When My Ship Comes In

luka

Edmund said something very good and smart, he texted me that Penelope is the earliest case he can think of, waiting for Odysseus

Joanna Newsom's Divers is about gendering of this relationship. The woman waits, the man goes out and returns.
what about that woman waiting for Perseus(?) to see the white sail but he forgot to put it on so she jumps off a cliff. oops.

sus

Yes it's very good to free associate on ships but now it's time to progress

The metaphor could just as easy be a lottery ticket. Or a letter. Or as Stan pointed out, waiting for a drug high. It's about waiting for the thing that will fix you up make things perfect. It's about the structure of longing and desire and projecting onto some outside unobtainable and on the horizon object everything you lack, everything that could make you whole

sus

And the desire for success and what happens to that longing for success, to ambition unfulfilled, delayed. Do you ever fully give up on the ship or is some part of you always keeping an eye. Do you ever really abandon the crowsnest the widowswalk, searching for shore searching for the ship. There's a reciprocity -- the sailors await the shore just as strongly as the shore awaits the sailors.

luka

And the desire for success and what happens to that longing for success, to ambition unfulfilled, delayed. Do you ever fully give up on the ship or is some part of you always keeping an eye. Do you ever really abandon the crowsnest the widowswalk, searching for shore searching for the ship. There's a reciprocity -- the sailors await the shore just as strongly as the shore awaits the sailors.
and what might it mean to give up?

luka

my dad told me hed given up at some point and i was appalled. not so much for him, but at the notion i night do it myself.

Reactions: sus