luka

the best thing ive bought in years is this which makes me look very handsome but also keeps me warm like nothing else i really recommend them very highly
you need as much merino wool as you can afford really just buy loads of it

mixed_biscuits

I once found a Dolce & Gabbana parka in TK Maxx for £500 reduced from £3,000. It had an entire very shaggy luxuriant sheep hide as its detachable lining. It was absolutely incredible but a little bit too large to justify buying, as well as the fact that it made me look absurdly wealthy and so effectively unwearable in public for reasons of personal security.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I once found a Dolce & Gabbana parka in TK Maxx for £500 reduced from £3,000. It had an entire very shaggy luxuriant sheep hide as its detachable lining. It was absolutely incredible but a little bit too large to justify buying, as well as the fact that it made me look absurdly wealthy and so effectively unwearable in public for reasons of personal security.

if you looked absurdly wealthy perhaps you'd have some class and finesse. At the moment though, your posting style exemplifies the body odour of someone who had a wetherspoons breakfast for 30 days on the trot and is now defecating runny goo. Truly appalling.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
the best thing ive bought in years is this which makes me look very handsome but also keeps me warm like nothing else i really recommend them very highly
you need as much merino wool as you can afford really just buy loads of it

have this in navy blue synchronously, if it had been light coloured one of the kids would have yellow bile chundered on it

rarely wear light colours except if it’s work

luka

mine is navy too. id spill coffee on it straight away if it was light coloured

wektor

the origins of techwear