martin

----
96: VARIOUS – “STREET SOUNDS: UK-ELECTRO” LP

Street Sounds - UK Electro.jpg

Haven’t delivered any Oi! yet, so here’s an LP with a Union Jack on the cover.

There’s one strand of MuSIcK-biZ chicanery I enjoy: using a stream of aliases to pretend you’re tapped into a scene bigger than you, your mate and his dog. From the Wise brothers bullshitting Guy Debord about their situationist streetfighter army, to William Bennett’s Happy Valley Africa (where teens in Zimbabwe and Uganda apparently grew up caning Great White Death), to those Illegal Rave compilations that were all the same bloke behind the Strictly Hardcore label…if you haven't got a genuine scene going, make one up.

So, here’s a couple of electro-funk DJs and Morgan Khan conjuring up the UK’s burgeoning ‘80s electro scene from nothing – a magical act if there ever was one. Yeah yeah, West Street Mob, whatever – have you heard Zer-O? We invented 'em earlier. I get the impression some critics view this volume as the joker in the Street Sounds Electro pack: even the individuals responsible describe it as ‘patchy’ and recall knocking it out in a rush, to broadside the Yank electro invasion. The latter’s probably true…but ‘patchy’? Put it this way: when Corpsey plonked the shilling into my pint, I knew this one was making the list...even if I had to cut the John Holt tune adrift.

Both versions of Real Time by Zer-O sound like ghosts serenading me over a Drumulator. Is Broken Glass’ Style Of The Street the first UK rap track? You lot know more about that than I do. Some nice phased scratching on that one – sounds like they’re coming down a drain pipe. The moody Forevereaction tracks aren’t a million miles from the electro-dub stuff Richard H Kirk was releasing around the same timeline. And Syncbeat’s Music sounds like someone fed a sampler a superdove and it vomited out a thousand sunny summer afternoons. That looping chant, the synth swoops and bassline, all feel so fucking joyous I could listen to this one all day. Ignore all other mixes: the version and flow on this album were best.

See? I’m describing the songs as if they’re by separate acts: still trapped in the spell. I don’t honestly see the point of comparing this to Al-Naafiysh or any of the Model 500/Cybotron stuff, and dunno if I'd recommend this to anyone after serious B-Boy history: it feels more like some fluke experiment where alchemists transmuted raw electric current into a one-off mutant electro/SAW pop/proto-acid mash-up. Much more fun than 1,000 Volts Of Holt.

martin

----
I was 7 or 8 when I first saw a copy of Are You Experienced. I was transfixed by the cover shot: Jimi hovering like a warlock moth above his long-haired, freak-brother bandmates. Adam & The Ants, The Human League and The Jam were ‘adults’, but felt more like older teenagers – while The Experience had the look of unflappable confidence that comes with age...and lots of HEROIN. When I read the back cover blurb about young Hendrix living hand-to-mouth between tenements, rats and cockroaches scuttling over him as he slept, I felt deeply ashamed for liking Adam Ant’s idiotic Puss ‘N Boots video. When I heard Jimi sing “Feel like I’m living at the bottom of a grave”, I realised he’d seen horrors Weller could never comprehend.

Back then, Ken Livingstone’s GLC used to issue free Thin Lizzy tapes to London Irish families, so that was the second rockist assault on my pop-addled baby brain. Mind you, that was the era when you could go and see Hawkwind and Vera Lynn headlining a Right To Work benefit in Victoria Park. The GLC wouldn't fix a traffic light for four months, but fancy a Women’s Liberation Workshop jazz all-dayer on the roof of Kensington Market? How about five of 'em?

