Peckinpah and Zahler

Ian Scuffling

Noticed version posts a lot of director threads and he suggested I start one on these two. Finally got around to watching Brawl in Cell Block 99 last night and was discussing Bone Tomahawk with a friend. After my post yesterday about the way P and Z handle violence got me thinking about the connections between the two and why I find them both so compelling.

Noticed this trend in CB99 in the scene where Gill is questioning whether a soft a or hard r is a more accurate description of a POC he and Vince Vaughn's character are talking about; this is much more blatant in the "cancel culture" scene in Dragged Across Concrete. The way Zahler uses these "problematic" characters, people we'd revile in our personal lives, and allows them the space to express their most noxious impulses, on its face presents us more grounded portraits of people not often presented without judgment. This is not because he's a reactionary trying to platform "silenced" right wing ideas but because this is a much better way of understanding these people (not necessarily empathizing with them). He, like Peckinpah, understands that examining our most violent fellow citizens and what we may share with them (like Vince Vaughn's love for his family in CB99) presents us with a novel or at least deliberately discomfiting way of reevaluating why these people exist and why they think the way they do. But this isn't a political act; he's not interested in presenting a solution for these people and ideas but, again like Peckinpah, simply using them to tell genre stories without shying away from the strife problematic tendencies at their heart. They're not making descendants of I Spit on Your Grave, A Serbian Film or Cannibal Holocaust despite what atmospheric and bodily similarities may appear on the surface; they're using exploitation imagery to ask us why we are drawn to exploitation. The reason critics understand both filmmakers is because critics are accustomed to the aesthetic tendencies they use being employed in an attempt to enthrall and thrill instead of disquiet. They are students of violence, as Peckinpah would put it, which is why they employ images much more unnerving, like the natives in Bone Tomahawk, framed in ways that usually comfort us; is there any other way to make us question the narratives of other genre films?

I still haven't finished Peckinpah's filmography, The Getaway is next on the list. Would love to hear your guys' thoughts on both filmmakers' work, and if you think I'm wildly off here because I feel I haven't yet fully developed my analysis of them. Would also love any recommendations of similar films or filmmakers. Hope I haven't broken any rules, haven't posted a thread before.

maxi

I love films that don't moralise and don't treat the audience like children, and just 'show things' almost documentary style, like William Friedkin and Peckinpah and a lot of 70s films. I love "Bring me the head of alfredo garcia." But I don't think Zahler is really like that. He's deliberately trying to shock and disgust which is a different thing and more of a 'political act'. It feels like a reaction against hollywood trends more than an antidote to them.

I'd still rather watch this than some fake woke hollywood thing like Coda or whatever, but some of the anti-PC dialogue in Dragged Across Concrete felt contrived too. Like you can really feel the writer getting his view across rather than it just being characters talking naturally. So it's the same thing as the contrived oscar-bait films but in reverse. At times.

Ian Scuffling

I agree Peckinpah did something slightly different, but I don't think the anti-PC dialogue is as simple as Zahler jumping on his soapbox or being edgy for its own sake. I saw someone on twitter point out a few weeks ago that most of his characters who say and believe these things end up alone and miserable or even dead, and while Zahler is certainly not unsympathetic to their opinions he is clearly and vocally more interested in using those scenes to sketch out characters instead of preach, like in the most infamous scene in Dragged Across Concrete. If you can get past the kneejerk response, these are clearly careful choices in service of grounded, meditative portraits and not screeds. That said, Peckinpah's politics were more nuanced and left-leaning (his anti-war and anti-Nixon opinions he made quite plain) and he was less interested in injecting politics into his stories in any fashion, which did work in his favor in making more self-conscious genre films like Alfredo Garcia, which certainly would not work with Zahler-esque explicit political discourse added.

Some evidence in favor of a more lenient view of Zahler's stance. The Ringer article points out that that scene in DAC is not an inaccurate depiction of how cops talk behind closed doors.

linebaugh

I watched brawl in cell block 99 last night and it was pretty good. I wasnt as convinced as zahler seemed to be that he was doing something heady, a little 'quirky' and 'weird' in a way i wasnt completely sold on, but the violence was really good

luka

i love that ageing italian waiter style thinning hair greased back into a ponytail. always been a potent look.

linebaugh

Ive seen this one and bone tomahawk and dont really agree with @maxi take that its very purposely anti woke. The stories themselves maybe are attractive because they are sort of anti-zeitgeisty -one about evil native americans and the other the hero blue collar working class white man- 'whitesplotation' ian called them, but the actual execution I didnt really find pointed at all. Found it no more offensive than any scorcese movie.
But ive heard dragged across concrete is the one ppl typically point to so idk

linebaugh

I like movies that only go foward but not neccessarily to build any sort of tension. Just one controlled, steady walk foward. so oddly enough I think of a movie like dazed and confused to compare to this, the difference being that all the scenes in dazed in confused are fun. Zahler movies could stand to be shorter if hes gonna commit to his whole akward, quiet and quirky shtick

Ian Scuffling

I think you'll like Dragged more then, it's slower and a bit moodier and less verbose than his other two, also a lot more moving parts

version

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia's so grimy. A real "sweat, dust and whisky" film, as Luke would put it. The scene where Warren Oates is stabbing away at blocks of ice and shoving them in the burlap with the head, swatting flies away, is perfect. I can almost feel the texture of the ice breaking.

