Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Vital reading for anyone interested in cultivating a brand:

In the 21st century everyone is an entrepreneur. We're all selling one product: ourselves. Everything we say or do in our lives is part of a long and involved process called BRAND DEVELOPMENT. We are not simply living, we are BUILDING BRAND NETWORKS with POTENTIAL CONSUMERS.

This process begins as soon as we socialize. We need to create POSITIVE ASSOCIATIONS with our NASCENT BRAND. Some of this is out of our control, but if we have had good parents and good schooling then we have developed EXTENSIVE BRAND SUPPORT NETWORKS.

Which Dissensian is this?

GGdtIkXXcAEMsAN

shakahislop

The Goffmanian word would be something like "definition of/presentation of self" but I guess "brand" and "personal aesthetic" feel a bit more contemporary and relevant, I'm not totally sure why.

I think in part because "brand" points to the occupation of a niche in a cultural matrix. A coordination of self in a culturally structured space of possibles.

I think that most people who consider themselves (or are considered by others to be) "authentic" are merely offloading this sort of social computation to the unconscious, and perhaps staking out a rarer place in the cultural matrix, that combines aspects not often placed together, aspects which closer track their lasting preferences. That's great, there are advantages for sure, but I think they still end up with a personal brand.
yeah i think just not worrying about it is the way to go here. not that the point of this thread is advice. it's maybe a UK thing or at least a non-posh uk thing, or maybe a rural UK thing actually, idk but something makes me recoil from the idea of constructing an identity like this with a lot of thought. the exception being if it's for your livelihood in which case anything goes. but still there's this thing in me which is like no you should be for real, you should not be striving to project a certain idea of yourself, there shouldn't be any illusion, the idea of you that people have should be based on what you actually are like. there's something in clothing i think, where nailing it is something to do with your clothes correctly communicating who you are. in dimes square you see people trying too hard sometimes and that's what it is, they can't pull it off coz it's not what they're actually like

shakahislop

Applying corporate brand strategy to personal brand is often inappropriate as for the latter there is great scope for personalisation depending on the immediate market. For instance, when I meet someone for whom I would generally be somewhat off brand I can tailor my product to their brand requirements very closely and within 5 minutes they've fallen into the trap of deciding that they like my brand and that that is my deep brand, in the same way that a company's surface branding is meant to reveal a purported underlying attitude. The imprinting is so effective that I can then go off brand subsequently and take them with me, at the least the original manipulation hinders them from realising that I'm actually a

there are so many things that can go at the end of this para, it's like a caption competition

luka

you can be more your self by performing yourself than you can be by trying to avoid performing yourself.

Reactions: sus