disability and social justice/dei

shakahislop

not much to add except to say that you're totally right and that hopefully the social justice worldview will continue to expand out to the things that it currently neglects.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I'd like to suggest that the framing of "disability" is strangely broad—mostly it bunches together a lot of people who have nothing to do with eachother…

You could say the exact same for gender and race. The problem is individualism and identitarianism.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It is often no coincidence that those who are most fervently committed to social justice movements are middle class, and white middle class, in my experience. It can often be a new way of reasserting ones privileges. Zizek isn't right about many things, but he is right about this.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It is often no coincidence that those who are most fervently committed to social justice movements are middle class, and white middle class, in my experience. It can often be a new way of reasserting ones privileges. Zizek isn't right about many things, but he is right about this.

another good takedown of the social justice worldview.

What Ned Resnikoff demonstrates is that white guilt has a dark side, which I propose labeling “white purity.” It is a kind of ideology of racial hygiene which embraces multiculturalism and diversity, but attempts to eliminate undesirable elements from the white identity itself.
From the perspective of white purity, there are good whites. They have college degrees, listen to NPR, and have many POC friends. But unfortunately there also are bad whites. They’re bad because they probably voted for Donald Trump. But it gets worse. They listen to country music and eat factory farmed meat. They are offensively overweight, and go to church instead of yoga on Sundays. Most disgusting of all, they work in dirty manual labor jobs and have a petty fixation on making more money, unaware that at Harvard an English major of color is being forced to endure the trauma of reading Huckleberry Finn.
The whole thing gets more complicated because there are a few other bad whites who shouldn’t be bad whites, like Mark Lilla or Todd Gitlin. Despite their good educations and their incomes, they fail to embrace white purity. Instead, they advocate returning to the white politics of the 1930s and 1940s, when a benevolent white president secured a welfare state for his fellow whites.
As it turns out, these lapsed whites are actually a godsend for the whole project of white purity, because they serve to discredit any possible ideological threat. All non-white critics of white purity can be dismissed by loudly claiming that they are little more than lapsed whites in disguise. Whether you are black, Arab, Puerto Rican, or Korean, you will need to be re-identified if you fail to play your role.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
important point:

Indeed, to the consternation of good whites, not every non-white is on board with white purity. Many are, to be sure, because the secret reality which white purity hopes to obscure is that non-whites are just as capable of a diversity of opinions and perspectives as whites are. For white purity to succeed, non-whites have to be romanticized as noble victims. When they fail to fit into this category, white purity seems to lack a proper foundation.
Fredrik deBoer asks, “Does it matter to Resnikoff that the most acid critiques of identity politics I know of have come from writers of color?” It is a question that keeps many whites awake at night. But for the rest of us the reasons are obvious. Because we have experienced racism from well-behaved and well-educated liberals as often as from the rednecks they despise; because we have never benefitted from the condescending and patronizing attitudes of white multiculturalists; because we recognize in the affluent liberal hatred of the white poor the same depraved social Darwinism that in less public moments is directed against us.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
not much to add except to say that you're totally right and that hopefully the social justice worldview will continue to expand out to the things that it currently neglects.

It won't. It's already undergoing collapse. and this is good for us, because it means class against class.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
massively complex issues

got my research bones on psych condition cohorts, long term addiction among hiv demographics and access to care

labyrinthine systems but deliberately so, anything to reduce the £ burden on local/central govt

duty of care, employment rights, performative medicalisation systems which are just an HR extension, housing, transport, PIP, meds and pharma, property and building access, charity sector crumbling, funding cuts, social care soaking up agency, it’s barely scratching the surface

Britain is a fuckin disgrace on this front, our council is bankrupt as an example so everything is cut

any law is only as solid as the funding it takes to underpin such statutes, @thirdform might drop some knowledge about accessing buildings, law and visual impairment and @craner knows from c.a.b how integrating local services maps onto policy/law

intriguing topic from diverse angles, hope Dissensus engages

What is happening in the UK is the logical consequence of the absolute fetish of bureaucracy taking centre stage. You have a massive department tasked with investigating so-called benefit fraud, which is a coded dogwhistle against those who are both physically and intellectually disabled. In reality this so-called fraud is less than3%. A huge, bloated, unproductive sector which obscures A) the increase in relative surplus value and B) concurrent to that, the fall in the rate of profit, in spite of the mass of profit increasing. It is just the trading of contracts for whatever hell front companies are needed.

