James Hype

IdleRich

IdleRich
Have you seen this guy? I guess I don't pay attention to these things cos the way it always works is, I never hear of these people and then clearly they cross some threshold and they are EVERYWHERE and everyone knows everything about them - and has ALWAYS known.

Anyway, I often see it said variously that music isn't cool, or dance music isn't cool or djs aren't cool... and...

Gotta be a big part of why right? I mean once upon a time the DJ was some kind of mysterious half seen figure behind the decks. They didn't even seem real, but if somehow you could meet them and enter their world they would surely reveal to you shadowy secrets of some magical underground filled with people who were even more invisible and thus cool than them*. This guy - no offence to him (except for all the offensive stuff I'm saying) - is more like one of them announcers at a Pontins weekend except without their underground cred.

When I saw that clip above I really felt it was the final nail in some kind of coffin.

Or maybe I'm just old and wrong and he is, as one of the comments says "the most technical DJ in the world". He's clearly doing something right... you tell me.

*What's that film when he says "It's better to be friends with famous authors than to be a famous author"? I'm thinking on those lines here.

IdleRich

IdleRich
As an aside, I've also noticed how much house and techno - amongst other things - have dramatically changed their meaning.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the guy in Haysi Fantayzee became a shitarse brit/eurohouse dj in the 90s. the rot had set in a long long time ago. of course, herpes-infected ignoramus' like @craner will claim that livin joy dreamer was not antithetical to jungle at all. But it was. Noone who went to awol would go to miss moneypenny's or cream. Ritzy towny trash. Not like the sophistication of jungle at all! Leave that rockist break editing to Alec Empire, the man with no groove.

craner

Beast of Burden
the guy in Haysi Fantayzee became a shitarse brit/eurohouse dj in the 90s. the rot had set in a long long time ago. of course, herpes-infected ignoramus' like @craner will claim that livin joy dreamer was not antithetical to jungle at all. But it was. Noone who went to awol would go to miss moneypenny's or cream. Ritzy towny trash. Not like the sophistication of jungle at all! Leave that rockist break editing to Alec Empire, the man with no groove.

I've always argued very strongly that 'Dreamer' was antithetical to jungle!

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Have you seen this guy? I guess I don't pay attention to these things cos the way it always works is, I never hear of these people and then clearly they cross some threshold and they are EVERYWHERE and everyone knows everything about them - and has ALWAYS known.

Anyway, I often see it said variously that music isn't cool, or dance music isn't cool or djs aren't cool... and...

Gotta be a big part of why right? I mean once upon a time the DJ was some kind of mysterious half seen figure behind the decks. They didn't even seem real, but if somehow you could meet them and enter their world they would surely reveal to you shadowy secrets of some magical underground filled with people who were even more invisible and thus cool than them*. This guy - no offence to him (except for all the offensive stuff I'm saying) - is more like one of them announcers at a Pontins weekend except without their underground cred.

When I saw that clip above I really felt it was the final nail in some kind of coffin.

Or maybe I'm just old and wrong and he is, as one of the comments says "the most technical DJ in the world". He's clearly doing something right... you tell me.

*What's that film when he says "It's better to be friends with famous authors than to be a famous author"? I'm thinking on those lines here.

he’s akin to a fusion of Joe Marler and DJ Hask, two utter divs from the rugby world

Mr. Naga Pickle

jeremy healy was reportedly paid 35k GBP for playing on nye when i was in london
and people in the scene back then were losing their damn minds over that shit, like
"WHY THE FUCK WOULD ANYONE PAY A DJ THAT MUCH MONEY??? WHAT THE FUCK COULD HE
POSSIBLY BE DOING THAT COULD BE WORTH THAT MUCH????".

nowadays, loads of folks (including James Hype) get at least that much per show and play
music so corny it makes Healy sound downright sublime:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Where did he come from though? One minute he was nowhere and a minute later he was all-conquering and everywhere.

Of course that's a rhetorical question, the second I saw that bleached blond DMC whizz, his mannerisms and his moves
it was obvious he had to be American.

And then I heard him speak and it just didn't compute...

IdleRich

IdleRich
Old man shouts at cloud I know.... and fair enough he is good at buggering around with loops and breakdowns and fx on top of scratches etc but it always surprises me in EDM (sorry i mean house) how much that malarkey trumps music. I'm probably misled by the highlight clips I see uploaded but it seems like most of the time it really is Darude - Sandstorm (but with a different bass line) that is getting rinsed.

0bleak

just FYI, That comment wasn't directed at you in any way... it has just been hard not to riff on his name