It’s well known that Dissensus and electric guitars don’t mix, so I’ll whizz through 95-91 with a few of my favourite '70s PROTO-PUNK ANTHEMS. Unlike all these Krautrock sissies, I need primitive VIKING BERSERKER THUD pounding through the cigarette smog and into my now COVID-ravaged brain. PC speakers are too puny to do the next 17 minutes justice, but anyway:

95: LARRY WALLIS – “ON PAROLE”

Antisocial personality disorder + amphetamines = instant classic. One of my unlikeliest encounters was walking through Tokyo’s Akihabara electronics district* and seeing schoolgirls in uniform playing some outdoors Guitar Hero-style game, and rocking out with plastic guitars…to this. Add the paranoid night-vibes of Police Car on the A-side, and this is one of the greatest London singles ever made (* also home of the WANKATRON, described elsewhere on the forum).

94: MICK FARREN + THE DEVIANTS – “SCREWED UP”

If Guy Debord had really been cool and heard the pro-situ slow burner Screwed Up, he’d surely have tried to hook up with The Deviants on his ill-fated trip to London. Though, given Mick Farren’s gargantuan appetite for booze and dope, it’d probably have ended with a shit-faced Debord being bundled head-first into a cell in Shepherd’s Bush nick, sobbing "sacre bleu, make it stop spinning".

93: THIRD WORLD WAR – “WORKING CLASS MAN”

These West London hairballs were recording songs called Coshing Old Lady Blues back in 1972. Their best-loved track is probably the armed revolution fantasy of Ascension Day (“Waiting on the rooftops/Looking for a sign/ Pull your hand-grenade pin/And I'll pull mine”), which IS good – but the riff and lyrics on THIS banger about a terminally pissed-off trucker slugging his way through the day from hell do it for me. Shame about the extended fade-out (with trumpets - horrible instrument), but it's not grim enough to wreck the preceding three-and-a-bit minutes.

92: THIN LIZZY – “BLACK BOYS ON THE CORNER”

Why would you bury something as great as this on the flip of Whiskey In The Jar? Maybe I’m comparing apples with orangemen but the reason I found Funkadelic such a tepid let-down was their inability to scale the heights of Lizzy tunes like this and It’s Only Money, Sha-La-La and Bad Reputation. Can't think of a better soundtrack for childhood holidays in rural Sligo, which gave me lifelong cherished memories of nearly drowning, my shitkicker cousins crashing a car 'for a laugh' and being forced to eat boiled eggs after demolishing a crate of Harp lager in a barn.

91: MOTORHEAD – “CITY KIDS”

OK, here’s a controversial opinion: it was all downhill after this (yeah, even Overkill, Bomber and Ace of Spades). Lemmy was a boring bastard, really – moaning about all these rappers who can’t even play bar chords, or how laptops aren’t rock’n’roll, or how you don’t know rock’n’roll if you never saw Hendrix, maaan, or how kids today are all into X Factor, or how you can't call pressing a few buttons and making DUNH-CHH! DUNH-CHH! DUNH-CHH! noises 'music', or how accountants aren’t rock’n’roll (even if they could have helped prevent your band being ripped off for the past 15 years, forcing you to become an LA tax exile), etc etc. But let’s forget all that because City Kids is such a blinder, oozing raw guttersnipe emotion and bathtub sulphate energy. And Larry Wallis wrote it anyway.

martin

----
90: ANNE BEAN / PAUL BURWELL - "LOW FLYING AIRCRAFT" 7"

There’s a low flying aircraft. There’s a low flying aircraft. A low flying aircraft. Please evacuate immediately. Please evacuate immediately. There’s a low flying aircraft. There’s a low flying aircraft. There’s a low flying aircraft. PLEASE. EVACUATE. IMMEDIATELY. Immediately. IMMEDIATELY. It’s a warning. It’s a warning. It’s a warning. It's a warning. IT’S A WARNING...IT’S A WARNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNG…A LOW FLYING AIRCRAFT

And every time someone takes the stage at Café Oto, I think...just for a split-second...“Maybe...just maybe...they’ll sound like…?” – but no, it’s always 30 minutes of drone with pseudo-Super-8 footage of a car park.

martin

----
89: STOCKHAUSEN - "OKTOPHONIE" CD

R-702666-1154608808.jpg

I’ve never understood the classical avant-garde, meaning I don’t know how to appreciate it on an academic or intellectual level. I’m just drawn to stuff that sounds weird and mental. If it disturbs me or makes me laugh, that’s a good start. I don’t understand the 'theory' behind this music, so I’m possibly getting a one-dimensional take on something quite complex – but maybe not. Maybe my inner philistine is right, and a baby macaque could do better on a Fisher Price drumkit.

