your boomer canon

other_life

bioconfused
all my really favorite boomer music was primarily made and listened to by the boomers who died of AIDS or living clandestine lives

my working idea is that this set of boomers who survived ended up hanging with older gen x-ers and this partially explains how bands like the smiths or duran duran (or the replacements) 'bridge the gap'

other_life

bioconfused
people over-credit the smiths with being ironic but i think "still ill" expresses kind of a vicious sentiment. even though its one of my favorites

other_life

bioconfused
both comments ofc from an american perspective. figures like arthur russell belong here also

mayo thompson's second life as a conceptual art and post punk svengali in the uk allowed him to pitch the red krayola as more influential/ahead of their time than they in fact were, though

0bleak

yeah you're right they are actually quite decent.

I meant Morressey.

he invented woke.

In the states, The Smiths were the kind of band that you would only see on late night MTV like 120 minutes, where as Duran Duran were like Taylor (sic) made for early MTV.
I don't think they ever played this controversial one though which is why i had no idea who made it when i heard it on a mixtape someone made: