kid charlemagne

It's interesting tho re all the discussion on boomers and Bobby Dylan (maybe @kid charlemagne has something to say here)

because Dylan's "cool" and "cool" broadly does not seem to me like permeability or openness. It is a preemptive shutting down.

Dylan was incredibly internal, incredibly closed off to the world in many ways. Yes he soaked up the times and is an expert trendchaser (I mean this in the least pejorative way possible—I think he's been very open, e.g., about doing protest songs in the early 60s because "the people wanted them"). He was open to some drug experimentation, became possessed by the spirit of Christianity. I have friends who swear that marijuana works by opening you up, making you "cool" with everything. And yet something about the black-turtleneck-beatnik type broadly strikes me as closed off. I can't articulate or square it yet.
Yea, i think you're right on these points with Dylan, he is "cool", but two words I'd hardly think to describe him as are "open" and "vulnerable". Sure all artists are open in some sense given they are opening themselves to the world with their art, but on the other hand, they don't open you to the meaning, which they are then badgered over for life for how closed off they are about what their songs mean and what they mean in their existence. The coolness I believe is broadly through the charisma, swagger, and confidence he's had to pull off everything he's done, especially with the voice of his.

Reactions: sus

kid charlemagne

The guy I knew in college who was closest to a Bob Dylan Lou Reed type—mysterious, "fuck you" cult charisma—always wore the same set of flannel shirts and jeans and every shirt looked vaguely the same. There was a "look" a brand and it gave him powers and it also shut him off to changing, becoming something else. And I think it was a mix of terror (which you get with Dylan, "fragile as a winter leaf" Joan called him) and defensiveness, the brand was armor the shirts were armor. But it also gave him an air of independence, of being his own distinct person, that lent him an iconicity, a cult of personality. Perhaps that's what I'm projecting onto the Dylan situation.
lou reed and bob dylan. two of the most important people in my life

sus

"When I was three feet tall / And wide eyed open to it all" (Joni, Paprika Plains)

@sufi do you think ganja opens you up or closes you down?

mixed_biscuits

@sus imagine walking down a windswept and rain-lashed seaside promenade with grey building after grey building when you spot a marvellous amusement arcade festooned with myriad twinkling lights and sparkling colours and the sound of gaiety and laughter within. You rush to the entrance doors and thrust them open like a child eager to see his long lost mother again. Your nose stops against a slab of black obsidian, seemingly endless in its depth and weight. In sooth, there is no entry here. That arcade is me. Welcome.

luka

he has some giftss but the are fatalley milaligned and also he has no moral caracter

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Last night when I was scanning my own stoned brain I realised how unstable it feels to be stoned, you're either hyperfocused or all over the place, it's OCD and dementia almost at once

sus

Yesterday I got stoned — I've been thinking about ADHD lately – I have noticed many times that when I'm stoned I become aware of things that I'm usually unaware of (I mean physical things around me) – And that I becoming quite good at (or at least, competent at) solving minor issues I've ignored –

In other words, being stoned allows me/compels me to 'hyperfocus'

And yet at the same time it makes my mind hare off all over the place, so that I forget e.g. the stove is still on, or what I was going to do before I noticed that all the objects on my shelf could be better arranged

This explains, ofc, why I always enjoy being stoned when i have something to occupy and focus me, but as soon as i lie down to try and sleep, disaster looms