I don’t even understand my own internal ‘rules’. I’m transfixed to near-tears by Pauline Oliveros’ squeezebox drone classic, Horse Sings From Cloud: one of the best recordings of the 20th century. I don’t play it too often as I’m scared repetition will kill the magic ((incidentally, I once did a strong E in Sheffield and actually saw a horse’s head poke out of a raincloud at 9am)). But then I’ll go to Café Oto and watch a drone artist noodling away, doing the same thing as Pauline...and just want to hurl my overpriced vegan IPA at the stage. Why?

Take Yoko Ono – I wish someone would! No, leave her alone: she gave us great ammo to wind up Beatles fans online. But that said, I’m partial to her albums Plastic Ono Band and Fly, especially the songs Why, Airmale and Greenfield Morning I Pushed An Empty Baby Carriage All Over The City. Yoko Ono’s also proof that the Mandela Effect is REAL. No shit: I just looked it up and her song that was ALWAYS called Don’t Worry Kyoko, Mummy’s Only Looking For Her Hand In the Snow has somehow changed to ”…Mummy’s Only Looking For A Hand In The Snow”. Incidentally, how do we know that Mark Chapman wasn’t a deranged Beatles fan who meant to blow Yoko’s brains out but just happened to be a bad shot?

She's ridiculous, and you'd think tapping into all that cosmic consciousness might stop her blocking Chapman's attempts at parole - but Ono’s nowhere near as fucking cringeworthy as Diamanda Galas, and I’ll take her over Eno too. I remember a TG interview where Genesis P-Orridge recalled telling Eno to ‘fuck off’ after he offered to produce them. Bit of a cheek, considering TG ripped off In Dark Trees for a section on Heathen Earth - but that's iconoclasm for you. I think Eno’s at his best when he plays up to his strengths (ie, being skull-crushingly boring) so I kind of enjoy his homage to total tedium, Thursday Afternoon, which I played a bit during the lockdowns – especially sounded good when accompanied by noisy fox sex outside my flat.

Did you know, Hermann Nitsch once lost a staring contest with a donkey? 100% true! It was one of his early ‘Aktions’, before he got into full-time livestock decapitation. What an embarrassment: any child in Sligo could’ve bested him on that score. Nitsch died in 2022 from, erm, Covid-adjacent comorbidities. I don’t normally speak ill of the dead – others might refer to him as ‘The Werepig of Prinzendorf’, though I wouldn’t stoop so low – but did he have to eat all those cows after he’d eviscerated them in the name of art? Nitsch’s other big boob was when he lapsed into a diabetic coma at his harmonium, slumping over the instrument and jamming the keys with his face for 10 hours – a mishap preserved on his Harmoniumwerk 1-12 series.

Nitsch met his match when FN supporter, animal rights activist and Serge Gainsbourg’s old squeeze BRIGITTE BARDOT decided she’d had enough of his shenanigans at Prinzendorf and staged a protest. Ironically, Bardot had landed in hot water in 1989 for castrating a donkey, which sounds right up Hermann’s kebab van (and one-ups trying to outstare it)…but she took umbrage at the fat slob disembowelling and crucifying a little lamb – as did the ALF, who dialled in a bomb threat. Hurting animals isn’t remotely cool (unless they’re poodles) (no, not even poodles, you sick fuck), so I never really understood the praise showered on this senile gutbucket.

