The Universal Memory.

sus

Your a bit confused but it's okay because i understand this perfectly and will clear it up for you

sus

The tower is a physical metaphor for structure

Structure is how we persist on the waves of natural change and chaos

It is equivalent to habitability

sus

But the tower is inevitably liquefied. All this is in the tarot card. Imo it's the best tarot card the most insightful and philosophical

sus

But I think they're meaningfully distinct. I think the dream of the garden is of a world that doesn't need structure, systems, tools, tech. Everything is provided. It exists as an inversion of reality. A utopia given life by reversing reality

luka

i have no idea what you're trying to get at Gus. what are you taking issue with here?

luka

has Pynchon ever read the Wake? there's a reference to Thurn und taxis in it early on that perhaps he picked up on.

sus

if you're aiming for the stars trying to build a systems novel that is about the failure and limits of systems, then the Wake is your one-stop shop. And that's IMO what he was trying to do.

sus

He also probably read Tristram Shandy which is a similar thing, a critique of systematicity, a comic novel that understood the tragic quality of all human attempts vanities constructions

sus

Error is everywhere in Tristram Shandy; it’s the most glitch-ridden book imaginable—it’s all glitch. Everything gets lost or misdirected; every action generates unwanted consequences. For the system-elaborating Walter, Tristram represents no more or less than the disaster zone in which all systems are undone; in the travails Sterne heaps with almost sadistic pleasure on the boy, Walter sees “my system turned topside-turvy,” the “fine network of the intellectual web” that he feels is man’s due get “rent and torn.” “Unhappy Tristram! child of wrath! child of decrepitude! interruption! mistake! and discontent!