version

The above is my best answer to the below, with the additional guess that models of what a woman can and should be are way more incoherent and self contradictory than mens

I don't read a lot of the stuff, but every article like that Emily Gould piece I have read seems to have been written by a woman. Maybe there are men writing like that too, but it seems much less common. That, or they're just not being published as frequently.

It is a specific type of woman, to be fair. It's not all women. It's mostly middle-class American women who lean liberal/progressive. Some might chuck in 'white' too, but I don't think that's as strong a factor.

Reactions: sus

mixed_biscuits

It's not that this demographic demands that its members be unhappy with their lot individually but it does demand that they be unhappy with the world around them for myriad reasons, and the personal unhappiness is an inevitable side effect. And also makes sense because if one is cognisant of the world being plemmirrulate with injustices and unfairnesses and unhappinesses then, being nonetheless content, makes you look a complete simpleton, even dumber than if you weren't aware of all these suboptimalities in the first place.

Reactions: sus

ghost

I think this Emily Gould piece is sort of downstream of Wollen's Sad Girl Theory. The case being made is that unhappiness in a woman is itself evidence of some sort of injustice or ill, and probably a structural one. Just don't expect Gould to explain what kind of ill it is.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think this Emily Gould piece is sort of downstream of Wollen's Sad Girl Theory. The case being made is that unhappiness in a woman is itself evidence of some sort of injustice or ill, and probably a structural one. Just don't expect Gould to explain what kind of ill it is.
Which prompts the question of whether female unhappiness is somehow fundamentally different from male unhappiness, and whether one can be addressed without exacerbating the other.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
As to whether there are inherent psychological differences between men and women, I'd say it would be extremely strange if humans were the only sexually dimorphic animal species with no behavioural differences between the sexes.

mixed_biscuits

As to whether there are inherent psychological differences between men and women, I'd say it would be extremely strange if humans were the only sexually dimorphic animal species with no behavioural differences between the sexes.
identifying-based.jpg