But there’s one avant-garde composer who radiates pure cool – STOCKHAUSEN (like Madonna or Prince, he only needs one name). Blowing arts grants on sending string quartets into the sky in helicopters is my kind of gig - especially if it’s true that the double bass player got airsick and threw up over her instrument (maybe not, but it beats ‘oblique strategy’ cards)…

Everyone goes on about Gesang der Junglinge, Stimmung and Kontakte, but Oktophonie is my favourite. I think the idea was to position eight loudspeakers, each connected to a separate ‘player’, around the listener(s) and bombard them from all directions. Would be brilliant to actually experience this live. It’s like an epic soundtrack to apocalypse, up there with Jean-Baptiste Barriere’s Pandemonium and Xenakis’ Persepolis. Goes without saying you should play this as loud as possible…

I haven’t got any Stockhausen anecdotes, but my older brother has. Sometime in the mid-80s, the Barbican put on a performance of Stimmung by Singcircle. My bruv and his mate, who were both adept at bunking into places without paying, decided to take some acid and go. After getting kicked out of nearby pub for laughing too much, they snuck into the Barbican early and fell asleep in the seats – only to wake up surrounded by the North London cultural elite. Paunchy men in dickie bows, posh old ladies in Chanel gowns… they’d been expecting an audience of industrial weirdos as scruffy as they were. Unfortunately, my brother didn’t last long, especially after knocking a woman’s hat off her head with his arse. Then, when the performers squealed “PEE PEE…I LIKE TO PEE ON A TREE” he and his mate totally lost it and got hauled out by security. Apparently it was a colossal let-down - especially as they could have gatecrashed the Astoria and seen Psychic TV doing wolf noises and wank magick instead...

version

But there’s one avant-garde composer who radiates pure cool – STOCKHAUSEN (like Madonna or Prince, he only needs one name). Blowing arts grants on sending string quartets into the sky in helicopters is my kind of gig - especially if it’s true that the double bass player got airsick and threw up over her instrument (maybe not, but it beats ‘oblique strategy’ cards)…

His comments on 9/11 were great fodder for the outrage machine. It was obvious he wasn't condoning it and perhaps tactless of him to say it publicly, but the press is gonna do what it does.

martin

----
His comments on 9/11 were great fodder for the outrage machine. It was obvious he wasn't condoning it and perhaps tactless of him to say it publicly, but the press is gonna do what it does.
Didn't he say it was "Satan's greatest work of art" and they cut the "Satan's" part? But yeah, spot on about the press.

martin

----
88: VARIOUS – “THE SECOND COMING” LP

4-3962.jpg

“Are you going to be there…to witness…the SECOND COMING?” Whitehouse screamed on their first LP in 1980. Well…OK, yeah! Why not. This sampler, released on William Bennett’s Come Organisation label, harks back to a brief nascent period of experimentation before ‘power electronics’ became the cul-de-sac of serial killers, nazi death camps and sexual perversion that we all know today. A time before all the tropes became codified and predictable…before you could guess what a release sounded like by the pile-up of corpses on the cover…

It’s the sound of some young friends in North London (specifically, Finchley and Temple Fortune) having a laugh, recording a racket and seeing where it takes them – and then having the bare-faced cheek to release it on vinyl. As with Bukowksi: don’t blame the originators for the feckless copycats.

“Call it an elite…and you’d be right!” I still smile thinking about that line – delivered when the London Musicians Collective were bending over backwards to be prolier than thou, and when the anarcho-punks were printing PAY NO MORE THAN 90p on their front covers. Instead of humbly joining the collective and downplaying their own recordings and ambitions ((something sadly prevalent in today’s ‘no audience underground’, where way too many acts apologise for merely existing)), Bennett stuck his nose in the air, charged top dollar for his Come/Whitehouse releases and threatened bootleggers with legal action – which is fucking hysterical in itself (my first ever correspondence with Bennett in the mid-1990s involved me naively sending him a tape and SAE in the post, asking if he could record me Extreme Music From Japan: the comp he’d just released on the post-Come Org Susan Lawly label. He sent me back the blank tape and a note on Hello Kitty-headed paper, politely explaining he didn’t ‘have time to provide a taping service’).