I like movies that only go foward but not neccessarily to build any sort of tension. Just one controlled, steady walk foward.

You should definitely watch it, if you haven't. It isn't entirely controlled, but it just keeps grinding forward as the protagonist's options close down.

version

just looked him up pleased he looks like this. perfect.

He reminds me of the pawn shop pervert from Pulp Fiction.

Pulp-Fiction-Maynard.jpg

maxi

Ive seen this one and bone tomahawk and dont really agree with @maxi take that its very purposely anti woke. The stories themselves maybe are attractive because they are sort of anti-zeitgeisty -one about evil native americans and the other the hero blue collar working class white man- 'whitesplotation' ian called them, but the actual execution I didnt really find pointed at all. Found it no more offensive than any scorcese movie.
But ive heard dragged across concrete is the one ppl typically point to so idk
Yeah im just talking about dragged across concrete there really, not seen the prison one.

I just watched Scum tonight for the first time as it happens, hard to imagine it beating that but I do wanna see it

version

I just watched Scum tonight for the first time as it happens, hard to imagine it beating that but I do wanna see it

Those old Alan Clarke films can be so rough. That one's the nastiest I've seen, but The Firm has some horrible moments too.

version

Watched an interview with Peckinpah the other night and thought he'd be much more gruff and masculine. He came off as quite soft and refined. Also, despite liking the films I've seen of his, I didn't buy his response when pushed re: violence. He takes a position of overseeing a process of dissection and depicting it "as it really is", but slow-mo gunfights with squibs popping off all over the place aren't that, and I'm sure he knows it.

He does say The Wild Bunch was a failure and he was wrong in thinking it would be a therapeutic thing, that audiences would be exorcised of their own violence by watching it, as (Barry) Norman brings up a documented example of African soldiers watching it and just getting amped up to go and do it themselves. The stuff that came after, like Straw Dogs and ... Alfredo Garcia, definitely seems harsher, less stylised and more sparing too, but I also think he was personally thrilled by depictions of violence and, for whatever reason, felt he had to dress it up a bit, strike a certain tone and suggest it was a purely altruistic endeavour on his part, at least in that interview.

Interesting to compare to him to Tarantino, who's had no qualms about openly stating his love of onscreen violence:

Bonus Tarantino on Peckinpah:

Peckinpah's also a heavy presence in that Alex Cox film, Walker, I watched a couple of days ago. It's full of bloody, slow-mo shootouts and at one point Ed Harris and his boys actually march over a grave marked 'Sam Peckimpah'.

Screenshot from 2024-03-22 09-58-27.png

Ian Scuffling

I would quibble with the idea of him being thrilled by it, though I don't think you're entirely wrong; I think his stylization of violence, the slo-mo and squibs etc, are actually great examples, and clearly influential, of the sort of subjective filmmaking now much more prominent in action films (though for much different reasons). I was watching a commentary on The Getaway last night and the critics pointed out the opening sequence is replete with this subjectivity; just as in that opening scene in which time and space are so blatantly manipulated through editing, Peckinpah slows down and cranks up the volume in his shootouts for affect like any exploitation filmmaker, but this is because because he believes that is how we would actually process the events as primary witnesses and not out of the desire to thrill. I think this is why he is rigorously watching children's reactions to outrageous violence and the way they play-act it; consider the kids at the beginning of The Wild Bunch and the boy on the train shooting Doc with a water pistol in The Getaway. He is concerned with the symptoms of overexposure and desensitization, especially on the minds of children, and these are his attempts to critique violence in popular cinema. Again, you may be right that he was still thrilled by it, which I think actually makes sense and I would argue his style is also his attempt at self-criticism for his own proclivity for all kinds of violence.

If I remember correctly Cox said Pat Garrett was one of the only films they had with them on the set of Walker and watched it countless times during production.

Ian Scuffling

Also, if you would like to get really mad, I watched a terrible video essay on Straw Dogs this morning and the comment section was correspondingly retarded.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240322_141345_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240322_141345_YouTube.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240322_141504_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240322_141504_YouTube.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240322_145425_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240322_145425_YouTube.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 5