version

only explanation in the thread that doesn't explain why pop has kept producing good new stuff as rap hasn't

It's a description, not an explanation. I'm talking about trends I've seen people discussing re: the decline of hip-hop, not reasons for its decline.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I wonder if it's because there isn't really a unified centre for musical distribution anymore, rather than the music itself?
There are so many thousands of rap LPs that seem to come out every year that I know I'll never hear. Isn't this problem just the deluge with the absence of a central player/clearing house to pass them onto consumers?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Every thread turns into a discussion re' the internet but I do think we're all overexposed to music (of course WE are, being nerds) but I mean not just in the sense of everything that's coming out but everything that's EVER come out. And clued up to a greater degree than anyone ever has been re: all the genres, the influences, etc etc. We compare and categorise everything and dismiss it pretty fast.

At the same time, as third sort of touched on, it's the desensitisation of being blasted with constant stuff (and not just music, music sharing the same stage with video, film, gossip, etc.).

Would be interested to be directed towards all this apparent good pop music that's been coming out. Genuinely!

version

i think it’s as simple as the genre has run out of ideas. That’s what happened to rock music. There only a finite amount of revolutionary ideas to be had under specific genre constraints

Yeah, this is what I'm leaning towards. The end of a cycle. The internet arguments have some truth to them, but if that were the whole story then it would be happening to every genre simultaneously and we wouldn't be seeing things like a country resurgence.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
i think it’s as simple as the genre has run out of ideas. That’s what happened to rock music. There only a finite amount of revolutionary ideas to be had under specific genre constraints

Imo the same can be said for art and culture as a whole and I wonder if we have passed a point where we can expect things to be new as often as they used to. And if so, does it matter?

Benny Bunter

did he switch his allegiances to trini? even that seemed to be stuck at dejected stasis. Rebel Sixx of course stood out (before he died) but I think barty got stuck at the sex god aspect and never quite caught onto the melancholy.
Trini was really boring apart from rebel sixx.

shakahislop

Imo the same can be said for art and culture as a whole and I wonder if we have passed a point where we can expect things to be new as often as they used to. And if so, does it matter?
i know i have said this a million times on here, but loads of new art and culture stuff is going on. the problem is that the frame of reference that we all have, which is that we are looking at films, music, books and maybe visual art is one which worked for quite a long time but which doesn't suit the task anymore. we've got this default way of looking at these things for the newness. but the action is in forms that we're not used to thinking about. it doesn't help that at the same time as all that changed we also lost the critical (as in criticism) infrastructure that helped us make sense of the chaos, ie magazines and so on that corralled a lot of people into more of a shared frame of reference, funnelled the interest of groups of people to the same things. it also doesn't help that so much of the new stuff in new forms is shit. the main problem i think though is that we haven't found a way to talk about a lot of this stuff properly. partly i think coz, maybe not on here idk, but coz a lot of people think it's a bit below them

shakahislop

i think people have pretty intense experiences on subreddits for example. it sounds totally ridiculous as a sentence but i do think it's true. that counts as new culture to me. very very new. i think that maybe part of what's going on is that there's less investment or interest in art in the broad sense of the word. and much more interest and energy in other kinds of mostly online culture in its place. to be specific stuff like podcasts, selfies, twitter, micro-videos, youtubes, reading the guardian fifteen times a day.