FBlvMuCWUAs7PxV.jpg
The doorway's the original Come Organisation 'office' on Monkville Parade, Temple Fortune. Snapped during the early 2021 lockdown. I also tried to take a pic of the original Mute Records 'office' (ie, Daniel Miller's home) on Decoy Avenue, but it was a mess of tarpaulin - probably another L&Q development now.

I bought my copy of this LP in Tokyo. I’m too scared to convert Yen to GBP, so let’s say it cost me…£20? Bargain. Red vinyl ‘n’ all. The front cover’s an early Steve Stapleton effort, involving what looks like an anorexic girl and a submissive sealion, a suicide by hanging and a hacked-up academic review of Luis Bunuel’s Nazarin (great film, by the way). People tend to assume power electronics was all about hymning Charles Manson, Uncle Adolf, Ed Kemper and Peter Kurten, but this microscopic, obsessive subgenre also served as a launchpad to Stan Brakhage, Maya Deren, Berlin Dada, Boris Vian and Jean Genet, among others.

Anyway, Whitehouse contribute their 24-carat party banger Shitfun, with Bennett repeatedly yowling “777…Shitfun!” and doling out racy De Sade excerpts over shards of feedback that make me think of a detached power cable thrashing around a Ballardian tower block (at times, the distorted bass rumble also reminds me of DJ Slugo’s Dance Mania classic No Ground Wire). I used to wonder if Bennett genuinely had Tourette’s. On a poo-related note, Coprophilia by The Sodality (ersatz Whitehouse, not the *actually shit* Italian shock-jock merchants of the same name) is a soothing warm drone bath…wish the track lasted longer. Come’s In Country (yep, Bennett again) sounds like a mental patient whisper-whelping over a two-note synth bass and some sloppy drumming. It’s daft, but enjoyably unhinged.

But especially check out the side-long Nurse With Wound track: despite Bennett’s determination to release “the most repulsive records ever conceived”, Stapleton was already taking the piss and going full absurdist as early as 1981. While other industrialists swotted up on Burroughs’/Gysin’s tape cut-up techniques and used them to skulk around town with dictaphones, broadcasting Brixton riot ambience in a bid to shut down the local army recruitment office, NWW loop what sounds like an outtake reel of actors pissing themselves laughing over an unfunny line – and STILL make it sound like something sordid’s going on. The backing noise (recorded with help from JG Thirwell) is a mix of shortwave radio chaos and what sounds like a severe malfunction in a computerised ticket office. And what on earth are those German language tape excerpts saying? I did German for my GCSE, but now I wish I’d studied harder…sounds like “No tits, that’s our philosophy”??? Guess that’s Stapleton’s style, but I’m almost certainly wrong!

Anyway, in terms of what the fuck am I listening to?, this album delivers in spades.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
88: VARIOUS – “THE SECOND COMING” LP

View attachment 17400

“Are you going to be there…to witness…the SECOND COMING?” Whitehouse screamed on their first LP in 1980. Well…OK, yeah! Why not. This sampler, released on William Bennett’s Come Organisation label, harks back to a brief nascent period of experimentation before ‘power electronics’ became the cul-de-sac of serial killers, nazi death camps and sexual perversion that we all know today. A time before all the tropes became codified and predictable…before you could guess what a release sounded like by the pile-up of corpses on the cover…

It’s the sound of some young friends in North London (specifically, Finchley and Temple Fortune) having a laugh, recording a racket and seeing where it takes them – and then having the bare-faced cheek to release it on vinyl. As with Bukowksi: don’t blame the originators for the feckless copycats.

