Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I'd say my favorite actors are Philip Seymour Hoffman and Isabelle Huppert. They both tend to play complex and intense characters, with aspects of depressiveness and even psychopathy.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Also love Michel Simon, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Cary Grant, Barbara Stanwyck, Dominique Pinon, Paul Giamatti. Paul Newman was my favorite actor for a few years in high school and college. Lately I've really liked Nic Cage and Tom Waits and Kristen Stewart and Michelle Williams. Love Parker Posey and Sam Rockwell too.

version

Paul Giamatti
paul-giamatti-sideways.gif

sus

You're not a fan? Or are you afraid to embrace such obvious greatness?
Look he's a great actor but really what he is is a Great Actor. Maybe The Greatest Actor. Famous not just for being a great actor but for being recognized as a Great Actor.

craner

Beast of Burden
It's usually one incendiary role or performance that stays with me, an almost freak coincidence of actor, director, role and time.

I'm thinking of, for example:

Anton Walbrook in Colonel Blimp
Clara Calamai in Ossessione
Meiko Keji as Scorpion
Mario Adorf in La Mala Ordina
Cher in Moonstruck
Sophia Loren in Marriage Italian Style and Two Women
Lo Lieh in King Boxer
Michael Douglas in Wall Street
Silvana Mangano in Bitter Rice
Dietrich photographed by von Sternberg
Kara Wai in almost any Shaw Brothers film
Maria Callas as Medea
Marilyn and Russell in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
Gian Maria Volonté in Faccia a faccia
Jean-Louis Trintignant and Klaus Kinski in The Great Silence
Jennifer Lopez in Hustlers
Michèle Mercier in Cemetery Without Crosses
Chen Kuan-tai in The Boxer from Shantung
Rosalba Neri in Top Sensation

But the actor who I like in almost every film I see him in (Christmas in Rome, Letters to Juliet and Camelot being notable exceptions) and who has been in more films I love than anybody else is, of course, the great Franco Nero.

MV5BMmFhZTI2MjItZjY1MS00MjUzLWFlMmItMDg3NTAxNmI2N2Y5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjMxMjMzODc@._V1_.jpg

sus

I haven't seen any of the films Craner mentions except Cher in Moonstruck and she's amazing. Do you have a rec where I should start @craner

mixed_biscuits

craner

Beast of Burden
I haven't seen any of the films Craner mentions except Cher in Moonstruck and she's amazing. Do you have a rec where I should start @craner

Clara Calamai, you'll be astounded that film was made under Mussolini.

Then watch Profondo Rosso to see her come out of retirement for a demented turn in 1975.

• Wow
Reactions: sus

mixed_biscuits

mixed_biscuits