an accidental life

sus

This is local vs global optimization and there are, tbf, good reasons for global optimization—you can get yourself out of bad local optima that you can't get yourself out of otherwise. E.g. you can imagine how "one step at a time" could lead someone to get involved in gangs as a kid pretty easy, provided the right neighborhood context, in a way that "I will never get involved in a gang" type planning will save you from.

sus

I'm sorta tempted to say with 'chronically unlucky' people that it's too implausible a coincidence, there has to be something systemic underlying it.

You an roll a few huge Ls in life but not a nonstop train of Ls. At some point you have to say, the coin is fixed, I'm fudging the outcome.

Don’t be so literal! I’m playing but there is the aspect of misery acquiring it’s own gravitas over time, and the desire for our own subjugation and limits

• Haha
Reactions: sus

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Don’t be so literal! I’m playing but there is the aspect of misery acquiring it’s own gravitas over time, and the desire for our own subjugation and limits
Yeah I get what you're saying, but there's no way to stop it from sounding like "You asked for this."

I'm thinking of a relative of mine who's had a string of serious bad luck going on through almost her whole adult life, and who's managed to stay sane and even generally positive in the face of adversity that would have crippled a lot of people. She's the last person on earth you could accuse of wallowing in misery, in other words. And a few months ago she got diagnosed with cancer.

• Sad
Reactions: sus

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
fuck Shirley MacLaine and her new age nonsense about Holocaust victims brought about their own deaths, this is where this shite is leading, cut it out
You were dead right in that post you just deleted too, although I understand you might have wanted to delete it for personal reasons.

fuck Shirley MacLaine and her new age nonsense about Holocaust victims brought about their own deaths, this is where this shite is leading, cut it out

yes someone secretly enjoying or valorising personal failures is of course hinting at the fact that all those Jews were asking for it