“Call it an elite…and you’d be right!” I still smile thinking about that line – delivered when the London Musicians Collective were bending over backwards to be prolier than thou, and when the anarcho-punks were printing PAY NO MORE THAN 90p on their front covers. Instead of humbly joining the collective and downplaying their own recordings and ambitions ((something sadly prevalent in today’s ‘no audience underground’, where way too many acts apologise for merely existing)), Bennett stuck his nose in the air, charged top dollar for his Come/Whitehouse releases and threatened bootleggers with legal action – which is fucking hysterical in itself (my first ever correspondence with Bennett in the mid-1990s involved me naively sending him a tape and SAE in the post, asking if he could record me Extreme Music From Japan: the comp he’d just released on the post-Come Org Susan Lawly label. He sent me back the blank tape and a note on Hello Kitty-headed paper, politely explaining he didn’t ‘have time to provide a taping service’).

View attachment 17401
The doorway's the original Come Organisation 'office' on Monkville Parade, Temple Fortune. Snapped during the early 2021 lockdown. I also tried to take a pic of the original Mute Records 'office' (ie, Daniel Miller's home) on Decoy Avenue, but it was a mess of tarpaulin - probably another L&Q development now.

I bought my copy of this LP in Tokyo. I’m too scared to convert Yen to GBP, so let’s say it cost me…£20? Bargain. Red vinyl ‘n’ all. The front cover’s an early Steve Stapleton effort, involving what looks like an anorexic girl and a submissive sealion, a suicide by hanging and a hacked-up academic review of Luis Bunuel’s Nazarin (great film, by the way). People tend to assume power electronics was all about hymning Charles Manson, Uncle Adolf, Ed Kemper and Peter Kurten, but this microscopic, obsessive subgenre also served as a launchpad to Stan Brakhage, Maya Deren, Berlin Dada, Boris Vian and Jean Genet, among others.

Anyway, Whitehouse contribute their 24-carat party banger Shitfun, with Bennett repeatedly yowling “777…Shitfun!” and doling out racy De Sade excerpts over shards of feedback that make me think of a detached power cable thrashing around a Ballardian tower block (at times, the distorted bass rumble also reminds me of DJ Slugo’s Dance Mania classic No Ground Wire). I used to wonder if Bennett genuinely had Tourette’s. On a poo-related note, Coprophilia by The Sodality (ersatz Whitehouse, not the *actually shit* Italian shock-jock merchants of the same name) is a soothing warm drone bath…wish the track lasted longer. Come’s In Country (yep, Bennett again) sounds like a mental patient whisper-whelping over a two-note synth bass and some sloppy drumming. It’s daft, but enjoyably unhinged.

But especially check out the side-long Nurse With Wound track: despite Bennett’s determination to release “the most repulsive records ever conceived”, Stapleton was already taking the piss and going full absurdist as early as 1981. While other industrialists swotted up on Burroughs’/Gysin’s tape cut-up techniques and used them to skulk around town with dictaphones, broadcasting Brixton riot ambience in a bid to shut down the local army recruitment office, NWW loop what sounds like an outtake reel of actors pissing themselves laughing over an unfunny line – and STILL make it sound like something sordid’s going on. The backing noise (recorded with help from JG Thirwell) is a mix of shortwave radio chaos and what sounds like a severe malfunction in a computerised ticket office. And what on earth are those German language tape excerpts saying? I did German for my GCSE, but now I wish I’d studied harder…sounds like “No tits, that’s our philosophy”??? Guess that’s Stapleton’s style, but I’m almost certainly wrong!

Anyway, in terms of what the fuck am I listening to?, this album delivers in spades.

love this Nurse release

martin

----
87: COCTEAU TWINS – “GARLANDS” LP

R-62111-1347313125-7470.jpg

(God, I hate the fucking artwork for this one! Should've pilfered the 4AD budget and hired Sleazy to do something better)

Don’t take any heed of ‘experts’: most of them don’t know shit. If you’re a shy bloke from a hellhole like Grangemouth…but you’ve miraculously been given the chance to drag your tiny, unrecorded, unglamorous band into a proper studio to record their debut LP…ESPECIALLY ignore the engineers when they tell you: “Oh no, don’t connect any FX pedals to the drum machine…it won’t sound nice!”

