other_life

bioconfused
'wanting' is a species of physical determination. 'indeterminate' in the sense of 'non-predictable' != 'not determined/determinable qua physical'

other_life

bioconfused
the distinction between self-determination / self-direction and 'free will' is politically salient. free will is basically the ideology of punitive institutions. it imprisons people in an antinomy of praise and blame

mixed_biscuits

mixed_biscuits

the distinction between self-determination / self-direction and 'free will' is politically salient. free will is basically the ideology of punitive institutions. it imprisons people in an antinomy of praise and blame
But they can't do otherwise so what's the problem?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
neither does determinism exclude choice, it just means that all choices are in the final instance determined by the material world, and hence it becomes a case of choosing between determinations.

Like I said, a pseudo-problem for new age malcontents. the problem only makes some sense if a soul which can be punished in an immaterial afterlife is factored into the equation.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
What you want is irrelevant in hard determinism. It's gonna happen anyway.

But don't you see? I can trap you in a cuckolded dilemma here. Various events in the material world may determine that shagging and marrying your wife is a possibility, in which case I'm right, or various other events may determine me to want to marry my cousin, in which case, I'm also right!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
But don't you see? I can trap you in a cuckolded dilemma here. Various events in the material world may determine that shagging and marrying your wife is a possibility, in which case I'm right, or various other events may determine me to want to marry my cousin, in which case, I'm also right!
Immaterial souls that defy physical determinism by supernatural means are all very well, but putting @mixed_biscuits in the same sentence as "shagging" and "wife" is just too ridiculous a thing for me to even countenance.

mixed_biscuits

Also, retroactive causation has been shown experimentally.

mixed_biscuits

Like I said, a pseudo-problem for new age malcontents. the problem only makes some sense if a soul which can be punished in an immaterial afterlife is factored into the equation.
No, and no, back to the books for you.