Our formula has always been the diametric opposite to this, a forceable reduction of labour hours, and elimination of parasitic jobs.

version

You have a massive department tasked with investigating so-called benefit fraud,

The latest on this being the government looking to give the DWP the power to look at people's bank accounts without suspicion of fraud...

Work and pensions minister Mel Stride told MPs in early December the new inspection powers would help raise approximately £500mn over the next five years... The bill is part of the government’s bid to reform and simplify data protection laws and loosen restrictions placed on businesses and law enforcement... The DWP can currently obtain individuals’ data when there is a “reasonable suspicion” of benefit fraud and error. The new powers would allow it to access anonymised data for a large number of accounts without prior suspicion, enabling it to probe individual accounts in some cases.

Wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with a situation similar to the Dutch,

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Reminds me of those two Lisbon club owners (or promoters or whatever) that Rich mentioned a while back, who only book queer/trans/non-binary DJs, and in fact often talk in quite hostile terms about straight people.... while being a married, heterosexual couple themselves.

0bleak

snl is painful, you can’t apply it as a barometer of ethics because it’s junk to begin with

Whether or not SNL is junk, the point of my post was the audience's reaction to what was said when pointing out some kind of study as a lead up to a joke, and the reaction I received on facebook from several women when I posted about it.
It's often said that diversity is a win-win for all, not a zero-sum game, but if the social justice movement is a _positive_ movement, then why this reaction from both the SNL audience and those women on my facebook?
(which then left me wondering if disability is ignored since it can also affect men - and some invisible disabilities affect men disproportionately)?
What convinced me of that is that, a few weeks ago, I was watching Saturday Night Live "Weekend Update" and I posted the following on Facebook "You know things are out of control when someone mentions that the death gap between men and women has continued to increase with men dying on average 6 years before women, and the audience LOUDLY cheers as if that's a good thing, and no one bats an eye."

social justice/DEI = visceral hatred of men?

If that wasn't bad enough, one of my female friends commented "How is that a bad thing? Have you met men?" to which she received several likes.

Likes from people that have husbands or children that are men!

I'm like, really?!

You're happy that they're continuing to die earlier and earlier than women?! You want that to happen to your husband or child?

mixed_biscuits

They'd have to do something material and alter the clubs to include some disabled people. They can just gesture at other groups on flyers and social media without having to spend more money than usual and still get credit for being progressive.
Clubs are also not very neurodivergence friendly, what with the epileptogenic strobing, the commotion and confusion. The effects of ageing echo some of these processing challenges, which is why those environments become less and less appealing the older one gets.

mixed_biscuits

@0bleak Despite the PR the purpose of the social justice movement is not to help the weak but to hinder the strong. Whereas some people deal with the stress of incoming tribes by attempting to fight them off, the social justice crew, experiencing the same stress (myriad psychological tests show that everyone is stressed out by otherness), deal with it by assuming that the members of novel tribes can not be fought off and therefore concentrate their efforts on assuring themselves at least a modicum of territory and power.

How do they attempt to do this? By setting themselves up as principal negotiators of this burgeoning multi-tribe society and, in dictating how supposedly powerless minorities are to be treated, hoping to secure similar treatment in the event that their anxieties about being in the same position in the future are realised.

Social justice calls groups whose power is feared powerless in order to legitimise the currently dominant group's position as 'Chair', and to convince its clients that their subaltern status is proper; it is especially helpful to think that whites are intrinsically racist as then the other tribes can always be said to be in a submissive position.