The curmudgeonly guitarist regrets backing down on that point, and now hates this album. I think he’s being a bit melodramatic – but to be fair, the drums on Garlands slap, and if they’d been beefed up with bucketloads of reverb and ring mods, this could have been an industrial epic on par with the early SPK 7”s. Or could have given Code Money a run for his…er…

Shit! I’ve just realised Corpsey wanted songs, not albums…oh well, too late to turn back. Dunno if I could isolate a track on Garlands for particular attention, though. The whole album feels more like a mood. I can isolate bits: like when Liz Fraser’s vocals ‘back-swoop’ (official audio engineer technical term) in a split-second before the chorus kicks in proper on But I’m Not. Or the guitar skree at the end of the title track, which sounds menacing enough that Hong Kong pulp movie maker GODFREY HO swiped it (without a release form) for a shoot-up scene in Ninja In The Killing Fields.

Liz Fraser told the NME that she looked up random phrases in language books and melded them together to create an aesthetically pleasing but ultimately meaningless syntax. I think she’s lying. I believe Fraser was studying witchcraft and using the listeners as guinea pigs. I believe she may have been hexing us with dark, depraved spells all along. There’s a great performance from Amsterdam in 1983 where it looks like she’s stimming: but I guess a witchfinder from the year 1290 could have accused her of demoniac possession and had her drowned in a bucket...

I’m also bigging this album up because it contains the ‘lost’ Cocteaus’ track (‘lost’ as in ‘I genuinely can’t understand why nobody EVER mentions this one’): Grail Overfloweth. A song so bleak and moody it makes the first Killing Joke LP sound like the fucking Toy Dolls. Some critics claim early CTs just ripped off the Banshees. All I can say is, I wish Join Hands had ended on something like Grail Overfloweth instead of that rambling Lord’s Prayer shit.

The guitarist also hates their Peppermint Pig EP for reasons I can’t comprehend: I thought it was one of their highlights. Killing off the ‘dancey Cocteaus’ vibe before it rocketed to the moon was a lost opportunity, in my humble. I hope it’s not why they ditched the original bassist, Will Heggie: he’s fucking amazing on this and the B-side tracks Laughlines and Hazel. Now I live in the Highlands, I see 20-year olds who look like him all the time. Who is the third who always walks beside you?

If you saw my reply to Simon Reynolds’ Pitchfork review of Head Over Heels, you won’t be surprised to know another Cocteaus album is coming up in this list. Presuming that disgusting wanker Patrick Sanders doesn’t get us all nuked first...

william_kent

oh, the Cocteau Twins cover art being better than a post Helios Creed Chrome album cover?

i.e.,

LTcyMjUuanBlZw.jpeg

was that it?

william_kent

I may have deleted my Dissensus troll conspiracy theory ( @catalog didn't agree with it when I presented it at the last Great Northern Dissensus meet-up so I may be mistaken and @martin did a "WOW" face just before I deleted my previous post, so maybe I'm mistaken in my opinion that at least 3 posters are the one and the same )

but anyway

@martin

GO FOR IT!

only 86 to go!

william_kent

I love the way I've formed an infernal pact with @martin * in the same way that @version bent to my will and only we ( me, @martin, @version ) WILL KNOW THEE TRUTH & experience TRUE WISDOM emanating from THEE "ANTI DISSENSUS"

fuck ECO and his unread books, the true GNOSIS lies with the deleted Dissensus posts

THEE ANTIFORUM!

edit: I'm a bit drunk

* he deleted a funny post without me asking, but not for the first time, our celtic blood ( that includes you @version! ) binds us!