Are you a nihilist?

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Ongoing prevalence of ultra high %/almost pure cocaine says plenty of current nihilistic and narcissistic tendencies. Something for the weekend? Sorted

From the absolute fleeting emptiness of its consumption to smashing heaps of gear jawing all night trying to ride each bump’s successively diminishing returns, drinking more for longer, talking more shit, on the phone at 8am ordering another session‘s worth, comedown-hangover combos, ooph

Everywhere, every pub, never seen it as popular until people film each other hoofing heaps off heads at the football ending up on fuckin TikTok

For what? To forget? To live? Because it’s very more-ish or because blurrrrgh get stinking drunk and twat loads of gak?

Definition of nihilism

wild greens

Coke isn't nihilistic in the slightest

If anything coke is the opposite of rejection and provides the most prominent sense of belief of all drugs, especially when you were a kid. If you're after it as a non-addict- these people do exist- then I'd say that you're in pursuit of proof of power rather than arguing against it. The hope of a bit of lemo.

Couldn't think of anything worse than doing it these days but I am on a different path now

version

Personal not religious

The collapse of religion's obviously a huge factor in the argument ours is an era of nihilism. There hasn't really been anything to adequately replace it and it's left people veering off in all directions in pursuit of something to base a life around. The problem for some is there's not much else with that overarching structure and element of faith to paper over the cracks.

wild greens

The most substantial conflict in our current moment is ultimately Judaism vs Islam so i would be inclined to disagree with that.

The lack of societal structure is internet driven and the immersion in the open ended environment it provides as opposed to a hypothetical historical reliance on religious hierarchy

version

The most substantial conflict in our current moment is ultimately Judaism vs Islam so i would be inclined to disagree with that.

It's a Western-centered argument, not a global one. The people making this argument were making it from within France, America, places like that. The Middle-East's obviously a different situation.

The lack of societal structure is internet driven and the immersion in the open ended environment it provides as opposed to a hypothetical historical reliance on religious hierarchy

These things we attribute to the internet were being highlighted prior to its arrival though. There were people discussing the collapse of truth and all the rest of it decades before the general public had access to dial-up.

version

Is that what this thread is about?

It's about Nihilism, which is a broad term. There are lots of discussions that can be had within it.

I think it's only self-defining nihilists who would refer to this current moment as an "era of nihilism"

There are people who view nihilism negatively and refer to an era of nihilism as a criticism, not because they're personally nihilistic.

Internet talk my man

🤪

version

No-one talks about death despite the fact we all die, despite the fact everyone we love dies, in an indifferent possibly infinite cosmos where in eternity nothing whatsoever remains of you. An event has happened and we are in it. The only sane response to me is living by the general rule - we are here to help each get through this thing, whatever ‘this thing’ is

There's a chapter in that Lasch book I've been reading where he discusses the terror of aging and claims people in America have been cut off from history and ended up in a culture where their sense of self relies on external validation of things which inevitably decline with age, i.e. beauty, physical prowess, new ideas. This, along with the elderly aging out of productivity under capitalism, has lead to a cult of youth and hyper-focus on the present as people age, see no generational continuity as they have nothing seen to be of value to pass down, and are left attempting to maintain the only things society does seem to value, the aforementioned beauty, physical prowess, etc.