Since social justice is an attempt by the ruling white tribe to defuse incoming threats and assuage its anxieties, it is has no regard for disabled people. Disabled people do not represent a threat and do not make able-bodied white people anxious.

luka

edmund said he'd 'go spastic' if i posted about him in the disability thread but we re in natural wine mecca eliots and they were bein cunts to us as always cos we're white men but once he said he was an aut they switched up straight away cos we had points. like third said its always other posh white doing this, not normal people just making that clear.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
edmund said he'd 'go spastic' if i posted about him in the disability thread but we re in natural wine mecca eliots and they were bein cunts to us as always cos we're white men but once he said he was an aut they switched up straight away cos we had points. like third said its always other posh white doing this, not normal people just making that clear.

Corpsey said hes passed on his footage of sheils sticking his hand up yer bumhole to Julian Assange. Did you authorise this? The posh whites like corpsey love titilating gossip

malelesbian

Femboyism IS feminism.
Following Butler, I've always counted disabled people as part of the minorities contemporary identity politics should support. Maybe some leftists don't notice disabled people as much, certainly the right doesn't, but also consider that more mentally disabled people exist today that ever before. I think my lived experience of my mental disability grants me some phenomenological insight into social reality that I might ignore otherwise. Now imagine how different such an insight would be if my whole body was disabled and I had to interface with the world in a different way. So I definitely think we should consider the embodied experience of disabled people in our research into identity politics.

When it comes to perceptions that modern feminism inspires man-hating, I have and will always promote a version of feminism primarily about loving women, not hating men. So identity politics succeeds in that regard. I think women care more about fighting the patriarchy than they worry about people seeing them as man-haters, so they say some wildly over-exagerrated negative stuff about men, often to be provocative. But that's been an issue with feminism since the 60s, long before contemporary social justice feminism. @0bleak Social justice ain't going away. The predictable solution I offer is to simply promote a version of social justice politics that includes and affirms positive views about me. Then again, I kind of feel like I've been a social justice guy all my life, so maybe the thought of abandoning social justice identity politics is a non-starter to me. I feel like right now, people are just bored about hearing the same views about social justice repeatedly over the years and they're so bored that they risk forgetting that most of these oft-repeated views are basically right.

0bleak

When it comes to perceptions that modern feminism inspires man-hating, I have and will always promote a version of feminism primarily about loving women, not hating men. So identity politics succeeds in that regard. I think women care more about fighting the patriarchy than they worry about people seeing them as man-haters, so they say some wildly over-exagerrated negative stuff about men, often to be provocative.
It's not just what people say, but also how people react:
You know things are out of control when someone mentions that the death gap between men and women has continued to increase with men dying on average 6 years before women, and the audience LOUDLY cheers as if that's a good thing
and how people are treated:
I've also experienced things where a woman is verbally attacking me like I'm a terrible human for something that isn't even a minor faux pas, but then finds out that I'm intellectually disabled and then suddenly does such a complete 180 that your head would spin!
^and you can be pretty sure that you're being treated that way if you hear the same person complaining about other white men around their presence
But that's been an issue with feminism since the 60s, long before contemporary social justice feminism.
I guess, but I haven't seen such _regular_ active animosity until the last few years, including regularly seeing it from women friends/acquaintances/friends of friends etc.

0bleak

Now imagine how different such an insight would be if my whole body was disabled and I had to interface with the world in a different way.
My mental disabilities also affect my motor skills and performance iq, so in addition to having to spend much of my life masking my intellectual/mental/personality differences, I also have spent time masking/hiding my motor skill deficits/performance iq.

mixed_biscuits

Left needs to get its head out of its ass, because this is manifestly BS. Do Republicans with broken legs use crutches and wheelchairs or do they crawl around, dragging themselves by their elbows while their good ol' buddies pound their heads in with the heels of their cowboy boots? If Republicans left your health system, which I've heard has some role in helping people with disabilities, the whole country would collapse.