luka

its the right place to set it. mvuent told me and edmund that florida is the petri dish of america, its where all the strange mutations are happening

luka

settlers began arriving in modern-day Palm Beach by 1872.[4] Hiram F. Hammon made the first homestead claim in 1873 along Lake Worth. At the time, the lake area had fewer than 12 people. By 1877, the Tustenegee Post Office was established in modern-day Palm Beach, becoming the lake area's first post office.[1] Along the coast of Palm Beach, the Providencia wrecked in 1878 with a cargo of 20,000 coconuts, which were quickly planted.[4] In 1880, Elisha Newton "Cap" Dimick converted his private residence to a hotel known as the Cocoanut Grove House. At the time of its opening, the Cocoanut Grove House was the only hotel along Florida's east coast between Titusville and Key West. A fire destroyed the hotel in October 1893.[12] The Star Route, also known as the Barefoot Mailman route, began serving the area in 1885.[13] Carriers delivered mail by foot or boat from Palm Beach and other nearby communities to as far south as Miami, a round trip of 136 miles (219 km).[14] The first schoolhouse in southeast Florida (also known as the Little Red Schoolhouse) opened in Palm Beach in 1886.[13]

Henry Flagler, a Standard Oil tycoon, made his first visit to Palm Beach in 1893, and described the area as a "veritable paradise".[15] That same year, Flagler hired George W. Potter to plot 48 blocks for West Palm Beach, a city to house workers at his hotels, and construction began on the Royal Poinciana Hotel.[16][17] The Royal Poinciana Hotel opened for business on February 11, 1894.[16] Flagler, also the owner of the Florida East Coast Railway, extended the railroad southward to West Palm Beach by the following month.[18] In 1896, Flagler opened a second hotel originally known as Wayside Inn, before being renamed Palm Beach Inn, and later becoming The Breakers.[19] Fires later burned down the hotel in 1903 and 1925, but it was rebuilt twice. The Palm Beach Daily News began publication in 1897 originally under the name Daily Lake Worth News.[20]

luka

Zoe Pound is a criminal street gang based in Miami, Florida founded by Haitian immigrants in the mid-1990s.[1]

Etymology​

"Zoe'" is the anglicized variant of the word zo, Haitian Creole for "bone", as members were known to be "hard to the bone." When conflicts against Haitians arose, the pound would be sought out to retaliate; thus, the street gang name, "Zoe Pound", was born.[4] "Pound" may also stand for "Power Of (the) Unified Negroes (in) Divinity".[5]

History​

Having branched out from Miami in the two decades leading up to 2010, they are known to be involved in drug trafficking and robbery and related violent crimes in support of their drug trafficking activities in Evansville, Indiana.[1]

In 2004, six Zoe Pound leaders were arrested on racketeering and conspiracy charges in Fort Pierce, Florida after Florida Department of Law Enforcement offices convinced several gang members to give testimony for the prosecution.[3]

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Leonard later explained that his visits to see his mom showed him Florida’s potential as a crime novel setting.

“Visiting her, I found Miami a great locale,” Leonard told Rolling Stone. “The high crime rate, the contrast in people—rich retirees, Cubans, boat-lifters—all kinds of good things are going on there for me.”

“I think the idea of the Florida landscape got his juices flowing,” Sutter told me. “It’s the land of psychics and strippers.”

According to one of his friends, his move was born of desperation.

“Elmore showed up here in 1977…with a colossal case of writer’s block,” Bill Marshall, a Coral Gables private investigator, told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel in 1985. “His recovery—no, his renaissance—came together in Florida because he was desperate for fresh ideas. I showed him around town, and he couldn’t believe what he was seeing.”

“I THINK THE IDEA OF THE FLORIDA LANDSCAPE GOT HIS JUICES FLOWING…IT’S THE LAND OF PSYCHICS AND STRIPPERS.”

Florida, as it turned out, was a perfect example of a sunny place for shady people, occupied by both the obscenely wealthy and the desperately poor. Leonard opens his 1981 novel Split Images with a rich psychopath in Palm Beach shooting a Haitian immigrant dead, then hiring the cop who does a lackadaisical job of investigating the crime to help him pull off another, bigger murder.

“I didn’t start paying attention to the contrast between the beauty on the surface and the corruption underneath till I started hanging out with Bill Marshall again,” Leonard told the Sun-Sentinel. “In Miami Beach, you’ve got retired car dealers, dressed in bright yellow shirts and paisley pants, walking down the street—and right next to them are guys who just got out of a Cuban prison, pachucos with tattoos on their hands for killing people. I thought, what could happen in a tense setting like that? What characters would emerge?”

As it turned out, some pretty funny ones.

“He really grooved on all the quirky characters that are gravitationally attracted to Florida,” said Neely Tucker, a friend of Leonard’s who had been a reporter for both the Miami Herald and the Detroit News. “I don’t think Dutch became fully Dutch until he put that Florida touch in there.”

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen

shakahislop

mutant is a good way to think about it. there is a thing that americans say a lot which is that florida is 'weird'. seems like a hodgepodge of different people down there in the tropical heat. there aren't many places like that, tropical humidity and built around cars in that american way. the place attracts a lot of snobbery. i was in miami for two days and absolutely hated it. stayed in a haitian neighborhood and didn't have a car. waiting for buses on corners of these huge intersections. rowdy lads hanging out by their cars on the corners. thick warm air even in january. collapsing buildings, people living in tents, massive cars, neon, people driving around south beach on these kind of quad bike skeleton chassis things, rap everywhere, legs and muscles. lots of money about in miami at least. hostile environment for a pedestrian trying to wander around. you're either outside in the fug or in glistening AC. cuban uber drivers who spoke no english at all. wikipedia says the white population of miami is 14%. it felt like a part of the hispanophone world to me. the carribean loomed large.

shakahislop

by all accounts florida has a big population of new yorkers. feel like all the old school new yorkers that got gentrified out have ended up there. every airport i go to on the east coast has a departure board full of floridian destinations, two or three hours feels like a short hop by US standards. elderly vietnam vets who grew up in red hook. snowbirds etc. there's a certain kind of link with the northeastern conurbation. one strand of the mutant DNA

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
mutant is a good way to think about it. there is a thing that americans say a lot which is that florida is 'weird'. seems like a hodgepodge of different people down there in the tropical heat. there aren't many places like that, tropical humidity and built around cars in that american way. the place attracts a lot of snobbery. i was in miami for two days and absolutely hated it. stayed in a haitian neighborhood and didn't have a car. waiting for buses on corners of these huge intersections. rowdy lads hanging out by their cars on the corners. thick warm air even in january. collapsing buildings, people living in tents, massive cars, neon, people driving around south beach on these kind of quad bike skeleton chassis things, rap everywhere, legs and muscles. lots of money about in miami at least. hostile environment for a pedestrian trying to wander around. you're either outside in the fug or in glistening AC. cuban uber drivers who spoke no english at all. wikipedia says the white population of miami is 14%. it felt like a part of the hispanophone world to me. the carribean loomed large.
you're the best travel writer working today